Linkin Park songs sound to much the same

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Mcnasty, May 3, 2004.

Mcnasty

Mcnasty Y2K

Hey guys my friend just sent me a song that this guy made. He got two different LP songs and just played them over each other. The songs have the exact same format and sound the same. One person told me that one of the songs is slowed down and it kind of is but I think the guy who made it did that on purpose so you can really see how much they sound like another. I dont have a link for this but if you really want to hear it just PM me and I will give you my email so I can send you the file over MSN.

Blaze

Blaze Ambient

just cause two songs match up when one is edited does not mean that they sound to much the same :mellow: i heard one of those things for some nickelback songs its pretty much people with a mixing program and a little bit to much time on their hands :lol:

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Look at In The End and Numb's guitar progressions. "dun.....DUN.....dun.....dun.....dun......"

Another example is "Numb" and "Pushing Me Away". [verse] [pre-chorus] [chorus] [verse] [pre-chorus] [chorus] [bridge] [chorus] [chorus]. Hell the songs are awesome, but the structure is identical. Damn Don Gilmore/Andy Wallace.

Not all songs sound the same though. Look at "Faint". Great guitar riff.

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

This has been discussed so many times, i think that although some of the songs follow the same structure they are still great tracks.

Damn them to hell... :mad:

Mcnasty

Mcnasty Y2K

LOL those are the two songs he over lapped, Numb and Pushing Me Away. I would just like to add please people dont freak out on me, I love all the Linkin Park songs and think there amazing ever since I first heard them.

Linkin Park's music generally went downhill after Meteora. That's why I hope they get their act together and produce something next to amazing for their third album.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

The record label obviously wanted to capitalize off of the success of Hybrid Theory with Meteora. It is so apparent that you would have to be deaf not to hear it. Literally. At least half of Meteora sounds like another song on Hybrid Theory. The structures of almost all of the songs are the same, too. And Brad uses way too many powerchords instead of actual riffs that sound good. There were, like, one or two songs on Hybrid Theory that sounded the same to me; but almost all of Meteora sounds the same. Linkin Park either need to ditch Don Gilmore or ditch their record company because I would hate to see them lose everything they have gotten just because all of their songs are starting to sound the same. I am damn sure that Linkin Park would be snatched up by another label like Epic (Sony) or even Roadrunner (although that is doubtful) really fast.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

DITTO!

But LP kind of always has been like that...this is the one thing I hope they would change....

Its not really cool if you can PREDICT which part is coming up if you've never even heard it. Thats what happened to me with Meteora :unsure:

enfestid

enfestid Guest

While some songs do sound the same, to say that they all sound the same would be completely wrong.

Anyways, it's not as bad as Nickelback (even though I like Nickelback a little bit)... Go play "Someday" and "Slow Motion" at the same time. I did it the first time I heard both songs because they sounded so similar... it's scary.

Methybrea

Can you explain a little more? :D I would be interested to hear your reasoning!

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Can you explain a little more? :D I would be interested to hear your reasoning! [/b][/quote]
    I know what he means. To say something like "'Papercut' sounds like 'Breaking The Habit'" would be completely asinine.

enfestid

enfestid Guest

I know what he means. To say something like "'Papercut' sounds like 'Breaking The Habit'" would be completely asinine. [/b][/quote]
    Exactly.

While some have similar patterns or guitar riffs, to say that all songs sound similar would be pretty stupid.

I mean, "Nobody's Listening" is the "rap" track off of Meteora and it sounds nothing like any other song LP's done (in my opinion... perhaps someone can prove me wrong), including their other "rap" tracks.

"Breaking The Habit" also has a more unique sound to it.

I think every band has some songs that sound similar. It's not necissarily a bad thing, they just need to progress a bit more (or stop trying to get some quick cash ;)).

Methybrea

I see your point, but of course they don't play the same tempo and mood and stuff, but the structure and instruments and sounds are basically the same.....disregarding a few exceptions like Breaking the Habit and Mr. Hahns work!

enfestid

enfestid Guest

Well of course they're not at the same tempo, but some of the riffs and drum beats are completely different. I mean, "Don't Stay" is probably considered the 'heavy' track off of Meteora, while "One Step Closer" (or possibly "Forgotten"?) would be the 'heavy' song off of "Hybrid Theory". Their structures are completely different, however.

Some of the riffs are really similar, though, as has been pointed out. For example, "From The Inside" has a very general riff, similar to "One Step Closer" or "Forgotten".

I'm hoping they'll be a bit more ecclectic on the next CD. Not Trapt ecclectic, but more of a mix between Hybrid Theory and Meteora. Some of the guitar effects used in Meteora and some of the riffs used in Hybrid Theory would be good, I think... Perhaps even taking a step back from the Pro Tools (minus the turn table effects, obviously) may be a good thing, too.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Some singers sing better over songs that are in a certain key, and it's a common fact. That's why some songs sound the same because they write a song in the same key as an older song because they know they sound they best when they sing in that pitch.

It's why all artists have at least two songs that would sound great when overlapped over eachother.

enfestid

enfestid Guest

While I do agree with that, you must listen to "Someday" and "Slow Motion" (by Nicelback) at the same time... you'll be surprised :)

SketchaMPM

SketchaMPM Well-Known Member

You say LP's music started going downhill AFTER Meteora.

Am I the only one that doesn't think that makes sense?

Or have I just not heard the new Linkin Park songs that don't exsist.
    Or maybe I haven't picked up the third album that hasn't come out yet.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

You say LP's music started going downhill AFTER Meteora.

Am I the only one that doesn't think that makes sense?

Or have I just not heard the new Linkin Park songs that don't exsist.
    Or maybe I haven't picked up the third album that hasn't come out yet. [/b][/quote]
    What she meant was that upon hearing 'Meteora', his view of their music changed after he heard it. Don't try to be smart about it.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

What she meant was that upon hearing 'Meteora', his view of their music changed after he heard it. Don't try to be smart about it. [/b][/quote]
    They changed from a female to male?

I agree though. Production-wise it blows out most of the old material. But fancy Pro Tools rigs don't make a genuinely good song. They need to dig up some of that old Xero and Hybrid Theory craftmanship. In HT you could listen to a demo and say "They had that cool riff or lyric from the start." or even "I liked the old lyrics better." and you could have either one. But Meteora makes me wonder about what they cut out.

But there's always a third CD and the fourth, etc.

I wonder how many CDs are in their contract with their label. :wth:

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Please do not point out the spelling mistakes of mods after they just get finished warning another member not to be antagonizing. Such posts can be considering antagonizing as well and will probably result in you getting a warning for egging-on the staff.

So please keep posts like that to yourself if you do not wish to be warned for being antagonizing.