LPU 17 Has Now Launched

Discussion in 'News' started by Hybrid, Nov 21, 2017.

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

I don't think I've seen a single person complaining about or 'acting entitled' over the lack of demos. Not trying to be a dick but sometimes it feels like people are actively trying to find things to get offended over, which is quite worrying.

:chuck:

Blake likes this.
    Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Saying "It would have been cool to do this thing for us" Is placing expectations on a band that is going through a lot of grief right now to the point where, like Derek said, their own music is hard for them to listen to. Especially when their future as a band is cast in shadow.

Believe it or not, yes-- that statement alone is entitled, given the situation. You don't need to say anything more to earn a stink-eye from me. I'm not "Trying to get offended" over anything, you guys are just being dicks by being even mildly upset or disappointed that you weren't given something the band was in no way obligated to give, and having that be the focus of your interactions regarding LPU 17. You want grieving band members to go through their catalogue and dig up painful memories listening to everything again to present new material for you. A move which, by the way, outside of the fanbase, would be seen as capitalizing on Chester's death. (I personally would call anyone who saw it that way out on their bullshit, but that doesn't mean that a lot of people won't see it that way and give the band more headaches to deal with in addition to everything else that's going on.)

I don't want to put the band through anything that would make their grieving process tougher. It is their call. And sure. It sucks that Chester's gone, and that resulted in things not going the way they normally would. But that's par for the course.

You can feel disappointed in that, but to express it places an undue burden on the band to deliver, whether you'd want it to or not. The band wants to do things for you, they just can't right now. And I think, expressing disappointment over this stuff, feels a bit callous. Because they'll be reading all of this (In a general sense, not specifically), and might (not a mind reader) feel disappointed in themselves in turn. And that's not a feeling that I want to impart. Instead I think we should make empathy be our main focus because right now, the specifics over what we're disappointed in don't matter.

I don't want the band to think that I think they owe me anything. I don't. And the onus is on us to help them along with whatever decision they decide to take, because I can not imagine how crushing it must feel to be a member of Linkin Park right now. But I do know what it's like to be a fan. The band has given us so much in the past, and what we can really give them right now is the act of making displays of patience and understanding our dominant focus. We can be disappointed that there aren't any demos. Quietly. And in the background.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Feenix likes this.
    AmbienTisCool

AmbienTisCool Curry

Ur just misinterpreting what I said. I respect the band decision and am completly fine with not getting the demos . I’m not entitled, I simply said would have been cool to get demos cuz everyone always looks forward to them. No one is criticizing LP for not giving us some demos.

Iopia and minuteforce like this.
    Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

So did we all forget that we didn't get all of LPU 15's music in one giant heap and that it was spread out over the course of the year? I mean, who's to say that this won't be the case with LPU 17? We may get stuff, we may not. Either way, your support of the band should be the main driver for joining their fanclub, not whatever unreleased demos that they feel like releasing that year.

Anyways, Elaine, stop trying to take offense to or make what HybridXero said offensive.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

This. A thousand times this.

Hybrid likes this.
    Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

I need to renew my membership. Next month will be my tenth anniversary!

Modern Guitar God likes this.
    Elaine

You can assert that all you want. Doesn't make it true.

AmbienTisCool

AmbienTisCool Curry

ight bro, whatever u say

Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

My bad, it will be my 11th anniversary. Lol

Elaine

The point I was making there is that you have not demonstrated a lack of understanding on my part of your post. Re-stating what you already said doesn't change that. You have to actually point out where what I said doesn't apply, because my point is that our primary goal should be displays of patience and understanding, and that nothing else should come first. When people here post "It would have been cool for there to be demos", they're putting being disappointed over not having any demos before anything else, as if it's the main point. I don't think that's cool. That's what I mean by implying that people are putting the focus of their posts in the wrong place.

Also I'm not a bro, bro.

AmbienTisCool

AmbienTisCool Curry

u can't expect every single person to be patient and not expect anything out of LP. most people I think here would rather have a cd instead of clothes and fidget spinners. if lp chooses to not release demos, most people here also will not care and will be understanding because of Chesters death. also just cuz Chester died doesn't mean we can't criticize them or say something about their stuff cuz we are their fans. I get that we should be considerate but me saying "would be cool to get demos" is just my opinion. u can act however u want.

Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

Which is why people are saying they're disappointed here on LPA and not directly to the bands faces. Same reason why it's fine to discuss why you didn't like OML here, but it's not cool to go up to the band and call their album crap to their faces (for the record I loved OML though).

This is a discussion board and I don't think it's appropriate to go around telling people they can't express their opinions just because it might put an 'undue burden' on the band. Everyone here is understanding of the situation, no one's acting like they're owed anything. You can still be disappointed while respecting the situation the band is in and agreeing that their choice was the best one. It's not a binary, "one or the other" sort of situation.

And I just think it's extremely immature to call people 'entitled', or 'dicks', or insinuate that they're 'trying to make the band dig up painful memories' just because they're, as you said, 'mildly disapointed'. You seem to be lacking the nuance that someone can be excited for the something that could potentially happen, be disappointed when that thing doesn't happen (and express that disappointment), but then understand why it didn't happen and stop expecting it. That's the opposite of entitlement. To use a non-music related example, my friend was disapointed when Arsenal didn't win the Premier League in 2016, and he openly expressed that disapointment, but in no way did he ever feel like his team was "entitled" to the victory. In the LPU17 case, many people were excited for the possibility of getting something music related (even if it was something like a studio version of LFAA instead of demos), were mildly disappointed when it didn't happen, but completely understand why it didn't happen and don't feel any sense of "entitlement" as if they were owed something. And certainly no one's asking the band to go through their catalogue and 'dig up painful memories' if they aren't ready for that. As Hybrid said, it seems like you're trying to make what people are saying more offensive than what they actually said.

Deliveranze, brady, Nicholas and 2 others like this.
    Derek

Alright. Stop. (Collaborate and listen)

But seriously, final warning to everyone. Let's stop this BS.

AmbienTisCool

AmbienTisCool Curry

? Wat bs

Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

Elaine, seriously, you're taking this discussion so far.

Anyway, completely understandable that there aren't any demo's. Would love to hear some demo's of Chester's in the future though. I'll take anything I can get.

Blake and Modern Guitar God like this.
    Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Bruh..

Captain-EO, Hybrid, Lotus and 2 others like this.
    Derek

That's about the way I feel on this thread in a nutshell. :facepalm:

Lotus and Modern Guitar God like this.
    Paradigm

Paradigm Member

Chester passed away. Yes. It happened recently. Yes. But after performing without him for the first time in well over 15 years i'm not sold on the idea that the band isn't ready to sort through demos. In fact sorting through demos is probably a chore in it's own, and with each LPU it gets harder and harder to dig up old content.

Regardless of the "zomg grecian, pictureboard, and that cool demo from the Meteora behind the scenes" endless requests that are never fulfilled, I truely believe the band just doesn't have anything amazing in terms of demos to offer us. Having received music right off the bat this year I could tell you we'd all be complaining if we got a handful of 1 minute instrumentals and a demo of a Hybrid Theory song that we heard already (but in much better quality).

The band doesn't owe us anything. We are just accustomed to getting material every single year, and I think they just got accustomed to it too. They believed they owed us demos, and i'm kind of glad they didn't force themselves to churn out 10 random tracks for us to complain about.

Sorry if the opening of the post sounds a little rude but, it can't just be Chester. Maybe the band just doesn't need to robotically churn out content every second they can. We just got their last ever album with Chester this year and something that they were super proud of. We are getting a live memorial package this month. We don't need to hate this band because they can't...

Let me stop. This topic is old. I'm sorry guys.

Elaine

For the record. Yes. I still have many issues. And I think people are missing the fucking point. But I'm done. Y'all do whatever the hell it is you want to do. I give up. I'm sorry I ever gave a shit. Clearly it was a mistake.

TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

This is the most ridiculous part of this thread. He/she shouldn't have been disappointed, it was never gonna happen :lol:

Iopia likes this.