Do you believe in god?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by esaul17, Aug 14, 2005.

?

Do you believe in god?

1. Yes, one of an established religion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but just the idea of a God

33.3%
  3. No

66.7%
  1. J-Flex

J-Flex Ambient

but what about god? was he also created out of nothing.. just BANG, there god was??

i think we simply don't exist thinking this way.. [/b][/quote]
    the creator must be exsisted all the time in order to start to push the first step

besides we do exsist. as socrates said "i know i exsist because i think that i exsist"

2. Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

See, I think that just because we don't understand something--like how our universe (from the smallest atom up) came to exist doesn't mean it had to be the work of a Creator. When people didn't know how the sun apparently came up and down in the sky it was attributed to a God. Gods brought rain, etc. Granted this doesn't disprove God, but it certainly doesn't prove he exists, either.

Religion does not own morality. People go insane without faith? C'mon, that's silly. Look at all the athiests/agnostics in this thread alone. Are we all destined to go insane?

As for China...
    "However, there is no strong evidence outside of literary references that cannibalism was socially sanctioned in ancient China, nor has there been any definitive studies that suggest that cannibalism was common during the 20th century in China." - Wikipedia

Is Wikipedia correct? I tend to trust them, but I've never studied Chinese history so I certainly don't have the knowlege to make an accurate judgement. However, as un-racist as we claim to be humans seem to have a tendency to assume that different cultures are somehow inferior or less moral then our own.

A lot of people believe that all religions are really praying to the same God, but the thing is people will never agree on what God deems "right" or "wrong." Do you want the Hindus to have to accept Christ as their savior? Yet Christ has nothing to do with their religion. Or what about the Pagans? They were persecuted by people in the name of Christ. You say everyone is really praying to the same Creator, yet people's interpretations of that Creator are vastly different.

Oh, and I didn't mean to rag on Christianty specifically in the above paragraph--people have been killed in the name of other gods as well--that's just how it came out.

To sum up this way-to-long post I'll say that weather or not you believe in God certainly doesn't effect my opinion of you in the slightest, I just think your reasoning is a little faulty :)

3. Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

And how do you know that's the truth? Because if you ask me, that's, well, I'll be nice and not say that word, but it certainly isn't, in my opinion, the truth.

4. Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

To add to my previous comment a few pages back, I don't believe that God created the world. I don't really believe in God being someone, but, like I said before, I believe he/she/it represents all the good things in life such as love.

5. Ryan

Ryan You Greasy Bastard LPA Super VIP

Exactly, like you said before "I love you"

6. J-Flex

J-Flex Ambient

@ Whimsicality
    I agree that people used god as a solution to their answers
    But how would you explain everything around us and the perfection of our mind,sences,creators and the whole exsistence? all suddenly came out of nothing? even the evolution must be driven by someone
    At the time the religion didn't exsist people were living without any rules of life
    From what i have seen from Discovery channel documentairy it was something else.
    I don't say people should all believe in christ or someone else, i would say a religion without prophets without any condition except been good in life and not harming each other, but the problem is that thanks to diffrent cultures good and wrong are diffrent.
    I believe that all the prophets had the same mission to make people to believe in the same God.
    killing in the name of god is just using religions to effect people. All open minded moslims don't believe that Osama believes in Islam. Even in the early years people have been using religion to use other people for example by selling wood of the cross of Jesus.

I know i can't convince and i don't need to convince you nor anyone else. it's just that both of us has diffrent opinion about it.

7. Stick N move

Stick N move Well-Known Member

but what created the creator?

8. J-Flex

J-Flex Ambient

but what about god? was he also created out of nothing.. just BANG, there god was??

i think we simply don't exist thinking this way..
    [/quote]
    the creator must be exsisted all the time in order to start to push the first step

besides we do exsist. as socrates said "i know i exsist because i think that i exsist"

9. ROFLcopter

ROFLcopter Well-Known Member

yes i believe in god....

there has to be a superior being...

and its wierd coz earth is the only planet with water and oxygen.... and only earth has life form on it

10. D_A_V_I_D

D_A_V_I_D Pure Pwnage

That we know of, i highly doubt that in the whole universe Earth just happens to be the only planet with life on it. It's just too impossible!!!!!

But back to God, well I pray, so i must believe in God, but not so much in religion. Religion makes up too much crap inbetween.

And as for what created the creator, it's a question like what came first the chicken or the egg. You just have to believe in the idea that the creater just existed. Full stop.

Also, so many people believe in science (including me), but what if science is wrong, it seems so hard to believe but that's what people would've said when religion explained everything................ :hmm:

This is all to complex.

11. Whimsicality

Only planet we know of, you mean.

Also, that's taking a narrow view of "life form." Couldn't there be other forms of life that are biologically completely different from us and survive on something other then oxygen?

What I've been trying to say is that just because we don't understand something, or something appears to be a mystery doesn't automatically mean it's God.

12. Scorpio

Scorpio New Member

:eek: What The HELL IS going on with all you people!!!!!
    :preach: I am A FIRM believer & Almost Had An Heart attack when I saw the poll!!
    :mad: I can't Believe how many of you people out there don't believe (w00t) in GOD & How many of you only believe in the Thought of Him! He created us all & is watching us from Heaven!! He's Like a Loving Father that is always gaurding us from the Attacks of the devil :devil: GOD Changed my life when I took Him as my Father!!! :'( All of You That Don't Believe should take a second look @ your lives and see what he has done for you!!!! He wants to be your King :king:

13. Razan

Razan SUGAAAR!

...LMAO
    Cloud has nothing to do with your post!

Word.
    My brother got really mad at me after I turned Atheist so he starting asking me,"Then who did this and who made this?" etc.
    This is exactly what I was trying to tell him. Just because you don't know doesn't mean it's God!

14. Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

No, I think you need to start accepting other's beliefs, or lack thereof, and if you choose to not at least accept beliefs, then your time on this forum will be short.

15. Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

No, I think you need to start accepting other's beliefs, or lack thereof, and if you choose to not at least accept beliefs, then your time on this forum will be short. [/b][/quote]
    I thought the use of smileys was quite clever though. ^_^

16. Darcy

Darcy LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I think people should believe in whatever feels right to them and not be assholes about it.

Personally, I believe that there is something but I have no idea what it is and I most likely never will.

If anything, I would be a Buddhist. Which is more of a philosophy than a religion anyway. But I will never have the will power to completely devote myself to any religion or philosophy, or anything of the sort.

17. Whimsicality

This is why Darcy is one of the coolest people ever.

But, personally, I find God debates fun :)

18. Darcy

Darcy LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

As do I. There is always either something interesting, or someone making an ass out of theirself. Either way, I enjoy reading it. :p

19. Scorpio

Scorpio New Member

:( Sorry Tod and all of you out there that I offended Yesterday!
    I was just a little shocked when I saw the poll & got carried away!!

Well further I would like to Compliment you on this great site And the forum ROCKS!!

I'm Willing to accept the other religions but are just a little sad about the rest.

Well I hope the offended ones out there would forgive me and accept my appoligy. :unsure:

Blessings to all!! :D

20. *MoOn*

*MoOn* Well-Known Member

yes i do beleive in God ^_^ however i feel that when no one hear what i want inside my self .. God will kno that :)