LPA Monthly Mix-Up July 2016: "Runaway" Free-For-All

Discussion in 'News' started by minuteforce, Jun 28, 2016.

Stich

Stich New Member

Hi.
    I'm new to the site , and it's also a first time that I try a renix.
    What software did you suggest me for my Windows 10's PC?

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I don't know what's best for newbies, honestly. You just have to try one and see if it clicks with you; if it doesn't, you move onto another one.

People in our community typically use either FL Studio Producer Edition or Ableton Live Suite, so you could choose one of those to start off with just because it'd be easier to ask us for help that way, but, really, you can find information and tutorials online for any program that you pick.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Like minuteforce said, most popular on Windows are probably FL Studio and Ableton Live (for beginners). The industry standard is Pro Tools if you want to get serious about a career in music and audio. You don't have to learn it but it'll help a lot since engineers and studios look for people who know Pro Tools. Otherwise, I'd go with either Live or FL Studio. There's also Cubase but I heard from a friend that there's more of a learning curve to it.

If you don't have a midi controller, you can get one for around 50 bucks used on eBay probably. Doesn't have to be a super nice one - just something that can play notes and control midi (...). Also wouldn't hurt to get some kind of usb device that controls like a consoler mixer.

Hope this helps somehow.

Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

Not sure saying Ableton Live is for beginners is fair. FL maybe. If you're not recording live instruments and just using VST's id pick ableton over Pro Tools any day.

minuteforce

I personally think it depends on you and what clicks with you. I'm terrible with "beginner" programs, myself - I'm basically only comfortable with Live, so that's where I'm coming from.

Feenix likes this.
    Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

Some of the most famous producers in the world use Ableton. I think ur selling yourself short.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I don't think anyone is saying that Live is beginner's software. What I meant was that most people new to making music will buy FL Studio or Live despite the learning curve. My first post probably didn't make much sense (my fault). A lot of the top producers use Live, FL Studio and Logic but will end up dumping their music into Pro Tools anyway, for the sake of other people handling the music later.

Low budget software like Garageband is great for learning - it's beginner's software and the design makes it simple for people to understand as long as they know basic music theory (and some knowledge of programming). But it's very limiting which is why a lot of people avoid stuff blatantly targeted towards beginners. I don't know if there's a right program to really start fresh with - just have to try things out really.

Delicious Dave

FL is really simple and good for practice too. You can learn to make a simple beat and melody in like 10 minutes and once you've played around with that you'll learn more on top of it. I've been using FL for 4 years and learn more every time I use it.

-Amarez-

-Amarez- Active Member

I wanna do this! Not gonna say what I have for it yet.. the sound will speak for itself when I post it. This one is a fun one.

minuteforce

Haha - what I meant was that, yes, Live is considered advanced but, to me, it's just the one that works best with me or vice-versa. I've tried to use so-called easier programs (like StageLight) and I couldn't get a handle on them at all. It's not about what's easy or hard, it's about finding a DAW that suits your workflow and style. Obviously, when you begin, you gotta mess around and find out which one that is.

Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

Ahh okay I misunderstood you.

Totally agree it's about finding something that suits you. I love Ableton because it's intuitive and makes sense. StageLight seems like a nice idea for beginners but personally it just crashes almost every time I try to start it. The once or twice i've managed to get it going it crashes as soon as I load a VST.

minuteforce

Just a reminder: 10 or 11 days left :)

Delicious Dave

I really shouldn't have finished mine so early, oh well.

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    Delicious Dave

I like it a lot. Your strings always sound like you got an actual orchestra to show up and play for you. I wish I could pull that off. It sounds really nice.

I think not including the vocals was for the best :lol: The song isn't liked enough which is why there's so few entries so far.

Elaine likes this.
    Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

You gotta mess with attack and release. Throw in a smattering of delay and rvb. Use good samples. Play with chords and layer a few different strings on top of one another (not always playing the same notes or even in the same octaves) instead of sticking to just the one. Find the best frequencies for the strings and amplify them with some good EQ (but not too much, that can lead to a harsher sound). Use more than one type of string section, too, my favorite to play with is Cello. Also, use cool chords. Level things in a balanced way! This has been Elaine's Rambling Tips.

(How do you know I didn't get a live orchestra to play for me? :kappa:)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    -Amarez-

-Amarez- Active Member

Almost done. Talk about last minute..

Last minute because the work put into this is more than necessary... but it's what my heart wants. I just wanna say.. I'm super excited. ... like more than ever. Just doing the final touches to it.

-Amarez-

-Amarez- Active Member

I like your critique. People like you are rare to find in the real world. You only find them on the interweb.