Led Zeppelin and hidden messages?

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by ChooseYourPoison, Jun 1, 2005.

ChooseYourPoison

ChooseYourPoison nymphetamine

So, this occured when a friend of mine was telling me about how Zeppelin has a hidden message in their mega hit "Stairway To Heaven."

This prompted me to do some reasearch, and look at what I found...

Wtf?

Amanda

Amanda RIP Chester LPA Super VIP

Seen that before. XD It's so weird. I think it's just a coinsedince but, you know the media. :rolleyes:

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Get the vinyl and play the whole song backwards. The whole song is like that, not just a verse or the chorus.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

How about, people play shit backwards then think that "schraplethhh" is satan...

You can play anything backwards and find 'satanic messages'

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

It's the UFOs/Bigfoot/Ghost effect. If you're looking for something and expecting to find it, your brain will trick you into thinking you've seen it. There's no Satanic message in the song, people just hear it because they expect it to be there.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

This has been mentioned too many times before. It's weird, but it's too common.

Mechanical Christ

Mechanical Christ Ein heißer Schrei LPA Super Member

arT saveS

arT saveS Y2K

Think again.

Neil: Listening to a song backwards, doesn't necessarily mean rewind it, because then all you get is some way-to-fast-to-understand, garbled, squeakvoiced nonsense.

It's not a coincidence, it's real. It was on purpose. If you don't know anything about Robert Plant or Jimmy Page, then please don't even say anything about Led Zeppelin and hidden messages, because you don't know shit.

Evil Angel

Evil Angel Ambient

Linkin Park has hidden messages? :lol:
    It says so on wootang.com

Justin

Justin See you there

Aww. You beat me to that. That's an awesome site, and it's got a lot of interesting mp3 clips played both forwards and backwards. I think LinkinJunior had a thread like this 3 months ago.

Mechanical Christ

Mechanical Christ Ein heißer Schrei LPA Super Member

I take it the author of that website is not a big fan :lol:

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

In alot of these late 70's,80's hair metal songs you find alot of 'stanic messages' This one is very old though.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

You mean wootang.net.

And I cannot find anything about Linkin Park on it.

Astat

It's not a coincidence, it's real. It was on purpose. If you don't know anything about Robert Plant or Jimmy Page, then please don't even say anything about Led Zeppelin and hidden messages, because you don't know shit. [/b][/quote]
    Did Robert Plant/Jimmy Page tell you that they put it there on purpose? No. So shut up. I happen to take offense to what you said, considering I'm a huge Zep fan. I've listened to the "backmasking" in question, and it just sounds like garbled reversed singing that REMOTELY resembles what is said to be the "hidden message." How could Robert Plant have known that what he sang forwards would come out that way backwards? Stairway to Heaven was recorded like 35 years ago, they didn't exactly have computers where they could analyze the soundwaves and determine how to sing something forwards just right so it would come out backwards as a hidden message. Jimmy Page and Robert Plant may be very enigmatic, but if they wanted to put a hidden message in the song backwards, why would they make it garbled like that instead of just superimposing a forward-recorded message over the song backwards?

Bottom line: The "hidden message" in the song is just a naturally occuring, unintentional coincidence. If it had been done on purpose, they would have made it sound a lot better than that.

You=Pwned.

arT saveS

arT saveS Y2K

Did Robert Plant/Jimmy Page tell you that they put it there on purpose? No. So shut up. I happen to take offense to what you said, considering I'm a huge Zep fan. I've listened to the "backmasking" in question, and it just sounds like garbled reversed singing that REMOTELY resembles what is said to be the "hidden message." How could Robert Plant have known that what he sang forwards would come out that way backwards? Stairway to Heaven was recorded like 35 years ago, they didn't exactly have computers where they could analyze the soundwaves and determine how to sing something forwards just right so it would come out backwards as a hidden message. Jimmy Page and Robert Plant may be very enigmatic, but if they wanted to put a hidden message in the song backwards, why would they make it garbled like that instead of just superimposing a forward-recorded message over the song backwards?

Bottom line: The "hidden message" in the song is just a naturally occuring, unintentional coincidence. If it had been done on purpose, they would have made it sound a lot better than that.

You=Pwned. [/b][/quote]
    First of all, that last paragraph wasn't even to you, so why you are offended is way beyond me. It was to anyone. (That may include you, but the message was not directly to you. ;) ) The message that was to you? "Think again."? Oh, extremely offending. I'm sorry.

2nd? I've been a Led fan since I was 7, thanks. Maybe you don't know how to look things up, but Robert and Jimmy wrote what you hear when you play this song backwards. It's not just one part that has "secret/satanic message" in the song, the entire song, played backwards, has "satanic messages".

I don't know, let me go ask them,...me? owned? "Think again.". :rolleyes:

$pvcxGhxztCasey

I was going to say that Pink Floyd didn't have computers when they put the hidden message in Empty Spaces, but then I remembered it was recorded in 1979. :shifty:

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

Your reply lacks facts. You just keep saying how you know this, and that's that. You tell tasta he doesn't know how to 'look things up'. Where did you 'look this up'?

And I'm not stupid, I don't think rewinding a song is playing it backwards.

Another point - The 'satanic' messages make no sense. They are like.. random crap. Stuff about a toolshed...

arT saveS

arT saveS Y2K

Your reply lacks facts. You just keep saying how you know this, and that's that. You tell tasta he doesn't know how to 'look things up'. Where did you 'look this up'?

And I'm not stupid, I don't think rewinding a song is playing it backwards.

Another point - The 'satanic' messages make no sense. They are like.. random crap. Stuff about a toolshed...[/b][/quote]
    Ok, let me explain EXACTLY what I know, and what I don't know, I will clear everything up to the best of my ability.

What I have 'looked up' does not contain Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, or John Bonham saying anything about purposefully writing what is allegedly a 'satanic message.'

What I do know: 1.) Jimmy Page had a talent for somehow recording a guitar riff, and flipping it backwards to play in the background of certain songs. 2.) Jimmy Page was extremely interested in Aleister Crawley. (Note: Aleister Crawley practiced many satanic rituals inside a castle with his followers, this became known as, what else, 'the toolshed.') 3.) Maybe you won't consider this proof, but it works for me all the same. There are many parts in the song that would lead you to believe more in the reversed message actually being there, and on purpose: (not reversed) "two paths you can go by", "words having two thoughts", and "misgiven meanings." There are more if you'd like I will tell you those also, those are examples. The 'two paths' of course being the Stairway to Heaven or Hell.

I also know that at about 51 seconds into the song, reversed, there is another, very clear, message. "...listen...we've been there...", and at 3 minutes and 8 seconds it says "lord theres no escapin it".

So maybe I don't have direct proof from one of the guys that say this was on purpose, maybe they don't want to say it was on purpose, or maybe they've said it, but not how we would expect them to admit it. "Two meanings." Of course, then maybe it's just not real. I'm not calling tasta a liar, I'm not trying to offend him, you, or anyone else on these boards, I have no problems with anyone on these boards, I have been here much longer than many of the people on these boards and have never really had problems. Now that you know that, I have my own opinions/ideas/beliefs about this song, maybe I press at them too much, and if so I apoligize.

So now that that is said... onto 4.) No, it's not just random crap. Like I said earlier, if you don't know anything about Led Zeppelin, please don't say anything. If you had known that Jimmy Page was into Aleister Crawley who practiced his beliefs inside a castle named the toolshed, ...well than obviously you would know it's not just 'random crap.'

Astat

Ok, let me explain EXACTLY what I know, and what I don't know, I will clear everything up to the best of my ability.

What I have 'looked up' does not contain Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, or John Bonham saying anything about purposefully writing what is allegedly a 'satanic message.'

What I do know: 1.) Jimmy Page had a talent for somehow recording a guitar riff, and flipping it backwards to play in the background of certain songs. 2.) Jimmy Page was extremely interested in Aleister Crawley. (Note: Aleister Crawley practiced many satanic rituals inside a castle with his followers, this became known as, what else, 'the toolshed.') 3.) Maybe you won't consider this proof, but it works for me all the same. There are many parts in the song that would lead you to believe more in the reversed message actually being there, and on purpose: (not reversed) "two paths you can go by", "words having two thoughts", and "misgiven meanings." There are more if you'd like I will tell you those also, those are examples. The 'two paths' of course being the Stairway to Heaven or Hell.

I also know that at about 51 seconds into the song, reversed, there is another, very clear, message. "...listen...we've been there...", and at 3 minutes and 8 seconds it says "lord theres no escapin it".

So maybe I don't have direct proof from one of the guys that say this was on purpose, maybe they don't want to say it was on purpose, or maybe they've said it, but not how we would expect them to admit it. "Two meanings." Of course, then maybe it's just not real. I'm not calling tasta a liar, I'm not trying to offend him, you, or anyone else on these boards, I have no problems with anyone on these boards, I have been here much longer than many of the people on these boards and have never really had problems. Now that you know that, I have my own opinions/ideas/beliefs about this song, maybe I press at them too much, and if so I apoligize.

So now that that is said... onto 4.) No, it's not just random crap. Like I said earlier, if you don't know anything about Led Zeppelin, please don't say anything. If you had known that Jimmy Page was into Aleister Crawley who practiced his beliefs inside a castle named the toolshed, ...well than obviously you would know it's not just 'random crap.' [/b][/quote]
    I just took offense to it because I assumed that you quoting my post meant it was directed at me in particular, that's all.

I knew Page was into Crawley, didn't know his place was called "the toolshed" though, that's interesting. All I was really trying to say was like, Pink Floyd put a backwards message into Empty Spaces by flipping the tape of a forward-recorded voice backwards and playing it over the rest of the song forwards. It just seems like if Zep had wanted to do this with Stairway, they would have done it the same way.

Think about this, in order to make all those messages come out the way the song is recorded, Plant would have had to sing the song, flip the tape backwards, and then listen to make sure the messages came out clear enough, and then redo the vocals as necessary to make them clearer, which probably would have taken forever.

Granted, maybe I'm underestimating how smart Page and Plant were. Maybe they wrote the lyrics knowing that naturally occuring backmasking would happen with the words. Personally, I believe it's a coincidence, but I can't be certain. What I do know is that Stairway is one of the greatest songs ever, backwards or forwards. ^_^

Anyway, if anyone wants a funny example of 100% intentional backmasking, check out the song Backmask by Mindless Self Indulgence, and play it backwards. Do the same with Empty Spaces by Pink Floyd, those are both pretty funny. LP actually did it once too with P5hng Me A*wy on Reanimation, they looped Mike's rap backwards in a couple places.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

Don't forget Weird Al Yankovic.