Michael Jackson

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Derek, Apr 26, 2011.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Legend, Visionary, or Overrated?

Discuss.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

He's basically the 1980's version of Justin Bieber. But at least his music is more complex than "baby, baby, baby oooooooo".

The guy had an extremely talented voice and had great dancing abilities. The rest is...yeah :lol:

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

If he ever had that much in common with Justin Bieber it was in the early part of his career, ie not the 80s

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
    Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Wow, my bad. I meant when he was kid/was in the Jackson 5, which wasn't in the 80's :lol:

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

Overrated indeed. I think it was funny how many people forgot about all the crap he did once he died, and he was all the sudden a legend or somethin.

I give props where props are do, for his early-mid early work, he had a great voice, but I can't say I have 1 song of his on my iphone.

Derek

I'll post my opinions later tonight, but I'm finding these opinions very interesting. I'd love to actually know Minus' opinion in this thread, due to his varied musical taste.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

I find it sad that poor MJ has a tainted reputation these days.

He was a legend with a terrific voice who performed and/or wrote some of the best pop songs ever made. Regardless with what he did or didn't do later in life you can't deny that.

they don't make Pop like that these days that's for sure.

Its just such a shame his life went of the rails the way it did.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

My opinion is that your use of the apostrophe is flawed. You post the apostrophe after the letter S only when showing possession for a plural noun. For example:

In this case, since we're wanting to show ownership for the idiots, we add an apostrophe at the end. But in your case, you would say this:

As Minus is not plural, you add the apostrophe AND the letter s to the noun.

Derek

Now that you've taken care of correcting my grammar, could you tell us your opinions on Michael Jackson? :lol:

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

Oh I hope you didn't really expect a sincere answer from Minus right away. :lol: You probably know better than I do that it takes time to get something serious out of him. :)

Derek

Of course I knew. This IS Minus we're talking about after all :lol:.

iamsatan

iamsatan Well-Known Member

Don't really care about his music, dancing, or personal life, so I guess overrated.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I can't say I care for him much, but I don't really want to call him overrated, the legendary nature of his work doesn't jump out at me though.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I agree completely with what I bolded. Wouldn't necessarily call him overrated though, since he is someone to get inspiration off of for pop music, not that the majority of the newer pop music is any good anyway.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

He wasn't a paedophile. I'll just put that out there.

The first South Park episode about him pretty much hit the nail on the head. He had issues, but that was not one of them.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
    travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I find it hard to believe that he didn't touch kids.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Well he did inspire numerous artists over a long period of time. He was a complete entertainer: singing, dancing, presentation... he had it all. And he did all that to perfection. So yes, he's a legend in his own right.

Derek

Wow, I expected some hate for Jackson in this thread but I never expected that basically nobody on these forums would be a fan of him. :lol:

For starters, the pedophile accusations were false. All people have to do is read this article to discover that Evan Chandler (the father of the boy in the 1993 case) was an asshole who was over his head in debt, jealous of Michael's friendship with his son (as Evan wasn't too close to his kid) and was determined to ruin Michael's career and make millions off of him. There's tape recordings proving this, and not only that...when the case in 2003 happened, it was revealed through court documents that absolutely no evidence was found in Jackson's home suggesting he had a sexual desire towards children, and that the family that sued him had a history of trying to extort big celebrities for cash (they did the same thing to Jay Leno). That's why Jackson was found not guilty. He never did any of what he was accused of. It was all a jealous father who wanted to ruin Michael Jackson, and 10 years later the family (capitalizing off of the 1993 case) sued him again cause they felt the public would find him guilty.

But this thread isn't about whether or not he was guilty, so I'll give my opinion on his music.

My opinion is that Michael Jackson is severely underrated as an artist. I know it's a crazy to call someone who's sold millions of records and inspired numerous artists "underrated", but one can argue that many people never really listened to his music or gave him a chance because of his sometimes odd behavior, and the accusations listed above.

He re-invented the concept of the music video with Thriller, did it again with Moonwalker (which was basically an hour long music video for Smooth Criminal) and continued to make innovative videos that defied the norm, and showed what a great imagination he had. Most people don't know that apart from a select few videos (Who Is It, Bad etc) the concepts for the videos were made by Michael. Same applies to his music. In many cases, he crafted the songs from the ground up in his head. He would come up with individual string sections and bass lines all in his head, hum them into a tape recorder and then have studio musicians recreate them. He came up with the infamous bassline for Billie Jean, and also the entire beat for Who Is It was beatboxed by him prior to being recorded with instruments. Check this out:

[youtube]sru30AS1Wiw[/youtube]

And then the Final version:

[youtube]WjLGXH28LJU[/youtube]

He came up with many of his lyrics on the spot in the studio, and vocally he had a 4 octave range which was higher than Mariah Carey or Whitney Houston. I suggest people check out his entire discography, cause many of the songs on there were even better than the singles.

So yeah I find him absolutely legendary and even underrated.

:lol:

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

thanks for forgetting my opinion Derek! I'm on your side dammit! :lol:

But anyway, nice post! It proves that MJ had a lot more going for him than just his voice, and when Quincy Jones was at the helm they made some brilliant records. Its a shame they never teamed up again before his death. Who knows how many killers songs and albums MJ could of made?

Derek

Yeah but you and I are in a pretty big minority right now :lol:.

And the problem with the Quincy partnership is that they started to really fight around the time Bad was being produced. Michael started becoming a lot more controlling in the studio and wanted things his way (and 'This Is It' shows he was definitely a big perfectionist) and it kind of pissed Quincy off.

I agree that had they worked on a comeback record together, it could've been huge. The 80s were some of the most solid years in MJ's recording career. Although...HIStory was a pretty solid album, despite being the angriest album Michael ever made.

Here's a little trivia for you: Michael's manager (Frank Dileo) is my best friend's Father-In-Law. :lol: