Do you believe in god?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by esaul17, Aug 14, 2005.

?

Do you believe in god?

1. Yes, one of an established religion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but just the idea of a God

33.3%
  3. No

66.7%
    CloserToCrawling

CloserToCrawling Ambient

I don't believe in God at all. Neither do I believe in heaven or hell. I just like to say hell a lot. :mellow:

insanechica007

insanechica007 Well-Known Member

lol, me too.

Ant

Ant Ambient

I'd agree with that. I can't see it being fully choice, and I can't see it being fully uncontrollable, either.

I don't agree with Christians who consider it a sin, personally. I think it's silly to call it a sin whenever it's never specifically stated as such, and whenever the Bible's various translations have changed so many times (it's interesting if you search Google for homosexuality being translated in the Bible -- it's been changed so much in its translations, I really don't think it means the same thing anymore).

And even if it is a sin, a person is forgiven of their sins (at least in my denomination, the Methodist religion).

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I'd agree with that. I can't see it being fully choice, and I can't see it being fully uncontrollable, either.

I don't agree with Christians who consider it a sin, personally. I think it's silly to call it a sin whenever it's never specifically stated as such, and whenever the Bible's various translations have changed so many times (it's interesting if you search Google for homosexuality being translated in the Bible -- it's been changed so much in its translations, I really don't think it means the same thing anymore).

And even if it is a sin, a person is forgiven of their sins (at least in my denomination, the Methodist religion). [/b][/quote]
    Indeed. I was raised a Methodist, so I know all about being forgiven for your sins. It's dumb to call anything a sin if you're just forgiven for it anyway.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I used to beleive there was a god but then I found myself asking why this 'god' would allow thousands of innocent people to die everyday. If there was a god then the third world would not exist and Africa would have as much money as every other country has, if there was a god then no disease would exist, if there was a god people wouldn't be homeless, if there was a god people wouldn't be allowed to start war etc.

As for myself I don't think god's ever helped me in anything...if anything things just keep getting worse.

There's probably something but it doesn't give a shit about mankind.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

That would probably be the case if humans hadn't of given into the temptation of Satan and stuff.

That's if you trust what the bible says. If we wouldn't have eaten the fruit or whatever the snake offered, there would be no disease and whatnot probably, because we'd all live in a paradise protected by God. But we didn't follow the rules, thus disease and shit.

And I sound like a preacher.

Luke

Don't get me wrong the bible makes alot of sense but I can't agree with half of it. I beleive there might be something to the bible codes but not the actual thing. Sorry.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

I don't agree with any of it, what I said was thinking from the Christian side of things.

Trust me, I'm like you. I'm the polar opposite of a Christian.

Adam

Adam !!!! LPA Super Member

I don't believe in god. Yet I sometimes ponder, how the fuck did the universe begin if there was nothing to create it.

Paul

Paul The Ultimate Victory LPA Super Member

Thats how I look at it.

Something had to start it all.

Luke

As I said...There's probably something (probably that created the universe) but whatever it is doesn't give a shit about humanity.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

There are tons of theories on how the universe began. You just have to look for them. They're not going to come to you.

The Big Bang is one. There's also a Big Bang w/ God. Then Evolution covers the animals after the creation of the universe. There's even an Evolution theory w/ God. Creepy.

Paul

I try to stay away from bibles and all those stories. But yeah, anything could've created the universe.

I guess we'll never know if there is a god until you die.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

I've come to accept the bible as one of the best fictional stories ever told. Think about it.

If you want some monsters and magic, throw out your Harry Potter books and just read the bible.

Paul

Hahaha fuck Harry Potter. :lol:

I went to Greek School for 6 years and go to church almost ever week yet I never pay attention. I might read the bible when I bored or whatever.

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

The bible is just a way of telling people what we should do and not to do. I actually wanted to read the bible this summer :lol:

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Christianity isn't all that bad in relative terms... I mean, look at Scientology. That's the epitome of fucked.

insanechica007

insanechica007 Well-Known Member

lol, amen!

Aaron

Aaron Foundation LPA Super Member

no. i'll present my reason tomorrow when i have energy.

20. Detri

Detri Well-Known Member

*takes a deep breath*

The short answer is one of the poll choices (Yes, but just the idea of God.)

Personally, I believe that every religion is incorrect in some ways and correct in others (with exception to the extremists). There are things in this world that we cannot control, yet seem to be orchestrated so perfectly that coincidence just has to be ruled out. I am unsure about this 'being' being omnipotent, because, as it was said before - omnipotence is just such a far fetched theory and it has many flaws. Something a step below the definition of omnipotence is where I would put this being.

I'm a little odd in my beliefs. I am not a Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, or any of the major or even minor religions - I sort of have my own religion. (I've yet to name it, so you can name it if you'd like!) My personal belief is that there is, as I mentioned before, a being ... whether it be materialized or not. This being seeded the universe. The big bang theory cannot be explained without a cluster of gas or whatever, so where did that come from? The only explanation from my standpoint is that someone or something seeded the universe and set everything into motion.

Science did its job from there on. This is where my 'religion' goes off on a tangent and somewhat combines with science fiction.

Once everything was set into motion, this being's job was over as far as life in the universe. But this being also has to have a place to reside - right? It's impossible to say, really, but it seems to me that one with this much power would have a master plan. I believe that God has his own little area, Christians would call this heaven. My opinion is that God cannot be judgemental as he is NOT omnipotent, and cannot see into your soul, but rather, he can send you on your next journey.

Once you leave your physical form in the universe, your soul detaches itself from its vessel (your human body) and you are sent to this heaven place - not as an eternal resting place, but as what you could call a train station. Perhaps what happens here is chosen by you, or by God. This is just a theory, but however you lived your life dictates where you will end up, as you've gained rational thought and decision making ability, God will give you a choice of where to go next. I'm not totally sure on the whole 'reincarnation' theory where you gain physical form again after you die, but this seems like the most likely scenario. You would perhaps gain physical form somewhere else, as whatever - perhaps your previous human form or something totally different whether it be human or animal/plant/whatever. Or you would retain your soul "form" and live in a state of (un)consciousness that resembles a dream world. This is where I've come to a crossroads in my opinion. Either way, I'd like it. But ... do you lose memories when you die? I don't remember any past lives, so my theory really scares me more than it comforts me (which most religion really is - comfort).

And yes, I fear death more than anything else, because uncertainty is the ultimate pain-causing element in human emotion.

I've cried over the thought of all my friends/family ... and myself dying. It's a haunting existance, this humanism.