Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid, Apr 10, 2014.

1. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

http://marvel.com/news/tv/24095/declassifying_marvels_agents_of_shield_aftershocks

Official synopsis of the midseason premiere + the back half of the season

Also interesting to note is that Adrianne Palicki is now a series regular as Mockingbird, while Henry Simmons remains as a guest as Mack. Kyle MacLachlan (Mister Hyde), Ruth Negga (Raina), Dichen Lachman (Skye's mother Jiaying) and Simon Kassianides (Bakshi) are guests, so it'll be interesting to see what happens to Bakshi. I think Bakshi is the "traitor in SHIELD's midst" thing.

Also guests for the back half:

Blair Underwood as May's ex, Dr. Andrew Garner http://marvel.com/news/tv/23805/blair_underwood_joins_marvels_agents_of_shield.
    Edward James Olmos as Robert Gonzales who "will have massive repercussions for Director Coulson and his team." http://marvel.com/news/tv/23908/edward_james_olmos_comes_to_marvels_agents_of_shield.
    Luke Mitchell as an inhuman named Lincoln http://marvel.com/news/tv/24049/marvels_agents_of_shield_adds_luke_mitchell
    Jaimie Alexander as Sif http://marvel.com/news/tv/24063/the_lady_sif_returns_to_marvels_agents_of_shield.
    Drea de Matteo as Karla Faye Gideon, a Gifted who allies with Mister Hyde (also worth mentioning is she's a minor character from Daredevil comics) http://marvel.com/news/tv/24082/drea_de_matteo_turns_villainous_in_marvels_agents_of_shield.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  2. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I hope it doesn't turn out Mockingbird's been working with Hydra this whole time. I'll be really upset. I've been looking forward to seeing her and Black Widow on the same team on the big screen.

I can't wait for the second half of the season, though. AoS has really taken off since its crossover with The Winter Soldier and I'm glad it's not just a villain-of-the-day procedural drama anymore. The first half of the season was fantastic, so I'm hoping the second half's just as awesome.

3. The Joesen One

I doubt Mockingbird is working for HYDRA. I think she has another plan with Coulson's team as collateral damage, kinda like May in most of season 1.

4. The Joesen One

5. Will

I'd say it's most definitely Raina.

6. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I can't wait to see what kind of AoU crossover they have in store.

7. Will

Didn't they say it's going to be more substantial than just cleaning up after the Avengers post-Battle of New York and indeed the Winter Soldier crossover arc? I could see almost the entirety of the second half of this season being one big crossover. Let's not forget that the Lady Sif is in the first episode back; I think a lot of people are overlooking that.

8. The Joesen One

She's in the second episode back. Talbot and Bakshi are in the first.

Speaking of Talbot and Bakshi...

[video=youtube;tu6-8VVle9s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu6-8VVle9s[/video]

9. Will

Well, still, I think a lot of people are overlooking that she's in one of the earliest episodes in the second half.

I don't know much of what Talbot got up to in the comics, but I think it'd be sick if Marvel brought back some characters from The Incredible Hulk, like General Ross, and had them create the Thunderbolts together with Norman Osborne (assuming they bring him into the MCU). I think that'd be an amazing thing for season three of the show.

10. Will

So that episode was ridiculous.

11. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

My word, what a fantastic episode. Really looking forward to the next few episodes. I just hope Mac and Bobbi aren't working for Hydra or some shit like that. More than likely, they're probably working for Fury, or someone that isn't "bad."

12. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

It's good to be back. That was pretty amazing.

13. Will

Spoilers, obviously.

I'm not sure who Mockingbird and Mack are working for. I've read theories saying they're working for Fury (which makes no sense) or Stark (which makes a little more sense) or Talbot (which seems the most likely to me).

I think the collection of villains Coulson's team's collecting for Talbot's going to turn out to be a precursor to the Thunderbolts. I've said time and time again I think adding the Thunderbolts to the MCU would be brilliant. By creating a precursor to the Thunderbolts in the television universe, they can use a lot of the smaller B-list villains so as not to exhaust the more well-known villains that are traditionally associated with the actual Thunderbolts. I think Phase 4 might see the return of General Ross, and I think he'll use Talbot's ideas to form the Thunderbolts, but he'll be thinking big-time, and will use much more powerful and traditionally-known characters. (I mean, Zemo's being introduced in Civil War and I think it's unlikely that he'll die in that film. He could later become the leader of the Thunderbolts under Ross, like he does during the comics Civil War arc.) Hell, they don't even need to wait until Phase 4; I'm sure Marvel's got tons of ideas for television series, and I think they'd be remiss to have considered the Thunderbolts for a Netflix miniseries.

Also, you can tell the seeds are being planted for the Civil War, but very subtly. Fitz is protecting Skye and Simmons thinks terrigenesis should be destroyed. I think this is going to start to divide the team. I also think it's going to be Fitz who creates Quake's gauntlets so Skye can control her powers, since he's being very sympathetic toward her.

I've also read theories that this could even be the start of a Secret Invasion storyline for Phase 4, with Mockingbird and Mack actually being Skrull agents, but that seems super unlikely to me, since Phase 4 isn't going to start until, what, like, 2019 at the earliest?

edit —

I forgot the important part of my post. Here's why I think they're working for Talbot (and in a way, Stark).

Talbot's pro-government, obviously. Stark's leaning that way, especially after the events of Age of Ultron; he's going to feel responsible for all the destruction and is going to take the "it's better if we're all registered" stance he so avoided early in his Iron Man career. So here's what I think happened.

Maria Hill works for Stark Industries now. I think she told Stark about Coulson's team (leaving Coulson out of the story, obviously); I don't think she'd have told Stark anything about Coulson's team that Fury wouldn't (or didn't) want her to. But since Stark's a genius and has access to all this tech, he eventually finds out about Coulson's team and Coulson himself (but he keeps the knowledge to himself).

So Stark finds out Coulson's alive and wants to know how and why and what Fury's agenda is. Stark contacts Talbot and the two work together, with Talbot eventually inserting Mockingbird and her team into Coulson's team surreptitiously, to find out what's going on.

I think this can also be a minor catalyst for the Civil War arc, Stark finding out about Coulson and keeping it from the others. Cap's obviously going to be glad Coulson's alive but he's going to be furious with Fury (HA) for obvious reasons, because he's going to think the government's meddling where it ought not to have meddled. I think Stark's also going to find out about all the damage Skye's causing and how dangerous she can be, and that'll be another bullet point in his "why we should register" argument.

I can see the remnants of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Coulson's team, or at least those loyal to him; see what I said earlier about Simmons) being on Cap's side.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  14. The Joesen One

Interesting theory, Will.

Also, I'm worried Mack might not make it past the season, with Henry Simmons remaining as a guest star while Adrianne Palicki was upped to regular status. The fact that Mockingbird is not leaving any time soon is reassuring, but I'm a little worried about their true intentions. I don't want the team's remaining lead black dude to die again.

15. The Joesen One

16. travz21

Chloe is the hottest person in the world

17. The Joesen One

18. Will

I plan on getting caught up tonight. I've only seen the first episode back.

19. travz21

Last episode was really dumb, but the other two were great.

20. Will

I haven't gotten caught up yet, but I did come across a theory I haven't read before.

Agents Coulson, May, Fitz, and Simmons were all introduced into the mainstream Earth-616 comics universe. Conspicuously absent was Skye, because as it was revealed on the show, she already existed in Earth-616 as Quake/Daisy Johnson. Another conspicuous absence is Agent Ward. It was pointed out introducing Ward along with the rest of his teammates and then retreading his betrayal would be ridiculous. Instead, it was suggested that his character also already exists in Earth-616. The theory suggest that the show (and the MCU at large) is slowly setting Ward up to become Taskmaster (albeit with plenty of liberties taken with the character).

Personally, I think this is a tremendous theory, and I'm surprised I hadn't seen it before. I think it'd work out perfectly, especially with Ward having burned the bridges between himself and S.H.I.E.L.D. and Hydra. He's on his own now, and he'll work with whatever side benefits him the most, just as Taskmaster did/does. (And Skye, much like with Cal, could be his "muse," his reason for doing what he's doing, to get her attention.) And if the Red Skull ends up coming back like I'd theorized in the Phase 2 thread, Ward/Taskmaster could work for the Red Skull just as he did in the comics, which could allow Ward/Taskmaster to be introduced into the movies proper.

Has Ward been seen since the show came back? I really need to get caught up.