Evanescence's Amy Lee bashes Christina & Britney

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Will, Sep 30, 2003.

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

It is shitty that people do that, but in defence of Christina I'll say that I heard her live once (on TV, mind you) and she actually sounded really good. Not ultra-perfect-this-is-prerecorded good, but naturally good. So regardless of what you think of her image or her music, she can sing.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Yeah, Christina can sing. She has an awesome voice when it's not watered-down.

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

^I also like Christina's voice.

lyingfromyou

lyingfromyou Banned

:angry: i agree that amy lee do that to get britney spears haters to like her music. evanescene is kinda pop too so she needs to shut the hell up. shes sold out and her music sucks and shes ugly. god damn why everybody like evanescene....i hate this band so much.

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

i like her voice. its a gift to the music industry, but the image takes over. she should do a video with just the song and a black screen. the vision should supplement the sound, not the other way around like the movies.

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

Evanescence is nowhere near pop.....thats like saying Slipknot can be compared to Justin Timberlake....its just not happening! And you have a real problem with bashing every single band someone talks about, especially a band that most of this forum likes, so maybe you should just keep that to yourself.

Whimsicality

i like her voice. its a gift to the music industry, but the image takes over. she should do a video with just the song and a black screen. the vision should supplement the sound, not the other way around like the movies. [/b][/quote]
    I would have a ton more respect for her if she did that. I remember reading a quote somewhere where she said that while she was promoting 'Beautiful' she was doing all these photoshoots in baggy sweatpants and teeshirts, but no one used those photos...People just kept using the 'Dirrty' ones (no pun intended). Kind of sad that the media does that. Anyway.

And Evanescence isn't pop. They have a poppy chorus here and there, but the music as a whole is not pop.

LIKE OMG da noo justin album soundz just lik Slipknot OMG! ^_^ :p

:whistle:

Phantom Duck

Phantom Duck You are my detonator. LPA Super Member

Evanescence is nowhere near pop.....thats like saying Slipknot can be compared to Justin Timberlake....its just not happening! And you have a real problem with bashing every single band someone talks about, especially a band that most of this forum likes, so maybe you should just keep that to yourself. [/b][/quote]
    People say Linkin Park are pop/rock, so i think saying Evanescence are a bit pop as well is fair. Aren't LP heavier than Eva anyway?

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

lyingfromyou - At least evanescence makes their OWN music and doesn't rely on their sexuality to sell records. If there is any side you take, it should be Amy's!

I totally agree with her, and relying on other things to promote their music is something the rock industry is starting to be inflicted by.... :(

Well, its just the culture that we live in that society wants everyone to think for them.......

BTW, Keaton, AWESOME AVATAR/SIG!

Bryan

Bryan Guest

There's guys saying how they think it's stupid do use sex to sell and gain listeners, but I bet 75% of you guys all stop flipping through channels when you see Britney or Christina half naked in their music videos.

And it's not like Britney or Christina are hurting anyone. So they have their boobs practically hanging out? Who cares. I know I sure as hell don't.

Will

I don't really mind it, but I'm a guy, so I won't mind it.

It's the fact that they use their sex to sell their records. They're supposedly "role models" for all these young girls and stuff, and they're basically saying how it's OK to go out and look like a whore and things like that.

I really hope Evanescence never does anything like that. Even if they begin to lose their fans or whatnot, I hope that they'll just keep making their music even if everyone stops liking it. I respect the fact that Amy Lee isn't going to go out and dress like that. I mean, sure, she dresses weird and stuff and shows skin sometimes when the band plays live, but she's not going to dress like Christina or Britney any time soon.

Though... that would be a nice fantasy. :chemist:

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

:shifty: yeah, buddy. ;)

Anyway, yeah I agree.

Bryan

Bryan Guest

I don't really mind it, but I'm a guy, so I won't mind it.

It's the fact that they use their sex to sell their records. They're supposedly "role models" for all these young girls and stuff, and they're basically saying how it's OK to go out and look like a whore and things like that.

I really hope Evanescence never does anything like that. Even if they begin to lose their fans or whatnot, I hope that they'll just keep making their music even if everyone stops liking it. I respect the fact that Amy Lee isn't going to go out and dress like that. I mean, sure, she dresses weird and stuff and shows skin sometimes when the band plays live, but she's not going to dress like Christina or Britney any time soon.

Though... that would be a nice fantasy. :chemist: [/b][/quote]
    I kinda think they "lost" their role-model status after each of their first records.

Will

I kinda think they "lost" their role-model status after each of their first records. [/b][/quote]
    Most likely. That's really when they both decided that their bodies are more important than their music.

Not like they really cared about their music enough to actually write it anyway. :lol:

I kinda see what you mean but just remember this: respect is earned, not deserved. And some artists on the music scene these days rarely deserve respect. I don't think Amy actually wanted to bash Britney and Christina. She was simply stating her opinion about those two in a polite way. Other people would probably be like "Britney is a slut/whore/b*tch" and she didn't actually insult them to that degree. Besides, I think she made a very good point although some people don't even realize it. Christina's only redeeming feature is that she actually has a voice and she can sing - but the whole body-baring thing is so unnecessary. If there are people like Amy Lee who can sell records WITHOUT selling sex, then Christina and Britney are probably going off in the wrong direction.

Bryan

Bryan Guest

About the whole sex selling thing...I think that's an incorrect statement. Let's be honest, not a whole lot of males listen to Britney Spears and Christina Aguilara(yes, there are some, but not many) and I highly dought many females are buying their albums because they are half naked.

The only thing it's really helping them with is probably getting their music videos more watched, because ultimatly all guys want to see is them half naked...they don't want to hear their music.

So the sex isn't really selling their music. The only thing it might be selling is posters and anything with pictures on.

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

People say Linkin Park are pop/rock, so i think saying Evanescence are a bit pop as well is fair. Aren't LP heavier than Eva anyway? [/b][/quote]
    Evanescence is pretty heavy live. Well, in my opinion they were much heavier at the show they played here in Hawaii :wth:.

I don't know though, just my opinion.

---

More on the subject, though. I'm a guy and I don't really mind the fact they use their bodies, but I do find it a bit degrading for women. I'm not bashing them, but I think Rap (no offense) already does that job for them. Every rap video you see, you have women in barely/next to nothing on groping these rappers, and with the styles that seem to be 'in' now, where you dress in your small tops and what not, it's just wrong, sometimes. I think it's all right to have these 'sexy' videos and images, but not all the time... Sometimes it's better to be civil and wear a bit more clothes just to show you still have self dignity of some sort :chemist:.

Again, just my opinion.

Whimsicality

I agree Keaton. It's why I hate most rap.... In the words of my friend Darcy: "I'd be more afraid if I did understand the world of hip-hop."

Darcy

Darcy LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Aww you're quoting me! :D

EvilMonyaki

EvilMonyaki Extremely H! Vltg3

i've never liked either of them (christina or britney) but i do like Amy Lee!! so yeah i agree!!