Help me plan...

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by Amy, Dec 6, 2005.

Matt

Matt Official Ghost of the LPA LPA Super Member

First off, IMO, LA isn't all that great. There's really nothing special about it other than it's the only major So-Cal city besides San Diego. You might like San Diego. I was born there, and I go there on a regular basis. Next, there's Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, and Six Flags. Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, and some parts of LA are good for shopping, and San Diego and Anaheim have good restaurants. Then, you'll definitely want to stop in San Francisco. They have a great Chinatown, and if you're there on March 7th, you can even celebrate Metallica Day (Yes, there is such a thing there). The only other good place on the west coast I know of is Vancouver. I went there for a week a few months ago, and it was awesome. They basically have everything, and it's all fairly close together downtown. If you go there, I recommend Steamworks (Great restaurant).

On the east coast, I've been to Washington, D.C., but that's about it. If you're interested at all in American history, that's the place to go. Just be careful what you bring around, because security has been even tighter since 9/11. Try and go during the barbecue festival. I think it's sometime in June, but I don't remember. All I remember is that they had good bands playing and great food.

That's all I got.

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention New York Fucking City is a "can't miss".

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

St. John's, Newfoundland is certainly a good choice.

Quebec City is a beautiful place. And everyone knows English, so don't worry.

There's alot of cool things in Edmonton, Alberta. Like the West Edmonton Mall, the largest shopping center in the world.

And Vancouver, British Columbia is supposed to be a beautiful city. Good weather.

Toronto is really smoggy, like a Canadian version of LA, but there's some cool tourist sites there like the CN Tower. I wouldn't recommend it over the other places, though.

That's what I can tell you for Canada.

Versamilatude

Versamilatude Well-Known Member

Come to cedar point and there hotel resort with there water park. besy amusement park in the world has around 16 - 17 rides and one that is 420 ft tall pretty gun go there . there site is www.cedarpoint.com

Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

Disneyworld is in Florida, and Disneyland is in California.

Aaron

Aaron Foundation LPA Super Member

Anything between and above Alberta and Ontario is practically useless. Well, not useless, just unheard of.

As for Vancouver, it's an absolutly amazing city. The coastline, relative closeness to the Rockies, not very smoggy, and there is so much to see and do. hell, Amy, I'll come and meet you in B.C. then we can fly to Newfoundland from there. I want to go back!

And Quebec, Quebec City is just amazing. One of the greatest places of Canada.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I drove through Pennsylvania on Interstate 80, from the Penn-Ohio border, to the Penn-NJ border. Most boringest thing I have ever driven through, there was not one large city across that 500 mile stretch of highway :p Surpsingly, I was able to pick up a modern rock station on the radio most of the way, which was the only thing that made the trip bearable

Few comments from someone who's been a few places:

Avoid Missouri. This state sucks. The best thing St. Louis has to offer to people is an upside-down metal U that stands 600 feet tall. But if you enjoy traffic, crappy drivers, confusing roads and an overall lack of things to do, then by all means, go to STL. If after visiting STL, you wish to see something even worse, get on interstate 44 and take it down to Rolla, Missouri. You can say hi to me and we can be borded off of our asses together. Whoever decided the middle of the country is a good place to build a giant city needs to be hung by the balls.

The good ol Disneyworld v.s. Disneyland debate. I went to Disneyworld in Orlando, a long time back, and the tour guide person on the shuttles from the parking lot to the park said all of Disneyland can fit in Disneyworld's parking lot. Obvious where to go. Orlando is fun, but as with any city in the south, you might wanna learn some Spanish :p

I was in NYC over the summer. As for crime? Avoid shady areas, and you're fine. Per capita, NYC has one of the lowest crime rates in the country. My sister's lived there for 5 years and has never, ever been mugged, robbed, shot at, whatever. Our hotel was in Queens near Elmhurst. Nowhere near the tourist spots in Manhattan, but close to my sisters house. The city kinda looked ghettoish, but was very safe. The subway was about half a mile from our hotel, and I was safe walking between the two late at night (midnightish) alone and with an iPod (hot item among theives). As for the city itself, there is a shit ton to see. After a week, we hardly saw any of it. My only gripe was I'm used to hopping in my car in my driveway, and driving it to a parking lot in front of my destination. New York isn't like that, it's all subways. I'd never attempt to drive there.

New Orleans: It was fun, and if they can rebuild it to what it was, go there. Again, don't attempt to drive there. The people are fucking crazy behind the wheel.

DC. Been there. If you give a shit about American history, you'll love it. If you're like me and can't wait to move the hell out of this country, you won't like it so much, since the only tourist spots are history-like things.

Darcy

Darcy LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Minnesota has a shopping mall with an indoor theme park, water ride, roller coaster, and everything. If you're in the area, you might want to go. I think it's called the Mall Of America. Very entertaining place.

ChooseYourPoison

ChooseYourPoison nymphetamine

Go to Boston. Boston is soooo pretty.

Darcy

I completely agree with you.

Aaron

Aaron Foundation LPA Super Member

Can't wait to go to Boston for Easter. Mom's in the Boston Marathon. Anything amazing I should see?

Darcy

Yes. Go to the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum if you like art and old buildings. It's incredible.

Testament

Testament \m/ LPA Super Member

Winnipeg, Manitoba. We have virtually nothing really exciting, except for NO freeways, an appetite for homicides, the MTS Centre, the longitudinal centre of Canada and me, Tomi and Joe.

However, if you go about 500 miles south, you're in Minneapolis. Best city in the world.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Even though our winters suck [-51C, anyone remember that?], our summer is fucking awesome if I remember correct. Usually we get up to ~30C.

You'll have a great time in Winnipeg, trust me. :p

Testament

Yeah. Our summers pwn, if you're NOT LIVING IN WOLSELEY/WEST END.

*ahem* tell her about how great Roxy Lanes are.

silverblack89

silverblack89 Member

Dont go anywhere in the U.S cause u live here and have already know how we live and what foods we eat go out the country and visit somewhere exotic like PARIS!!:censored:

Testament

uhhh.....read under her name. She doesn't live in the US.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Since when has Australia turned into the US? HUUGE difference. I mean, g'day mate!

Roxy Lanes royally SUCK. Rossmere pwns all.

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

I have gotten this list of the difference between the northern and southern states in the US. Study the differences. (Actually this is pretty funny)

The North has coffee houses, The South has Waffle Houses
    The North has dating services, The South has family reunions.
    The North has switchblade knives, The South has Lee Press-on Nails.
    The North has double last names, The South has double first names.
    The North has Indy car races, The South has stock car races.
    The North has Cream of Wheat, The South has grits.
    The North has green salads, The South has collard greens
    The North has lobsters, The South has crawdads.
    The North has the rust belt, The South has the Bible Belt..
    In the South: --If you run your car into a ditch, don't panic. Four men in a four-wheel drive pickup truck with a tow chain will be along shortly.
    Don't try to help them, just stay out of their way. This is what they live for.
    Don't be surprised to find movie rentals and bait in the same store....do not buy food at this store.
    Remember, "y'all" is singular, "all y'all" is plural, and "all y'all's" is plural possessive.
    Get used to hearing "You ain't from round here, are ya?"
    Save all manner of bacon grease. You will be instructed later on how to use it.
    Don't be worried at not understanding what people are saying. They can't understand you either. The first Southern statement to creep into a transplanted Northerner's vocabulary is the adjective "big'ol," truck or "big'ol" boy. Most Northerners begin their Southern-influenced dialect this way. All of them are in denial about it.
    The proper pronunciation you learned in school is no longer proper.
    Be advised that "He needed killin" is a valid defense here.
    If you hear a Southerner exclaim, "Hey, y'all, watch this," you should stay out of the way. These are likely to be the last words he'l ever say.
    If there is the prediction of the slightest chance of even the smallest accumulation of snow, your presence is required at the local grocery store. It doesn't matter whether you need anything or not. You just have to go there.
    Do not be surprised to find that 10-year-olds own their own shotguns, they are proficient marksmen, and their mammas taught them how to aim.
    In the South, we have found that the best way to grow a lush green lawn is to pour gravel on it and call it a driveway.
    AND REMEMBER:
    If you do settle in the South and bear children, don't think we will accept them as Southerners. After all, if the cat had kittens in the oven, we wouldn't call 'em biscuits.