Lupe Fiasco's The Cool

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Chris., Nov 25, 2007.

monkey030306

monkey030306 Well-Known Member

anyone think the album is worth getting? i got the songs but not the album.... how is th special features?? thanks

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

If you like the CD, buy it. The only special feature comes from best buy in the form of a DVD but if you enjoy the music you need to support the artist and purchase the album.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Who's Chilly?

Chris.

El Muerto

6 kilos, man that's a lot..

Chris.

Yeah it is. The thing that bothers me is that Michael Vick admits to killing dogs (even hanging one) and he gets 2 years. This guy had a shit load of heroine and is sentenced to 44 years (basically life).

There are people doing much worse than having drugs that are getting off easier than that. It's not really justified, despite how much it was. And I don't support drugs at all.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Lupe really sounds like Phife Dawg in places on this album.

Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

This new album is well...

it's awful really. I'm extremely dissapointed cause I know Lupe can do better. Food & Liquor was a piece of genius, this album is a great rapper over the top of sub-par beats. You know something's wrong when the tightest beat on the album comes from a track produced by someone from Fall Out Boy :p
    There are far too many feat.'s, which really doesn't help to maintain any flow or consistancy in the album. I know that it's a common thing with hip-hop yes, but it's just a bit overboard here in my opinion.

Superstar, Hip-Hop Saved My Life and Little Weapon are problably the only songs I can really apprechiate here. The rest for me just don't live up to what he's come out with before. Unfortunately, i'd say Superstar carries this album, and is the only track here that could be marketed mainstream, which is why I don't expect much success for this album.

Don't get me wrong, I love Lupe, I just don't love this album all that much and prefered his older stuff.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

@feenix: listen again.

Dean

I find The Cool that little bit more satisfying than Food & Liquor. Both really good albums though.

Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

Yeah, a lot of albums that I love I hated at first so hopefully that'll happen here. Minutes to Midnight I thought was absolutely terrible to begin with but I changed my mind.

So yeah, i'll give The Cool a fair chance of course, but when it comes to Hip-Hop I know what I like, and I don't think half of these tracks can ever grow on me.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

It's sweet that Lupe's fans are of the opinion that he's the greatest rapper alive right now. It's also sweet that Lupe thinks he should be a worldwide star, like a 50 Cent or a Jay-Z, after only releasing 2 albums thus far.

This whole "i'm going to retire because i'm still underground and not famous" thing is bullshit. It's akin to an underground hardcore band that is associated with larger acts in their genre, with fans that think they're the best thing since sliced cheese, and them splitting up because they haven't made it onto the Warped Tour or some such shit after 2 albums.

It takes time and work to become famous. I like his music, but all in all, it seems Lupe falls into his own self-hype and thinks he should be on MTV, selling 2 million records the day "The Cool" was released, etc.

No thanks.

El Muerto

I don't agree. God knows how many kids could those 6 kilos kill, and although I don't know the whole story, he probably got what he deserved.
    But that's not what this topic is about anyway..

$pvcxGhxztCasey

Is there seriously an argument against someone with 6 kilos of HEROIN getting 44 years in prison versus an NFL star that killed dogs getting 2? Seriously?

Distribution of a major blackmarket drug that's about ten times worse than cocaine and on the same level as meth... versus someone beating some dogs essentially for profit. Like Dusan said, that heroin could have killed alot of people, not just kids. Who was Michael Vick harming besides dogs? Should he have gotten the 44 years instead? Justice was served.

Sorry, just had to say that.

Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

I never knew Lupe thought so much of himself apart from what i've seen in this thread. Could you tell me more about it, what he's said etc?

I really don't agree with that kind of behaviour. It really tarnishes my view of an artist when they become arrogant in their work. Seems dissapointing that a rapper with so much potential would do that.
    But that is all it is at the moment, potential. I do believe he can do better.
    To quit after his next album would just be dumb.
    Though, we've all heared it before, Jay-Z anyone? Eminem? Jesus, I wont start listing or we'll be here all day.
    Point is, he'll be back.

That said, a good lot of bands do part ways because they aren't getting the fame they think they deserve. I think it's fine as long as they're sincere about it and it genuinely frustrates them to the point where they need to try other things.
    Look at it this way, you work your ass off, day in day out, to make music to the point where you think you've got it perfect. It's taken maybe a year, two years to put a record together and then you release it, and it just doesn't get noticed. I think that can annoy you without you being arrogant about it.

Dean

I don't see why people are trying to size them up against each other. Fact is, Vick deserves at least four or five times what he got whatever context you put it in. Patton's already got half a life sentence.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Thank you.
    Fucking hip-hop artists and their ego's.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

Yes, but to rob his fans of his work just because he's "worked for seven or eight years in hip-hop" and hasn't achieved the level he wants is just selfish. Without his rabid fanbase, where would he be? He wouldn't have Jay-Z as a fan, that's for sure.

Also, the quote I put in quotations is debatable, to me atleast. Big deal. For the majority of Lupe's career, he's been a mixtape guy. He's released atleast 30 mixtapes in 2 years or something like that. Before that, he was in a rap group that released a single, and that's it. That's why I think it's debatable that Lupe's been in the game for as long as he claims. Yes, technically, he is, but he's been under the radar (which is what he's complaining about), only releasing mixtapes up until last year when "Food & Liquor" was released. As someone with a friend (not close, don't get it confused) that's in rap and travels to New York frequently to partake in freestyle & beatbox competitions, mixtapes aren't that hard to master. The majority are simply freestyles over a beat that's already been established (ie "Big Pimpin" by Jay-Z"), or unreleased tracks that were already completed, or just a song with a bunch of people on it.

I'm not saying it's simple, but a mixtape is easier to record and finish than an actual album is, since the mixtape is just "for the streets" essentially. I consider Lupe's career to have begun with "Food & Liquor", and I actually think he should consider himself blessed, since that album was more highly praised than any hip-hop album I care to remember in recent memory.

If he keeps working towards his goal, he'll achieve it. If he just gives up after the next album, then he'll be just another rapper that thought his shit didn't stink. But maybe this is me just being annoyed with his comments and the general idea that Lupe is the greatest rapper alive when people like Lil' Wayne or Canibus are walking around, still releasing albums.

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

I agree with a lot of things that Casey said.

Although, I just listened to the album for the first time today and I really like it, I don't think it's a step forward.

His lyrics are still just as great and I can't blame him for doing anything wrong on this record.
    Still, I have a feeling he's counting too much on his, already established, image of a rapper who doesn't rap about cars and stuff than actually still trying to prove himself as that rapper, for the short career he's had.

I'm not saying he's a hypocrite, though.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

Umm.. yeah. Brutally murdering a life in one of the cruelest ways possible against their will or distributing a drug that people choose to put into their own bodies...