freedom is overrated

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by frgt10_soldier, Feb 29, 2004.

frgt10_soldier

frgt10_soldier Banned

ive come to believe that freedom is overrated. yeah here in canada its pretty good compared to other countries. but honestly who gives some old people the right to pass laws and expect everyone to follow the law. the word freedom is overrated. i think of freedom as a single word oxymoron. that is just my opinion. freedom allows you to go to school and pay for it all. then you get a student loan to finish univeristy to get a degree so you can get a job to work all day so you can pay off the studnet loan. so you keep working more aso you can get that nice car you want but you gotta pay insurance for the car because youll probably end up crashing it when you grab a cd and drop it on the floor. on and on and on i could go...lol..absolute freedom will never roam this world at any time. after death freedom will be absolute.
    well anyways whats your opinion on ''freedom''??

Human beings need to be conditioned. There can never be absolute freedom or absolute democracy because we all have an uncivilized side to our personality, and I don't think some people who behave in a certain way deserve the freedom they've been granted. Freedom isn't overrated, it's too often abused.

cellardoor

cellardoor Banned

well i dont belive anyone's opinion is wrong. but i dont think freedom is really freedom.

ass_kicker

ass_kicker Banned

my opinion is there is no real freedom. some f*ckers say freedom is about living as a free person aka not being literally chained down or locked up somewhere. but i think thats just bulshit. we're all prisoners of the human race. kind of. what i mean by that, is that we are all prisoners of what other people expect us to do/be. we are all prisoners of our time. and when you try to talk about freedom, all you get is "oh, but of course you're a free person". just because i can eat what i like doesnt mean im a free person.
    to sum up - there is no freedom. theres just stupid people who believe in it. well i dont.

That's what my mom likes to say. "You're naive and gullible to think that true freedom and democracy actually exists." There are always limitations and social restrictions that stop people from doing things. If freedom exists, why the hell are we even discussing gay marriages? Gay people would've had the "freedom" to marry whomever they wish.

ass_kicker

ass_kicker Banned

yeppers, i agree with you dreamer. peace.

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

Freedom.. yess.. live on a island with no people, there's ya freedom ;)

BroknSolace

BroknSolace Well-Known Member

its selective freedom!! The govt can pick and choose what kind of freedom it will allow the general public to have. Sure, maybe we have freedoms that some other people or countries may not have, but its still not total freedom. Honestly, i dont know if total freedom is even possible. There is always somthing to control what you do, not that its always a bad thing.

Phantom Duck

Phantom Duck You are my detonator. LPA Super Member

In democracy, one's freedom stops where others' freedom starts. We live in communities where we can do EVERYTHING compared to totalitarian regimes, and i can't complain for that. True that some governments are too freedom-hating, though :shifty:

True. People shouldn't take their freedom for granted, but that doesn't stop us from evaluating the amount of freedom we actually have. Some freedom is better than no freedom. :lol:

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

Human Nature consumes our lives. Because of it, we will never be free.
    People take things for granted and want more things. They get them and demand more and will never see what they think is freedom.

I am free because people in other countries suffer and are actually slaves and other s*it like that. However, I will never know how free I actually am until I suffer.

People are mixing freedom with inconveniences. They are complaining about everything in their life and saying they are not free.

Freedom is not overrated.

Phantom Duck

Phantom Duck You are my detonator. LPA Super Member

Wow. My thought exactly.

ass_kicker

ass_kicker Banned

hmm... i dont agree with you, duffster and duck... i guess i just dont feel free at all.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

What is your DEFINITION of 'Free'? If free means getting everything that you want, that's just not possible.

I think people's attitudes need to change. We shouldn't be focusing on freedom, but Progression. We should all work to progress the human race as a whole.

Of course we can't do it now. We are such a corrupt and selfish society (myself included) that we can't possibly think that way. But we need to start changing today.

Everyone can't live a life of luxury, because who will be there to provide for you? What we need is to mix in the communistic ideas of being more of a 'community' with the freedoms and individualistic nature of captialism. (I actually did an essay on this! I should post it up.)

Link04

Link04 Ambient

The term 'freedom' is definitely throw around far too easily. Freedom, or at least absolute freedom, is an ideal, not pheasible (sp?) by human kind because humans are incapable of anything perfect.

Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

Freedom isn't free.. I have no idea who go the idea that we all have 'freedom of speech' or that this is a 'free country'. Nothing's ever free and no one is. We all are like these little hampsters spinning on a rotating wheel all day. Freedom to us has no meaning. Freedom.. isn't even real.

If this world was to be free, we'd have to rid of all the power and money hungry idiots who don't give a #### about anyone else but themselves. But unfortunatley.. that won't happen.

Maëlle

Maëlle I've seen it all

Depends of of your definition of freedom. If you go to the simplest expression of freedom: 'being free to do whatever you want without limits' then it's only the cute word for anarchy. Anarchy being impossible to last for long, the 'purest' form of freedom is not meant to exist. And yes, I think freedom is overrated in some cases.

Link04

Link04 Ambient

From Websters:

Freedom: 1 the quality or state of being free as: a. the absence of necessity, coercion, or constraint in choice or action.

Hmm, do we still need? Yes. Are we coerced? To some degree, yes. Our our choices entirely our own? That's debatable.

Just my opinion.

ass_kicker

ass_kicker Banned

wow. you actually had enough will to get the definition ^_^

LD50

LD50 Well-Known Member

WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENTH

Freedom is a hard thing to put a point on. Something else for each person.