Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown!

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Andrea, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

After several more listens, my emerging favorites are 21 Guns and Last of the American Girls.

2. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I've listened to it enough to where I think I can make a proper decision. Good album, much better than I expected. No 4 1/2 stars though, Rolling Stone was too generous again, solid 3 1/2 though. About as good as American Idiot for different reasons.

My only real problems are that they sound like they tried to make every song an anthem, which gets old after awhile. And the lyircs suck, but I was expecting as much. Other than that I have to say I'm very happy with it.

3. barnes80

barnes80 Well-Known Member

well at least I got you on one band! ;)
    Idk, I just went through my library and tried to find people that would at least be better then the people they already choose but I think that also led me more to finding better indie bands which was not my original plan. (indie meaning the sound not the independent)

As far as the album goes, I'm starting to like it more and more. I find that I enjoy the first half a lot more then the second but that is prbly because my car trips only last the first half so I havn't gotten very familiar with the second half. It has some catchy moments but some of it seems really corny. I think it will be an album I hold on to for a few months and then drop.

4. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Come to think of it I don't see why Against Me! wouldn't tour with Green Day. AM! toured with the Foo Fighters not long ago so it's probably not as though GD aren't punx enough for them or anything like that.

5. Astat

Add Restless Heart Syndrome to my list of favorites. It's the song with the auto-tuned vocals that I complained about before, but this song has to be one of the most epic-sounding things Green Day has ever recorded. It's allegedly going to be the next single after Know Your Enemy, and I say good choice, although some of the softer portions in the first half of the song remind me of Dream On by Aerosmith. :lol:

6. Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

How would you guys rank the albums now?

For me, it would be 21st Century Breakdown > American Idiot > Dookie > Nimrod > Insomniac > Warning > 1039, Smooth > Kerplunk!

7. Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Dookie > *

Though I haven't heard the new release, or Kerplunk :lol:

8. Dean

Dookie > Warning > Kerplunk > Nimrod > 21st Century Breakdown > American Idiot > 39/Smooth > Insomniac

9. Astat

Dookie > American Idiot > 21st Century Breakdown

The rest are all about equal to me, I don't think they have a bad album, but the rest of their albums all have "filler" tracks, if you ask me. I also think 21st and AI are a tossup for 2nd and 3rd at this point...ask me again in 5 years and I'll see if the new album has as much staying power as American Idiot did for me. :lol:

On another note, I've been watching some of the live performances on Comcast's site...and ugh, I've already been force-fed way too much "I SAID HEYYYYY-OHHHHH!" courtesy of Mr. Armstrong. I had almost forgotten the fact that he throws that annoying crap into literally EVERY SONG when they play live. But w00t @ Jason Freese getting a saxophone solo during Static Age.

10. Dean

Everyone deserves to see this picture at least once
    [​IMG]

11. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I guess the American Revolution is to Green Day what the French Revolution is to Coldplay? Awesome picture in any case. :p

12. $pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Green Day and Coldplay have too much in common.

Like, how their new albums blow copious amounts of ass. I've never been a huge fan of Green Day, but goddamn. This album is just awful, in my opinion. It's like a larger and more bloated "American Idiot". We need innovation and new, original ideas. Not expansions and going "retro" and shit.

Ugh.

13. Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

I do agree that it's a "more bloated version" of American Idiot, but I'd rather have this than other garbage that is currently in rotation on the airwaves. They deserve all the credit and praise they get.

14. Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

As I disagree on both counts, I thought I should say that this album wasn't going 'retro' for Green Day at all, it was an evolution of the American Idiot sound.

15. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I think it's safe to say they've dropped whatever "punk" pretense they might have had and have turned into a full-on arena rock band. I don't really have a problem with that, though.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  16. $pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

retro in the sense that they're trying to be Queen.

17. Dean

This post is almost three years late and in reference to the wrong album.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_black_parade

I don't know how anyone would come to that conclusion about Green Day's latest. If they're trying to be any other band it's more likely some sort of cross between their own existing work, The Jam, The Who, and U2.

18. Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

19. Astat

I think for a band to sound like Queen, their singer has to at least sound a bit like Freddie Mercury...

20. Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

lol wut. :bookread: