Linkin Park - Heavy feat. Kiiara Lyric Video

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Feb 16, 2017.

1. ciao_fiv

ciao_fiv We Are Still Humanz

I really hate when people like you say shit like "just admit it's awful." That's not how opinions work.

2. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Agreed.

Still, I feel like Kiiara just makes the track. Yeah, people wouldn't be calling the track pop shit this much if it was just LP, but, it'd be significantly more boring.

Iopia likes this.
  3. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

4. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Seriously. I fucking love this. Beautiful and chill. Just what was needed.

Halfway Dwight, Sasuke and HybridT like this.
  5. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I agree with this as well.

Iopia and Deliveranze like this.
  6. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

I really love the dynamic between Chester and Kiiara. It's just well executed to me. The hook has that LP sound but without the "yeah I've heard this before" type feel of, let's say, Burn It Down's chorus.

7. Reanimate02

Reanimate02 Well-Known Member

LP were in a position to do something creative and open minded, and they give us this. Tough shit guys, wait another 2-4 years for the next album and we might do what 99% of the fanbase wants us to do..

I don't care about screams, metal guitars.. any of that shit. Don't put me into that nu-metal box.. i'm just worried Linkin Park are wasting their most fruitful creative years on rigid pop - when they have three great instrumentalists in the band.

I remember back to when Joe was more present on the first two albums, he added quirkiness and charisma with his scratching and samples.. something the last two albums severely lacked. I thought he'd be more involved again when they released Blackout, Wretches & Kings.. but nope he disappeared again. I thought Rob would have been more of a creative force due to The Hunting Party.. but nope they're going back to electronic stuff again. There goes any chance of Rob's drums being integral to the songs (like on Little Things Give You Away, Guilty All The Same, No More Sorrow)

What's edgy about making pop? Oh because it's "unexpected"? Yeah we never expected the band to regress back to that Recharged bullshit..

I really thought things were back on track with The Hunting Party, but LP for some reason needs to pull a complete 180 again.

Who cares honestly? LP are getting way too wrapped up in album concepts and getting away from making individual tracks.. I mean listen to Heavy, it's so focused on being pop and different to The Hunting Party.. but it's all to do with sound and production. Nothing impressive about the songwriting. Hands down the weakest lead single they've ever put out. I don't think LP is on the same page as the fanbase anymore.

Dayz and Iopia like this.
  8. Narc85

Narc85 Well-Known Member

That's too funny. I was whistling Heavy last night and my sister started to whistle it too. I was thinking how the hell does she know this song already (it hadn't premiered yet)... then continued and it ended up being See You Again haha

I don't think that accurately reflects the thought process that went into the production of this song or album at all sorry.

9. Sonic

You said not to put you in that numetal box, but it sounds like that's all you want.

For the record, Heavy doesn't sound like anything that was on Recharged.

Also, you said you don't think they're on the same page with the fans anymore. Why do most fans feel like the band should make what the fans want? When did we feel like we were entitled to tell them what time do? They're artists. They make what they want and don't have to listen to anyone, and they don't.

Halfway Dwight, Avo and Alexrednex like this.
  10. ashish

ashish Active Member

This data shows that larger the dislikes they get
    Larger the chances of song doing well on charts.!
    Its the old fans who contributes to number of dislikes while with every new album they gain more fans

BID,WFTE clearly shows that.

11. Reanimate02

Reanimate02 Well-Known Member

Not really dude. I just want to hear the band members playing their respective instruments and being creative (like most of the fanbase)

I don't want to hear this pop stuff Mike and Brad made in a computer, with the other guys are playing over it like session musicians.. that's just sad to see from a rock band.

Dayz and Iopia like this.
  12. Sonic

But they're not a rock band.

I appreciate though you debating civilly. I'm not trying to make you like the song, but at least you're not like "This is shit." and that be the end of it.

I like the song, but it may get boring fast. It's not my favorite but I like it a lot more than let's say, Numb. I agree with it being the weakest lead single, though.

13. joshtrum

joshtrum Active Member

I think the issue for me with this song, is the build. I listened to this song 10-11 times now. I feel at the part where Rob comes in, if they did a build and heavy instrumental two things would happen 1) length, so no bitching on length and 2) we'd have a linkin park song that still felt entirely different but gave us a ground to stand on. I like the song, but let's be honest here, mike did shit on bands for doing this type of music, and a couple years later is doing it. I don't mind a chilled out album after THP and maybe OML will play foil in terms of balancing out the discography. There's not an album this band produces that I hate or dislike, same with music. I just think where my issue(and others) is, is that this song is missing some elements. Kid Cudi released surfin' as a single and then had a 6:00min rendition on his album with a breakdown in the end, maybe this song also has more to it that will appear when the album releases. Lastly, 10 songs on a three year cycle? Man, these better be great..

14. Blake

[​IMG]

Singer of metalcore band I Prevail. I'm glad he's sticking up for Linkin Park. He's actually a huge Linkin Park fan and I think he might site them as musical influences.

When I saw I Prevail live, they played a cover of One Step Closer which was really cool!

Abel, ciao_fiv, Iopia and 3 others like this.
  15. Narc85

Narc85 Well-Known Member

I've always considered the online naysayers to be a vocal minority, and we should continue to view them as such. It just happens to mean that for a band like Linkin Park... that minority is still in the tens of thousands.

I'd like to point out that based on current likes/dislikes on YouTube (not that this should be any measure of success), the lyric video currently has an 81.71% approval rating. That's certainly not something to be ashamed of. Especially for a song that was bound to be as polarizing as this one. In fact, I daresay this is a fantastic result.

When you take into consideration the fact that the song is flying up the iTunes charts in many countries, is trending on all kinds of lists AND still has just as much praise being directed towards it as it has negative comments... I'd say it's been a pretty successful launch so far :)

Abel, Deliveranze and Alexrednex like this.
  16. Non-Pattern

Non-Pattern You’re about as sharp as a bowling ball

I decided to create an account after lots of lurking in this site for quite some time, so hey everybody!

This is definitely the most controversial single that they have ever put out, even more so than ATS as a whole.

My thoughts on 'Heavy' is this:
    + Good chorus
    + Catchy and chill melodies
    + Rob's prominent drumming
    + Mixing is good(esp compared to their 'pop'-oriented album LT)
    + Kiiara's vocals are good(and better than Chester's as much I hate to say it)

- Chester's vocals sounds weird and forced almost throughout the song
    - Doesn't sound experimentive and new for both 'pop' genre and LP's standards

It's not a bad song, but it ain't groundbreaking either to me. I can understand the criticisms that this single is receiving, after all the fact it's receiving the most dislike ratio compared to previous singles is saying something. Especially when coming from fans who don't mind and embraced change in LP's music since MTM, including me. I'll still be waiting for the album regardless, and hope for the best.

P.S: While controversy on LP's music doesn't really faze me, I hope BOTH sides can agree to disagree in a civil and respectful manner of the opinions on this song, esp on this thread.

Abel, Dayz, Blake and 1 other person like this.
  17. Blake

Welcome to the site :)

Hope you enjoy your time here! I agree with you about the song. I love the song personally but I feel that Chester is the weakest part of the song, even if I still like his singing in it. Kiiara definitely shines way more though! I'm interested in how the album will sound.

JSigcha10 likes this.
  18. Non-Pattern

Non-Pattern You’re about as sharp as a bowling ball

I'm having mixed feelings honestly haha. There's both good and bad aspects for this song. But still I'll wait for the album and see how it fits as a whole.

Btw, I prefer the acoustic version than the official one. I mean, it does fit the overall sound that Mike always reinstates, especially when there's already a piano-acoustic song in it, and represents the album title. Another interesting thought is that if the band released the acoustic version as the OFFICIAL one instead of the studio one, I'm betting there'll be less criticism and negativity.

19. Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Calling the jump from The Catalyst to Burn It Down (to GATS) a (implicit "natural") progression of sound is a clear example of revising history to fit your own subjective narrative. You don't like Heavy or the direction LP is going, fine. Don't blame history or the band for that. You just had different expectations and hopes than what the band delivered.

Also, the lead singles hardly represent their albums to the degree that you say.
    GATS was a long progressive and jarring heavy headbanger, yet half of THP was fairly safe radio rock with occasional rap verses (AFN, FM, Wastelands, UIG).
    What I've Done was a fairly generic radio pop rock song, while MTM as an album was all over the place.
    Burn It Down proved to only represent half of the LT, which was also a fairly disjointed album.

The most logical conclusion to make is that LP post-numetal chronologically shifts between the accessible and inaccessible (especially based on first singles, and to a lesser extend the rest of the albums).

WID - A
    TC - IA
    BID - A
    GATS - IA
    Heavy - A

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Abel, Dayz, Iopia and 2 others like this.
  20. Bane

Bane Together we'll fight the long defeat

I like Heavy. I really do. But here is what's missing for me.

What I've Done was laid-back, but it packed a punch. The Catalyst was softer than the usual stuff, but it took us on an intense journey. Burn It Down had a lot of power and energy in its sound. GATS was explosive and got me moving.

Heavy does what no LP lead single has done before it: it lacks intensity and power. I understand that that is very likely intentional and meant to challenge the fans to embrace the new style. I find myself enjoying the song, but I just can't go nuts about it.

Here's hoping OML contains at least one energetic song.

Dayz, Jake and AThousandLivingThings like this.