New Gorillaz album - The Fall

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Cinemamonster, Dec 25, 2010.

Cinemamonster

Cinemamonster Are you watching closely?

[​IMG]

You can listen to it right here: thefall.gorillaz.com

So, what do you think?

And BTW, it was mostly made on the iPad (but of course, there are some other instruments too).

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
    Zak

Zak HEY, EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

Hell yeah.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Lol. Where did this come from? I had no idea they were releasing anything. Good news.

Cinemamonster

Albarn (with some other collaborators) had been writing this during Gorillaz North American tour.
    And not so long ago he told the press that he was going to release his iPad/tour album for free at Christmas.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
    Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Yeah I had no idea about this as well. I'll check it out... their last album was kinda disappointing to me. Hopefully this'll make up to an extent.

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

The album feels very much like a G-Sides/D-Sides for Plastic Beach minus remixes taking up a good chunk of the tracklist. :awesome:

There's parts of it I like and parts I dislike. The overdone electronic aspect got annoying at times and anytime it sounded like someone was jamming on keys to repeat the same thing over and over again got old really fast, but there are a couple gems that I thought had potential to be great, full songs. And ending the album with like, 40 seconds of yodeling... What the hell? :lol:

Ant

Ant Ambient

FYI: It was made almost entirely on iPads. They used instruments for some parts, but everything else is made on the iPad.

Kæton

Yes, I'm aware. I read Cinemamonster's original post. Your point? :lol:

Ant

Ant Ambient

His post was edited to include that after I made that post, so I'm not sure how you could have been aware from that :p

My point was the "overdone electronic aspect ... [that] sounded like someone was jamming on keys to repeat the same thing over and over" can likely be attributed to that.

Kæton

That was part of their post since at least last night, when I finally got around to listening to this album.

And what does using an iPad have to do with someone repeatedly playing the same samples over and over again in an annoying fashion? :lol:

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

I don't mind Gorillaz so I might even check it out.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Me thinks you're imagining things ;)

Because it's more difficult to create beats on an iPad than it is a full studio suite on a computer, which kind of limits what you're able to do. I never said it was a good album -- I don't care for Gorillaz.

Cinemamonster

Just to clarify: the original post HAD information about album's iPad origins.
    I edited it later just to clean it from grammar f*ck ups.

P.S. I like this album. It has such strange atmosphere that keeps me listening to it over and over again.

Kæton

I guess that makes me psychic in your eyes then considering I kept in mind it was done mostly on an iPad while listening to the album for the first time. Seriously dude, what the hell? :lol:

And regardless, do you even know what I'm talking about? Have you listened to the album? I'm not talking about repetition in the beats or structure of the music, I am talking about the blatant repetition of a sample being played over and over and over again. The repetition in songs like The Speak It Mountains and Seattle Yodel.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I might check this out.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I'm checking the album out right now. I found myself skipping quite a few tracks already. "Detroit" is excessively annoying.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

Album = deleted. I don't keep albums just because I like the artist overall.

I'm sorry if this album was not under the name Gorillaz, I don't think most people would be praising it so highly. It's mediocre.

OH BUT I WAS MADE ON AN IPAD. So what? That doesn't excuse mediocre music. Hearing how it was made was interesting but no one gets extra points in my book.

Ant

Ant Ambient

No need to be a smart alec: it's pretty common knowledge on music and technology sites, that wouldn't make you a psychic, that would make you well-informed, would it not?

Yes, I know what you're talking about. Again, I say that could likely be attributed to the technology being used. I doubt they were overloading their iPads with samples, nor do I think they could create tons of beats to replace any repeated samples on technology as limited as an iPad.

Cinemamonster

I found two things that I hate about this album:
    1) Strange sounds in HillBilly Man
    2) Seattle Yodel

Kæton

Wait. You insinuated that I didn't know beforehand it was made on an iPad, even going so far as to suggest I imagined reading it here, in this thread, and you're calling me a smart alec? Again I ask, what the hell, dude? :lol:

Yet that has nothing to do with what I was talking about. I simply stated I did not care for when it seemed someone was resampling the same sound over and over again. Regardless of technical restrictions, unless they were forced to fill X amount of time, it's not like those bits were necessary, hence why I did not enjoy them. It's a personal preference, not a critique on the technical limitations.