Do you believe in god?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by esaul17, Aug 14, 2005.

?

Do you believe in god?

1. Yes, one of an established religion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but just the idea of a God

33.3%
  3. No

66.7%
  1. session0677

session0677 Well-Known Member

well yes because in my religion we are taught about him

2. Paul

Paul The Ultimate Victory LPA Super Member

One night my mom was driving home from her friends house and saw a black bird fly across her car.

The next night my sister is murdered.

3. thatrsdude

thatrsdude Well-Known Member

I'm an athiest, but I respect anyone's religion as long as they don't force it on me.

4. Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Yay! Someone who has the same belief system as me! :lol: [/b][/quote]
    :lol: erm..

5. Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

That's what my Mom says :lol:

She's very very un-Christian and she's like "Here, Lyndie, read this part about the universe being created, it's really good!"

But down to personal beliefs...I believe that there is a lot we don't know about the universe. Maybe there is some kind of "higher being," but I seriously doubt it's the "god" of any religion.

Earlier in the thread someone asked how you could believe what some scientist told you about the atmosphere or wind chill or whatever. Maybe it's been answered, but I sort of skimmed so forgive me if I'm being repetitive...The major difference between believing in science and believing religion, in my mind, is this: Scientists (most of them, anyway) are striving towards discovery, constantly revising and testing current theories. Most religions I have encountered are asking you instead to take texts that are thousands of years old on a matter of faith.

But even beyond that, the reason for my lack of belief is this: I've never seen anything to convince me otherwise.

6. iamrighthereandnow

iamrighthereandnow Well-Known Member

scientist also have to back up by evidence and test their claims.

priest however doesn't have to produce evidence of his claims. if priest was a scientist he'd have to produce evidence jesus could walk on water or raise the dead to substatiate claim of jesus's miracles.

7. Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

scientist also have to back up by evidence and test their claims.

priest however doesn't have to produce evidence of his claims. if priest was a scientist he'd have to produce evidence jesus could walk on water or raise the dead to substatiate claim of jesus's miracles. [/b][/quote]
    Exactly.

8. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

That's what my Mom says :lol:

She's very very un-Christian and she's like "Here, Lyndie, read this part about the universe being created, it's really good!"

But down to personal beliefs...I believe that there is a lot we don't know about the universe. Maybe there is some kind of "higher being," but I seriously doubt it's the "god" of any religion.

Earlier in the thread someone asked how you could believe what some scientist told you about the atmosphere or wind chill or whatever. Maybe it's been answered, but I sort of skimmed so forgive me if I'm being repetitive...The major difference between believing in science and believing religion, in my mind, is this: Scientists (most of them, anyway) are striving towards discovery, constantly revising and testing current theories. Most religions I have encountered are asking you instead to take texts that are thousands of years old on a matter of faith.

But even beyond that, the reason for my lack of belief is this: I've never seen anything to convince me otherwise. [/b][/quote]
    You're amazing.

9. Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Well heres how it goes:

In 2000 years if the human race is still around people will have forgotten about religion,then someone will dig up a superman comic and think this superman guy was a God and they'll make a religion out of that.

10. Will

Religion has been around for far more than two thousand years. Religion has gone back as far as humans have been able to think for themselves and have been able to speak and communicate. It will definitely exist in two thousand years. The same religions may not exist, but religions in general will exist.

11. $pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

You cannot seriously believe that... can you? :wth:

12. Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Do I believe in God? Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I guess I don't know where the fuck I stand on this subject. Wether or not there is a God, I don't know & most of the time I don't care. Whatever the answer is, I know I won't find it by debating opinions & beliefs on an internet message board. I'll wait til I die thank you... and hey, I may not find out then either

13. Luke

You cannot seriously believe that... can you? :wth: [/b][/quote]
    Well they might not have forgotten abot religion but one thing is for sure,if someone digs up a comic book about a superhero in the year 4222 they willl beleive that these are the teachings of a god who had super like powers.After all acient discoveries such as the Samerian Tablets stones have been interpretated by people to speak of gods etc. but how do they know that? For all they know it could be an acient peice of writing saying 'Town This Way ->'.

14. Holiday

Holiday Married and on a life-long adventure! LPA Super VIP

Well they might not have forgotten abot religion but one thing is for sure,if someone digs up a comic book about a superhero in the year 4222 they willl beleive that these are the teachings of a god who had super like powers.After all acient discoveries such as the Samerian Tablets stones have been interpretated by people to speak of gods etc. but how do they know that? For all they know it could be an acient peice of writing saying 'Town This Way ->'. [/b][/quote]
    :lol: !

I like that a lot.

15. Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

I don't believe in god but i believe in chance and coincidens

16. Will

Well they might not have forgotten abot religion but one thing is for sure,if someone digs up a comic book about a superhero in the year 4222 they willl beleive that these are the teachings of a god who had super like powers.After all acient discoveries such as the Samerian Tablets stones have been interpretated by people to speak of gods etc. but how do they know that? For all they know it could be an acient peice of writing saying 'Town This Way ->'. [/b][/quote]
    I would hope that people in 4222 are smart enough to realize that it's just a damn comic book and street sign.

Humanity isn't going to get stupider.

Well, most of humanity isn't going to get stupider.

17. Link04

Link04 Ambient

^ Agreed. I doubt people would make such asinine assumptions. That's like me walking into your house and spotting a toaster, and then claiming you worship the toaster god.

18. Luke

No its nothing like that,the superman comics tell of an extraordinary human being with super powers who killed evil.The toaster doesn't say anything,it just has the brand label :p

The human race is very stupid,every breakthrough in technoligy of weapon design is stupid which will lead to war which is stupid and pointless when you stop to think about it,lives ending because of these weapons is stupid because its a waste of life.The human race's nature is to destroy itself,thats not smart.Our smartness is our stupidity.

19. Link04

Link04 Ambient

Such a contradiction will terminate itself.

The human race itself, is brilliant, in my opinion. At least, relatively and by nature. It's a DEVIATION from our logic and reason (that enable us to survive) that creates a want for weapons and violence. By basing your judgement solely on the flawed logic of violence, you ignore all the good the human race has done, like cure diseases, and...at least TRY to make everything, the world and themselves included, a better place. The human race is a cognitive, progressive one, it's the illogical things that are made commonplace that are destroying it.

20. Luke

Such a contradiction will terminate itself.

The human race itself, is brilliant, in my opinion. At least, relatively and by nature. It's a DEVIATION from our logic and reason (that enable us to survive) that creates a want for weapons and violence. By basing your judgement solely on the flawed logic of violence, you ignore all the good the human race has done, like cure diseases, and...at least TRY to make everything, the world and themselves included, a better place. The human race is a cognitive, progressive one, it's the illogical things that are made commonplace that are destroying it. [/b][/quote]
    I fully understand what you're saying and I do agree with it however lets not forget that some diseases such as smallpox and rare forms of HIV were created in labs.

And the reason I focus on the violent side of things is because violence is everywhere,you will not find one country in the entire world where weapons exist for the purpose of killing which is quite funny if you think about it that the human race can't solve their violent needs with their bodies (kicking,punching etc.) but have to create weapons,even the smallest little person could kill someone 5 times the size of them with a gun,its a smart design but its stupid to waste lives therefor making it a stupid creation.This is why I admire the martial arts,the concepts include very few weapons and can kill but atleast you're putting effort into it,what effort is there to pull a trigger?