Left 4 Dead

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Kæton, Jul 22, 2008.

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

I've been following this game since early 2007 and it's probably one of my most anticipated titles of this year next to Little Big Planet and Fallout 3. As a fan of video games, zombies and horror movies alike, I have a lot of built-up anticipation for this game.

Left 4 Dead is a first person shooter survival horror game in which you play one of four "survivors" who are forced to fight onslaughts of zombies (referred to as "infected") to get to safety. What probably impresses me the most about Left 4 Dead is the dynamic AI system. Named the "Director", instead of using fixed spawn points, the Director determines where to place enemies in a scenario depending on how well the team is progressing. This means the experience will be different each time the game is played. It's been reported that each scenario will take 45 minutes to a couple of hours to complete.

The game is built on Valve's Source engine, the same engine used in Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2, Portal, Counter-Strike, etc., so you know it's going to be a solid title. It sounds like Valve is looking at a November 4th, 2008 release date for North America and November 7th, 2008 for Europe.

If you're interested in seeing some footage from an E3 demo (sounds like 4 player co-op play), Kotaku has a few videos here. Watch the last clip when the guy doesn't close the door fast enough and the zombies come rushing in! :lol:

Is anyone else excited for Left 4 Dead? Anyone getting it for the 360? I think it'd be fun to play with folks from the LPA. :D

Tom

Tom LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

Yeah I've been following the game since early 2007 too, it looks like it's going to be one hell of a game. I'm a fan of movies like 28 Days Later etc so to play a game that is apocalyptic zombie horror made me go giddy on hearing it.

I'm not entirely sure on what the storyline is though, I've heard lots about games spawn points and character bio's etc.

I'll definitely be buying this on launch date, so I'm game if others on here will be getting it.

For anyone interested:
    [youtube]96KEbcHfH0c[/youtube]

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I'll hopefully be playing it on the 360 when it's released.

Misfit Jay

Misfit Jay I'm down with tippin 40s to your memory. LPA Super Member

I'm definitely getting this on the launch day. I've been following it since 2007 as well, and the video really sold me on it.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Yup, I'm excited about it. Know Michael Booth, the guy who's making it, from his Westwood days. Great guy.

Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

I'm getting it for PC

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Boo!

I kid.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

This game actually looks fantastic and I'm not even a gamer really.
    But if i can find a way to get a new pc and play it on linux, and find a way to "buy" it also. Then I'm in.
    There's a 99% chance I won't be able to though.

Kæton

Woo, more people excited for Left 4 Dead than I thought. :lol:

I'm hoping Turtle Rock or someone will shed more light on the campaign soon. I think I heard during the G4 demo that each scenario is linked so you'll go from like, the hospital to the forest, but I don't think it was specified whether or not there's a story intertwined. Personally, it won't really matter. Even if it turns out there is no story, I'll enjoy the nostalgia of going level to level shooting waves of enemies with friends like I used to at the arcade. :D

Tom

Yeah I was hoping for some sort of comment from them too, I'm not too concerned if there is a story or not, but I think it would boost the ratings slightly for the game if it were to do so. Regardless, I'm still looking forward to blasting my way through zombies with you guys. ;D

And Keaton..which arcade did you go to?! When I used to go to the arcade down on the seafront there was nothing like that there! :lol:

Kæton

I think Left 4 Dead reminds me a lot of House of the Dead... if it were on crack. :lol:

edit: Better yet, even CarnEvil perhaps. That game was like House of the Dead but crazier.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Just an FYI, but I believe they're called Valve South now since Valve bought them. :)

Tom

:lol:!

I've just realized, that you live in Hawaii, so there's a 10 hour gap between us lol

Kæton

Ah, noted. Thank you. :D

Yeah, truly an annoying thing living in Hawaii is the time differences. It really sucks when you want to play with friends in the mainland but can't because... they're already asleep. :lol:

Tom

Well I don't sleep much anyway so I'll probably still be awake when you are so we can game then, we just need at least 2 more dedicated left 4 dead people so we can make a 4, otherwise were dead lol.