Linkin Park Taps "Given Up"

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Given Up is a good, energetic song (musically) with extremely cheesy lyrics,
    imo. I think a live video would fit the song well.

Arlene

Arlene Oh what tangled webs we weave LPA Super Member

I personally love Given Up. I love the energy, and it just appeals to me. I'm not usually into the crazy screaming songs, but I think Given Up is a great song, and I think it will do well, for a few months at least. And I do feel that it will appeal to a large crowd of people, and it may boost sales. I know a lot of people who said they wouldn't buy MTM when it first came out because they heard that Linkin Park "got soft," and if they hear Given Up on the radio, hey, ya never know. So, I say, nice choice.

water_gray

water_gray through the windows...up the stairs LPA VIP

IMO - The thing with singles is that its not always going to be the 'best' song on the album or the song with the strongest and most meaningful lyrics. Singles are all about getting the music onto the radio and out to the general public to encourage people to purchase the album and in turn increase sales.

Warner will be looking for the most catchy songs which will get stuck in peoples heads and can appeal to most audiences. Given Up I believe is one of those songs...

Just thinking of songs on the radio at the moment, Simple Plan's 'When Im Gone' is played every 5 minutes! Its an absolute shit song in my opinion yet I can sit here and sing most words of the chorus because its a catchy song. And I bet if you listen to their album, its no where near one of their best songs? (god help them if it is!)

Warner have been at this game for a long time and although you may not agree with everything they do, they know the market and what the market wants. After all, them choosing a bad single is only to their detriment.

Lets just wait and see how it turns out...to be honest I wouldn't really want all of my favorite songs off the album being played on the radio all day. I have found that with all the albums I own, my favorite songs always end up being the ones that weren't singles!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
    INK12Many

INK12Many Well-Known Member

I love Given Up. but it is true they are kinda old to play that to teenagers, or have it as a single.
    i mean the video would be great if they only show the fans and how the concerts go when they play the song with little vision of the band, i think that would look better. but oh well. who cares.

ditto for me too:p

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

People on this site can be real assholes sometimes I swear. Lets all just attack each other for no reason. YAY!

As for Given Up being a single, I honestly think its a terrible choice. It will have to be edited like mad and it seems too heavy for radio, personally

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

word! :D

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

I used to think Given Up has horrible lyrics.
    But I can see that it's actually related to a trying to break a drug addiction (I'm currently going through that with a form of painkiller addiction, and believe me, it's very fitting.)

Musically though, it's not a good choice.
    In Pieces, or No More Sorrow would've been best.

steve12

steve12 Well-Known Member

Well a guy before stated proof it's going to be a single cause the band themselves said it, but of course like you said the band don't pick the singles so they are obviously lying about that. But it's just so obvious now that it's the next single I just seem to be the only one seeing it. I would bet my house on it that it's the next single, I have no proof but it's a common thing that some bands release their first whatever number of songs on the album, and this is what LP/Warner Brothers is doing.

Smarky

Smarky Well-Known Member

I was at the London 02 show on the 29th of Jan and I was asked to sign a legal document allowing the use of myself in the video (i was right at the front)

We were told to sing as loud as possible but to look away from the camera.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Why would you be annoyed by it though? It's not like he's said ''Hey Astat, here's something to annoy you...". He just believes that LOATR will be a future single. What's wrong with that? The band said it'd be a future single and he's based that information on what he said.

Okay, it's not exactly the wisest thing to do to firmly believe what you hear from spoken word however you wouldn't just go and think the band must be lying because they don't choose their singles.

I think you owe him an apology for being rude and I also think you need cool off a little bit. If what you deem as 'bad information' pisses you off that much then maybe you need to tone down the level of seriousness you take in the band because getting wound up over something such as this is, quite honestly, stupid.

And that's coming from me. Someone who is quite easily wound up. ;)

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I've just had to try to explain enough dumb stuff lately, both here and elsewhere (the whole cbennington.com fiasco before the site was confirmed, some guy on LPU who kept spamming begging for LP to come to Latin America, people on LP.com who still think Giving In by Adema is an LP song and that the full-length Grecian can be found on the MTM DVD... o_O), so yeah, sorry if I come across as a bit rude in my responses from time to time. :lol:

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

I agree, it should've been NMS. With the US election ahead of us, a politically charged song like this could have been a hit.

themudd

themudd Member

Do you really think they are going to release 7 Singles? :D g_G

vampirekittenLP

vampirekittenLP Well-Known Member

lol i wondered when someone would mention it here.
    woooooooo given up!! =)

misery

misery Well-Known Member

Wow, people like you are the reason I rarely visit this place.

As for the single so I'm not off-topic.. I would have preferred No More Sorrow.

In Pieces will never be a single though.. I doubt it's catchy enough.

I'm willing to bet Leave Out All The Rest will be next.

Xenogenesis

Xenogenesis Well-Known Member

In my opinion most of the singles off of Hybrid Theory and Meteora were suitable singles, if not made to be a single and were some of the best songs off the two albums. There were a few songs that I wanted to be singles. I wanted singles such as "With You" and "Pushing Me Away" but the singles list from the previous albums were more than enough suitable.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

they weren't lying, they had it in mind that "leave out all the rest" would be suitable as a single. hell, you can see why when you listen to it. :)

Jammist

Jammist Well-Known Member

Given up as a single huh? Man thats gonna be a lot of censored lyrics on the radio! lol

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

i hate that :/ oh well what will be will be!

NFiNiTi316

NFiNiTi316 New Member

Ok, after reading all the comments on this song and new video,, I had to make an account just so I can comment for my own. Given up reminds me of one of their best songs.. that they never made a video of.. which is A Place for my Head.. So I'm happy as hell with this new video.. Plus.. for those that say this is a teenager song.. I'm 28 and I love this song.. It has the orignal LP feel to it.. and its a stress releaving song.. So stop hating and start congratulating!!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.