In The Wake of 'Minutes'

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Top2Bottom, Mar 26, 2008.

Top2Bottom

Top2Bottom Well-Known Member

Now that we are about 11 months into the life of Minutes to Midnight, what do you guys expect from LP's next album? What do you want to happen? What do you think needs to happen?

For me, I think this album is going to be an important one in terms of where LP stand amongst the good and the great bands over musics diverse life. If we look back in time, the great bands have really had a signature sound that stays with them their entire careers. Sure, they evolved. But they always maintain that trademark. Look at U2 for example. Everybody knows a U2 song when they hear it. But Vertigo is very different to With Or Without You. The Beatles didn't really need to evolve as they were only around for about 9 years, and that was when the music industry was a slow changing thing.

With that said, LP need to find what makes them what they are. They can't put out another Minutes to Midnight. It was a good album, but far to jam-packed with too many genres. As it's been said before, they do have a lot of different influences, but it needs to be morphed a little better. LP have always had that angsty/hurting influence and DJ scratching and things, so if they hold onto those aspects we have their very own sound. Hahn can not disappear from their music. In essence, he is what made them different. Sure Limp Bizkit used the same angle, but Hahn is 3 steps up from DJ Lethal. And Chester and Mike sing about meaningful things, apose to Fred Durst's "fuck this fuck that" lyricism. In Pieces is a step in the right direction.

I truely believe that LP have what it takes to become the band of it's time. That being from about 1998-present. I'm hard pressed to find great bands in this time. As sad as it is, Coldplay spring to mind. They are highly popular worldwide and have been called "the new U2". Not my cup of tea, but who am I to judge? Who else is their? Good Charlotte? Nah. Nickelback? No way. It all comes down to this album, as to what people make of LP. If they put out a mix of random songs again they will ask 'where is LP headed?' and 'what is LP's real sound?'. It needs to be well defined.

I expect the guys to release a heavy, but also very melodic album. With songs similar to No More Sorrow being at the top end, and In Pieces/What I've Done style being the softer. Also I'm gonna throw it out there, but maybe a cover of a Nine Inch Nails song as a bonus track wouldn't go astray. On that note, when the time comes for someone to do a cover of an LP song, I'm sure I will pick it apart and hate it.

I have faith that LP will release a great album. When Minutes came out, I thought it's a step in the right direction, but almost a practice run for their greatest album yet. The drums in a few songs were just awesome, and songs like them could be integrated with some scratching from Hahn. I accidentally scratched my Minutes cd and then unknowingly listened to No More Sorrow. With the stuttering at the start, it sounded like a ultra cool remix. But, I dont think a remix cd would be the way to go anymore...at any point.

Well thats what I think about what ned to be done, and what will be done. My heads all over the place, which explains the eratic writng but I'll leave it up to you guys

LPlover15

LPlover15 Well-Known Member

maybe they will realize that the fans that loved them before and now absolutly hate them, maybe they will try and go back to the way they were before? i personally like what they were before and i still like them the same way as they are now. i dont know about this but once linkin park realizes that they are losing alot of fans..they might just go back to what "hybrid theory" and "meteora" was all about.

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

IMO, they're never going back to their HT/Meteora sound because it's just dead. We might be fans but otherwise it's dead. They'll probably expand on the MTM sound, making ti sound more complex and stuff IMO.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

In short, I want their next album to appeal to the majority of the masses as a definite 'THE greatest album LP has produced thus far'. I'm not sure what to expect at all to be honest. My expectations rise and fall throughout the days, and I'm trying to keep my anticipation to an all-time low, and hopefully their next effort will shock the hell out of me. Just hoping for the best, expecting the best, and wanting the best. They'll probably hitting 40 years of age by their fifth* studio album.

LPlover15

well i know that they cant go "back" to what meteora and HT was. but if they kinda change it up a little? i mean you have to admit it meteora and HT r two of their best albums ever. that is what made them what they are today.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

well, yeah, you know, when people cover NIN, i almost sort of feel the same. ha.

emceehahn

emceehahn Member

if some of you say that LP will not go back to they were, i agree with that.
    you know,imo,may be the changed their"style"to stay exist as long as they could.
    just imagine if they keep on that"rap-rock"style...
    well, that"rock" is still okay if they are getting older and older, but what about the "rap"?
    can y'all imagine an old man doing a rap?
    probably he will run out his breath and die...

LPlover15

well. i know that i was just saying...as soon as they figure out that they are losing fans wat IF they try and go back to meteora and HT. i like them now and wen it was HT and Meteora. i was watching a LP video and mike said that he didnt want to rap because it didnt sound right with the music. and the band wanted him to try and sing. and he did and hes doing a great job at it. they were also talknig about that they WANTED to do something different. and they also said tht they didnt want to make an album tht ppl expected and i think thts part of the reason alot of ppl dont like them anymore....

"can y'all imagine an old man doing a rap?
    probably he will run out his breath and die..."

mike is only 30.....hes not old at all. and there are alot of older rappers....lol.

Rosh

Rosh Well-Known Member

I think it would be cool to hear a hint of age in Mike's rapping vocals (but on a record far from now, please ;)). I would love to hear his lyrics improve with age and experience too.

LPlover15

what do you mean by "to hear a hint of age in Mike's rapping vocals"?

Seinfeld

Seinfeld We are the nobodies LPA Super Member

If you mean you'd like to hear his voice change...I think it has...a lot

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Compare him now, to how he sounded in Xero. That change is massive.

LPlover15

i agree. it has changed. i do think he sounds wonderful then and now. hes just really amazing at rapping. i used to hate rap! and i still do but mike shinoda is an exception he tells it like it is. and i like that from him.

emceehahn

emceehahn Member

yep!
    shinoda's rap is totally different from anybody. it shows that he got his own style. but i, still, can't imagine if mike keep on rapping after 20 years from now on (hopefully they're still exist)
    well, never seen an old people do rapping (correct me if i'm wrong^^)
    but after all, imma big fan of'em, i'll keep on supporting'em!
    keep rockin' LP!

LPlover15

no ur right (^^). i do still hope they exist they will only be like...50 in 20 years....lol.
    yea no matter wat im always gonna support them. they r one of those bands that arent on the news cause they have done something wrong like you see everyday on t.v. thts wat i like about them they r good role models....except they can be immature at times....lol.