Minutes To Midnight 10th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Atticus, May 14, 2017.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Minutes To Midnight was released 10 years ago today on May 14th, 2007. In honour of the record turning ten, let's celebrate by remembering Linkin Park's first departure in sound:

When What I've Done was released, I remembering despising the track simply because it didn't sound like their infamous nu-metal anthems. Chester didn't scream, Mike didn't rap, and there were no crushing guitars. Over the next few months leading to the album's release I grew to appreciate the track as a softer alternative rock anthem in its own right.

When Minutes To Midnight released later, being a casual fan who only really had the singles from earlier releases, I previewed each track on iTunes and was greatly disappointed in the selection. There were so many softer "boring" tracks in my 14 year old mind. I decided to only download Given Up, Bleed It Out and No More Sorrow, while also taking a risk on Leave Out All The Rest and In Pieces.

Given Up was extremely intimidating at first listen. The angst was there but the punk guitar riff was jarring and the swearing was bewildering. Bleed It Out was comforting as it was basically a nu-metal LP song dressed in alternative rock sound. No More Sorrow was excellent and the chilling E-Bow really stood out. I regretted downloading Leave Out All The Rest, but I found refuge with In Pieces for the relatable lyrics and the electrifying guitar solo.

Ten years have passed and I look back at my 14 year old self in embarrassment. Minutes To Midnight is an excellent record and was elemental for Linkin Park's progression. Here are some of my reflective thoughts on each track:

Wake: Tense instrumental that really sets the alternative rock tone for the record, even if its a little lacklustre.
    Given Up: Weak lyrics, but that bridge is Chester's best delivered angst in his career.
    Leave Out All The Rest: Still boring all these years later.
    Bleed It Out: Such an infectious song, perfect for any occasion.
    Shadow Of The Day: It has since been dethroned by later power ballads in the band's discography, but it's still incredibly solid. INB4 U2 With Or Without You.
    What I've Done: This song will go down as a classic Linkin Park staple without a doubt, and it's better than its spiritual successors.
    Hands Held High: A flawed experiment, however Mike's verses are legendary and the outro has some of my favourite lyrics of all time.
    No More Sorrow: Until The Hunting Party, I wholeheartedly believed this was Linkin Park's best heavy track. That guitar riff is simply legendary and Chester's raspy vocals were unrivalled here.
    Valentine's Day: The first half of this song, "emo" cliches aside is perfect. The second half however... is cringeworthy.
    In Between: I've never understood the praise for this track. Feels like a dull lullaby. Although the lyrics are fantastic.
    In Pieces: This song is pure gold and incredibly underrated. Vocals are dynamite and the transition from indie pop to alternative rock is brilliantly executed.
    The Little Things Give You Away: Arguably Linkin Park's best song. That slow burning guitar solo is the perfect climax to the record.

Overall I'd place it under A Thousand Suns and The Hunting Party in Linkin Park's discography in 3rd position.

What does LPA think?

Modern Guitar God and Alexrednex like this.
    Virgocore

Virgocore Well-Known Member

Minutes To Midnight is my favorite album the band has ever done. I love every track to the fullest, and I even love the demos from the album that we have heard through LP Underground. Even if you don't like the album, as a fan, you have to understand that it really opened up the future of Linkin Park and it was very important for the band to make. Mike Shinoda even said a few years ago in 2015 that if they did not make Minutes To Midnight, they wouldn't have been able to make A Thousand Suns and everything after it because they'd be stuck doing Hybrid Theory every time and eventually wouldn't want to do it anymore.

Wake: Love this little intro track and always have. Flows nice into Given Up and it has some cool instrumentation.

Given Up: My favorite ''heavy'' sounding song from the band in their entire discography. Chester's screaming is probably the most aggressive he has ever done on this track and nothing will it ever beat it for me. Yeah, it has some ''angst'', but it was real, because it came from the pent up aggression that Chester had from drugs and alcohol, which has been said in interviews. Mike wanted him to say something he would really say in real life, and this is what came out. So I can get past the angst of it and take it for what it's worth - and let's be honest, we all have had bad times in our lives where we felt like this, whether we admit it or not. I also love the punk vibe to it, something we don't often see from the band.

Leave Out All The Rest: I always loved this song from the first minute I ever heard it and I still love it as much today. Amazing lyrics, and during an interview in 2015, Mike said this was a very deep song for the band at the time and he worked really hard on the lyrics. I think it shows here. Yes, it's a bit on the poppier side, but I love it for that. This is something that would never have appeared on Hybrid Theory and Meteora, and I think that's cool. The beat is great, too.

Bleed It Out: Well, this is just a classic right here. Super fun song, cool lyrics, and makes for a great live song, IMO. Kind of retains some of the old school Linkin Park style to it, but it's done much more classier in this track. The guitar in this song sounds really cool, too.

Shadow Of The Day: I actually didn't fully love this song when I first heard it. Not until years down the line did I really appreciate it. My Grandfather died and it was a big deal for me and the rest of my family because he was so loved and important to us. And I found myself connecting with the lyrics, since it's about death and all. And years after that, other people in my family died, as well as people I grew up with, etc. It really hit me hard that so many people were dying that I once knew. So I really started appreciating this song for it's lyrics, they are very good to me. You can also interpret them in ways of losing friends, or breaking up with a girl that you really cared about, etc. And the guitar solo is great in this one. Again, this type of song would never appear on Hybrid Theory or Meteora, but that's what makes it cool for the band.

What I've Done: I know that many people dislike this song because of it's mainstream appeal, but I've always loved this song. Possibly is my favorite song the band has ever put out. I just LOVE the lyrics, I love Chester's vocal delivery here because it sounds very strong, and I love how it was the first thing we heard that the band did since Meteora. I felt like it bridged the gap quite nicely, and that's why the band made it. It's also a killer live song all these years later. The band also tried to replicate this song with many songs in years since it came out, and none of them hold a candle to What I've Done, IMHO. It's also amazing that Mike wrote this entire song in just one night that he stayed up making it. Shinoda is a boss.

Hands Held High:
    Probably the most non-Linkin Parkish song on the album, but the lyrics are very strong. Mike delivers a very powerful message here, and I'm glad they released this song on the album. I love the drum beat, and I even surprisingly love the chorus, even as an atheist. It just fits. I like it, even though a lot of fans don't really care for it.

No More Sorrow: Wow, what a monster of a song. So heavy, so angry, so great. I loved seeing this song live years ago, the fans got really into it, as well as the band. The ebow is really cool, as well, and this song features some of Rob's coolest drumming, ever, IMO. Instrumentally, I think this is probably the heaviest song the band has ever released. I'd love to hear a demo version of this song, to see how it came to be. There are a lot of stuff buried in the mix of this track, according to the band, and you can hear cool stuff if you really listen. I think the band said they recorded this broken air conditioner that they were using from the studio in the mix. Pretty cool.

Valentine's Day: One of the most hated Linkin Park songs, but I absolutely love this song, and often get emotionally caught up in it. I love Chester's vocal delivery the most in this song out of probably any Linkin Park song. Whether or not the lyrics mean something to him, he sings it in a way that makes it seem like they do. I know the song is about death, like most songs on this album, but to this day, I still can't pin point what this song is exactly about, which I like about it. That's a sign of good lyrics to me. The band got a lot of shit for using the lyric ''On a valentine's day'', but you have to look at it metaphorically speaking. It's actually clever and pretty cool. I dig this song a lot, still one of my favorites. Very alternative rock sounding.

In Between: Another song hated by a lot of fans, I dig this one as well. This is really the first song we ever heard Mike actually ''sing'' on, unless you count No Roads Left, which I won't count since it wasn't technically on the album, it was a bonus track. The lyrics are pretty good and Mike delivers them. It's a very somber and mellow type of track, you have to be in the right mood for it, I feel like. But it's good. This is probably tied with Hands Held High as the most non-Linkin Park sounding song on the album.

In Pieces: One of my favorite vocal performances from Chester on any album he has ever done. I also love the music, the guitar solo is amazing, Rob's drumming is amazing, and I love the reggae style beat that it has starting with the second verse, which Chester pointed out. Chester actually wrote the lyrics to this song about his divorce with Samantha, so you know it's pretty important to him. I even remember in late 2008, Chester said during an interview that he wished this song became a single, because he really liked it. It wasn't GREAT live, but it wasn't as bad as some people think, IMO. Definitely better with the studio version, though. It sounds almost haunting at times, but it's a really cool song, I like it a lot. The xylophone at the beginning is also epic, it's one of the coolest intros to any Linkin Park song ever, IMO.

The Little Things Give You Away:
    I can't describe how amazing this song is. To this day, I consider it Linkin Park's best work. It's not my favorite song, but it's their best song, if that makes more sense. You can't help but feel the pain and emotion in the lyrics, being inspired by Hurricane Katrina's victims. And the instrumentation and melodies are just spot on.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Deliveranze likes this.
    Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

You say the album is "excellent", but then only say half the record is really any good or "boring".

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

18 year old me was not prepared for this album when it was released... I hated it at first but it grew on my after some time. Lyrically, I think it's their best and most mature record. The thing with this album is that some songs are great (In Pieces is my jam!), some are just okay, and then there's Hands Held High... so it's hard for me to judge this album as a whole.

Sasuke and Deliveranze like this.
    Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

MTM is the only LP album that I still find "deep" and "emotional." It's my favorite album by the band with some of their best written material.

Given Up: My least favorite track on the album. Still better than it's OSC/Don't Stay counterparts. Lyrics are a bit too angst but goddammit it's great to let some aggression out. 7/10

Leave Out All The Rest: The last MTM song I heard. Great message. Great lyrics. A really strong ballad track. 8/10

Bleed It Out: The chorus and bridge is a little cheesy to me now, but Mike kills this track. Showed huge improvement from Meteora and The Rising Tied with more confidence and literally much tighter rhyme structure. A great banger. 9/10

5. Shadow of the Day: One of the more uplifting songs as it starts somber but turns more optimistic. Fantastic lyrics, beautiful chorus and just a great song in general. 8/10

6. What I've Done: My first LP song. Love it to this day. Even though the band has tried to recreate this song dozens of times, this one will always have a special place in my heart. 10/10

7. Hands Held High: One of the best LP songs. Fantastically written with a great message. One of the few occasions were Mike finds a great balance of technical prowness and emotional lyrics. 10/10

No More Sorrow: That intro is fucking awesome. The rest of the song is weaker but it's still a good song for what it is. It's a less well written and detailed version of Hands Held High tho. 7/10

Valentine's Day: One of the band's best ballads. Chester sounds vulnerable as hell and it made me cry the first time I heard it. So haunting and so beautiful. 10/10

In Between: The band's most underrated song next to Forgotten. Somber and sweet, Mike delivers a well meaningful song that is simple but packs a punch. 9/10

In Pieces: One of the band's best choruses, In Pieces could've been the closer and still be satisfying. Chester really brings his A game and his emotions here. 10/10

The Little Things Give You Away: Great lyrics, great message. This is LP showing their potential as more than just a nu metal band. Not a song that I can listen to regularly but it's hard not to appreciate the work that went in this song. 9/10 for it's execution. 8/10 for me personally.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I remember this album was the shit back when I was in elementary. A lot of us got into Linkin Park because "What I've Done" was played everywhere, especially with Transformers coming out.

Noosh and Deliveranze like this.
    Noosh

Noosh Well-Known Member

I'm saddened that I never got into Linkin Park during the MTM days because this album sits a close second to LT and ATS for me, it's such a great album that maintains what was good about the band's old style and takes it in new directions.

Wake: It's kinda there but it's still a great opening to the album. I'm glad the instrumental slot was used to start the album rather than provide a pointless opening to the last song.
    Given Up: Simplistic in structure but the track is an effective opener for the album. The incredibly long scream during the bridge is still a highlight on the record as a whole.
    Leave Out All The Rest: Gorgeous tune, one of my favourites off the album and one of the best emotional Linkin Park songs for me, so glad it's returning in full on the One More Light tour. The cello and the spacey synth melody along with the heavy guitar underneath really tie this song together.
    Bleed It Out: Not exactly a highlight of the album for me but still a great track nonetheless. Also this song is to Linkin Park what Knights Of Cydonia is to Muse really, a great track to close out a live set on a high and energetic note.
    Shadow Of The Day: Can never listen to this one in casual circumstances because it properly tugs the heartstrings. It's an interesting song because it's both sombre and slow yet it still has the usual Linkin Park energy to it, making it one of the better tracks on the album as a result.
    What I've Done: One of the tracks that got me into the band back when Transformers wasn't a cash cow movie franchise. If ever there's an LP song that defines the core sound of the band, it's this one. Great guitar sections, great piano sections, excellent vocals. Easily one of the best songs on the album.
    Hands Held High: The vocal harmonies here are sweet although Linkin Park did slightly better politically charged songs on later albums.
    No More Sorrow: Love it. The highly energetic and the guitar melody and the "theives and hypocrites" bridge really tie the song together. Overall, it's a great tune with pretty good lyrics.
    Valentine's Day: This track is alongside Leave Out All The Rest and What I've Done as one of my favourites from this album. The track builds up so well and that heavy outro really hits hard when it hits. Love this one.
    In Between: I'm neither here nor there on this track really, it's not too bad but at the same time, it's nothing stellar in terms of slower songs.
    In Pieces: Firmly agree that this is one of the underrated gems of the album. In Pieces is my favourite track on the album because it builds so well and the vocals and lyrics are stunning. Such a shame that this one faded out of the sets after the MTM tours...
    The Little Things Give You Away: This track stands firm alongside Powerless as my favourite closer of a Linkin Park album, like In Pieces and Valentine's Day, the track progresses really well and the lyrics are still amazing to this day. The guitar solo and the vocal harmony afterwards really give the track a sense of finality and tie the album up beautifully.

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Too much Chester, this is the only problem I have with MTM.
    TLTGYA is my favorite song of all time. and what the fuck were they thinking to not putting No Roads Left on the final tracklist, this song is fucking amazing!

Noosh likes this.
    Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Elementary? That makes me feel old. This album came out when I was 19. Anyway:

Wake: An average opener but really set the tone for the rest of the album. LP needs more opening tracks. 5.0

Given Up: This song is a banger instrumentally. I first heard this track when it was streamed on LinkinPark.com as a surprise...or a mistake, I can't remember which. The lyrics didn't age well, thus holds it back a bit. 6.0

Leave Out All the Rest:
    I consider this to be the bands first real ballad. I love this song, as it holds a special place to me in regards to the relationship I have with my wife. 9.0

Bleed it Out:
    You can tell they were still trying different things while still keeping them the same. A bit repetitive, but still a fun track that stands out on its own to me because the band have yet to do anything similar. 7.0

Shadow of the Day:
    As said before, this song sounds like something from U2. That's okay, though. This song builds until the end, and has a nice little instrumental at the end leading into the next song. I wish the band did more of that. 7.0

What I've Done:
    A good choice for the lead single. I enjoy this song from time to time, and didn't ruin it for myself as I don't listen to commercial radio and don't give a shit about Transformers, so it can still be fresh to me. 6.0

Hands Held High:
    The first real "risk" of this album. The band has a knack for the second half of their albums being the most 'out there', thus from this point on, the album really picks up for me. Mike tells a great story, as his lyrics paint a picture of a corrupt leader and unnecessary war. Fantastic. 10.0

No More Sorrow:
    I used this song for my wrestling entrance for the longest time. This song gets me so fucking hyped. It hasn't aged as well as I would have liked, and until The Hunting Party this song was their heaviest of all. I felt like this was Chester's version of what was going on at the time. 8.0

Valentine's Day:
    When I first heard the snippet for this song, I hated it. As I got older, I loved it. I still love it. One of the bands most underrated songs. 9.0

In Between:
    People HATE this song. I think it does good for what's it's supposed to be, and without it we wouldn't have gotten more of Mike like we have today. 6.0

In Pieces:
    There isn't another song in the bands discography like this one. I believe this one is about Chester's divorce. When I first heard this song, the solo came from nowhere. It really surprised me, too bad Brad can't play it well live. 8.0

The Little Things Give You Away:
    This is arguably one of the bands best songs, and that's all I've got to say about that. 10.0

Final Score: 7.6

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

"Given Up" is one of my favorite songs by the band.

Michele likes this.
    Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

The first half of the album is decent (yet problematically inconsistence in terms of tone/lyrics/sound), but what I love and mostly remember from Minutes To Midnight is the second half (from HHH and onwards) where all the songs are HUGE departures from LP's signature sound. The second half contains some of their most mature, cohesive, down to earth and yet interesting work to date.
    Yes, some of these songs aren't experimental and all fall into the Alternative rock/pop genre, but they feel so new and genuine for Linkin Park (and maybe even more important in the context of OML)

Furthermore, the ending of this album still contains one of, if not their best song to date The Little Things Give You Away.

Noosh and Sasuke like this.
    Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

ATS on average seems to be the fan favorite around here, but if I had to pick right now MtM is still my favorite overall to date on a personal enjoyment level (MtM > ATS = LT > HT > M > THP). It likely has to do with it being the LP album I was exposed to most, which to this day is generally my go to LP album. "Given Up" blew my mind with Chester's screaming, "Leave Out All the Rest" was played on loop, memorized Mike's verses in "Bleed It Out", etc - I loved and still love this album. I feel it's a little unfocused at points since it was new for them, but it still holds up. There's something here no matter what mood I'm in.

If they didn't make a turning point starting with this album and onwards, then I wouldn't still be a fan.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
    Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I think it's better than HT or Meteora, not necessarily a favorite above LT or ATS, for me personally. I always see MTM, ATS, and LT as the Rubin trilogy or something :lol:

I like the really intimate feel of MTM (don't know how else to describe it). You can kind of sense that they did write and record it in a huge, strange mansion in Los Angeles. My favorite songs on the album are In Pieces, No More Sorrow, and Valentine's Day.

Virgocore

Virgocore Well-Known Member

Me too. I love it. I honestly think it sounds drastically different than Hybrid Theory or Meteora. Yes, the lyrics have angst, but you have to dig into it. It's basically about not wanting to live anymore, to put it bluntly, because overwhelming anxiety and depression have defeated you. That's pretty deep. It doesn't come across as ''whiny'' to me, like a lot of the lyrics on Hybrid Theory and Meteora do. It's not like One Step Closer, which is basically saying ''I don't like what you're saying, so I'm gonna throw a fit and break stuff''. And we all know Chester went through some dark times in 2005-2006, so it's easy to see where Chester was at it when they wrote the lyrics to this song. Musically, it's pretty badass, the guitar work is great, the drumming is cool, and I love how Brad added the jingling keys to the intro, alongside the hand clapping. Chester's screaming in this song is probably his best screaming, if you're a fan of that. I don't think any song has even come to close to the level of it in this track, and probably never will. The chorus is quite challenging to sing as well. Overall, I think it's a really solid track. Like I said, it's my favorite ''heavy'' song the band has ever put out.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Even though I totally respect the album and how important it was for LP, and What I've Done/SOTD/LOATR were some of my first LP songs, I think MTM remains my least favorite album. It's just the one that I'm least often inclined to listen to all the way through.

That being said, it has some freaking awesome stuff on it. BIO/WID/SOTD are just classic, recently I've been appreciating how good the lyrics on LOATR are since they brought it back in full to their set, Hands Held High feels like one of Mike's greatest raps (and is refreshing to listen to these days since it was one of the last tracks we got that wasn't bragging), and of course TLTGYA is just crazy good. But In Pieces, In Between, NMS, Valentine's Day...they just never call out to me to listen to them. I enjoy NMS a lot when I'm listening to heavy playlists, but it's not so special anymore after THP imo (of course it has the special factor of being first, but still). I also really enjoy Valentine's day, but for some reason am never inclined to play it specifically, maybe because it feels seasonal to me lol.

I am always fascinated by the discussions about what this album could've been with the multiple deleted tracks. I think some combination of adding in/switching tracks for Across the Line, Chance of Rain, Debris, and QWERTY could've made it a lot more fun of an album for me. I think a dope tracklist (keeping it at 12) would be:

Debris (it has a great "start of an albu
    BIO
    SOTD
    LOATR
    Across the Line
    In Pieces
    QWERTY
    HHH
    Chance of Rain
    Given Up
    WID
    TLTGYA

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I don't think Mike has done better verses than the ones in HHH since.

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

This album is my favorite album from the band thus far, with my favorite song thus far. Will do a review of the album tomorrow since it's currently midnight where I live and I have this thing called school.

Deliveranze likes this.
    The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Adam's stories about M2M. :)

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

The album aged well, and I can enjoy each of its songs to some extent.

The best thing about it is probably the mixing though. So damn crisp and clear.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
    Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

The album has its flaws that's for sure with several peaks and lows but overall I think the record is greater than the sum of its parts, even though I feel most of the album has been done better in later releases. The successes far outweigh the failures, especially considering the album's context within Linkin Park's discography.