June 18, 2017 - Clisson, France | Hellfest 2017

Discussion in 'News' started by Filip, Jun 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

I wonder what you're referring to... :lol:

2. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

If that's at me, @minuteforce, I never said Heavy was too mainstream for me. I said it's too shit for me.

And I'll put ITE in my top 10 LP just for the fuck of it. That song is awesome.

Michele likes this.
  3. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Nah, wasn't you ^_^

4. brady

Nah don't worry, Filip.

5. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

If anything, this album proves how passionate Linkin Park fans are about the band's music. Look at how many multi-page threads we've had discussing the band's huge change in sound on this album. That's pretty respectful for a band that's been around now almost 20 years. Just goes to show that while maybe they're not as 'mainstream popular' as they used to be, their fanbase is still very passionate.

Sasuke likes this.
  6. Dannyc

Dannyc Well-Known Member

MTM to me still sounds like "Linkin park" despite the change. OML doesn't sound like LP at all. Songs like given up, bleed it out, no more sorrow, I'll even throw in QWERTY even tho it's not on the album and because that song is fire have that Linkin park sound. I think if the band put a few of songs that sound like "Linkin park" on OML with the pop songs than we wouldn't be having this conversation and the album would have got much less hate. If anything what LP should have done was ease their entire fan base on to this pop direction change just like they did with MTM

Filip likes this.
  7. Derek

But technically not sounding like them at all was their goal for this album. There's a video they released recently where they're having a band meeting (Chester is eating cereal in the background :lol:) and Chester pretty much says that they wanted people to hear the songs on the radio and be like "I don't know who this is but I like it...............whoa wait a second, this is Linkin Park?!". So they actually were deliberately trying to make an album that sounded nothing like them, that people absolutely wouldn't expect them to do, and that hopefully turned some heads in a good way.

Now granted, I don't think they expected to get quite as heavy of a backlash as they did from some of their fans, but I will say that the exact reaction "wow this is Linkin Park?! I like it!" has come from some of my non-LP listening friends. So the band did accomplish that goal, even if it made some of their longtime fans very upset. :shrug:

Sasuke likes this.
  8. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I'm one of those people and I'll explain my reasoning.

Linkin Park, in one way or another, were always taking a little from the latest trends, barring maybe Hunting Party. HT/Meteora? Nu-metal, and a lot closer to what a lot of the not-Limp Bizkit nu-metal bands were doing than people remember. But they always put their own little "spin" on whatever they were doing, and that helped a lot. A Thousand Suns? Came out right when EDM and dubstep were really gaining ground in the US. Is that an 'EDM and dubstep album'? Not really, but I insist it's hard to argue they didn't see what was going on around them and try "their version" of it. Before going entirely into it with Steve Aoki and Recharged. But for the most part, it was either "their version" of the sound, or what they had done was so old and established (the "U2 sound" of Shadow of the Day, etc) where you couldn't quite say they were being 100% original sometimes, but they weren't completely aping someones style.

disclaimer IN MY OWN PERSONAL SUBJECTIVE OPINION /disclaimer, I can't say the same for One More Light. Not to the extent I could before. That's not Mike and Co. hearing and being inspired by songs they had heard and taking a crack at their own versions of them, it's them almost copying the styles outright. And if the styles were 30 years old, it's less noticeable or blatant than when they're 3. Minutes might not have been setting radio on fire with unadulterated originality, but at that time, there weren't 100 What I've Done or Bleed It Out sounding songs on the radio. Like I said once before to complete bafflement, nearly everything on OML could easily sit alongside a Now That's What I Call Music and not sound the slightest bit out of place. LP have always genre shifted and "been influenced", but this is the first time in my nearly 20 years of following them I've ever really seen them drop any pretense of not being influenced by outside sounds or trying to "make it their own".

kcg, Lotus and Michele like this.
  9. Dannyc

Dannyc Well-Known Member

I hear you. I remember Chester saying in an interview that everytime they make an album it fees like hes in a different band. And thats very true, thats why I think they should change the name of the band everytime they put a new record out lol

10. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

So in other words, time to bring Rick Rubin back :kappa::kappa::kappa::kappa::kappa:

Blake and Michele like this.
  11. Derek

Linkin Park, Linkin Parks and Recreation, Linkin Community Center, Linkin Beach, Linkin Projects....word.

Fair enough. I respect your opinions here :).

12. brady

:wat:

I can't even imagine the marketing nightmare that would be. They might as well just shoot themselves in the foot every time they release a new album.

13. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Actually, I think I agree with everything you said here. All the other albums had their own twists on sounds and weren't doing exactly what others were doing while drawing influence. One More Light might be different for Linkin Park but I could name a whole bunch of artists that I could see One More Light coming from. Definitely fits in with the landscape of music today. That's not always a bad thing, though.

14. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

If you like the landscape, this is definitely good.

15. Blake

Even if you like the landscape it's not always a good thing in my opinion. Eventually every thing could start to sound the same and even if you enjoy that landscape you get tired of hearing it.

16. Dannyc

Dannyc Well-Known Member

They should just make Pop albums for the rest of their Career, and change the name of the band to Linkin Pop.

17. Virgocore

Virgocore Well-Known Member

Same here. I've been saying this for a while now. Minutes was a drastic change in sound, yes, but it still sounded like ''Linkin Park'' to me, I think Phoenix even said that on the DVD for the album. It had about 4 heavier style rock songs like Given Up, Bleed It Out, What I've Done and No More Sorrow and it also had a bunch of slower, experimental stuff, in ways similar to tracks like Easier To Run, Breaking The Habit, Numb, My December, etc. A Thousand Suns was really the drastic change for the band IMO.

But anyways, I find One More Light to be a lot different than the Linkin Park of old, much different than Minutes To Midnight. Minutes To Midnight did have some pop-rock stuff on it, but it was a lot different in sound compared to the pop stuff on One More Light. Compare a track like Leave Out All The Rest or What I've Done to the songs on One More Light for example. One More Light has a lot more in common with Living Things and A Thousand Suns if you want to compare.

18. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Sure, but I think it's safe to say that LP aren't going to stick to this sound for very long. I have no qualms with them making music that fits in with today's landscape of music because I know in three years we're going to get something completely different.

Why the kappas? I'd be down for it. :lol:

19. Blake

Honestly for once I wouldn't be surprised if the band stuck with this sound for the next album.

20. Dannyc

Dannyc Well-Known Member

They said they would never make the same album twice ever again, so the next album shouldnt be pop. And if they do make another pop album than they are truly
    effin hypocrites than they would deff be sellouts. And IMO that will be the death of this band. Its not like that would matter because they will always be remembered for HT when all is said and done

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.