New Lyrics Competition

Discussion in 'Your Projects' started by Louis, Dec 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

That's right, kids. The lyrics competition is back.

The last lyrics competition was partially a success, so I'm going to make this one bigger and better. Not everybody got their prizes, not to mention not everybody claimed their poems and lyrics. For those of you who never got their respected prizes, I apologize greatly. David, since you PMed me recently, you will still get the prize you deserve. I will e-mail you with an attachment of your prize.

So, let's get back to this one. This will definitley be a successful competition and I will make sure of it. So, here's a time frame I have in mind.

January 2nd, the contest will begin. That is this upcoming Monday. I will give you until the 14th (which is a Saturday) to submit your poems and lyrics. That is more time than the last competition, so you will definitely have time to put those 'last touches' onto your work. The next day, I will post them, and you will vote. But the voting situation is different this time.

I want it to be a surprise who wins this time, because last time it was like "Oh, this person won," before I could officially confirm it. So, you will e-mail me with your vote. And the lyrics will be submitted to me too. Voting ends at the end of Sunday, January 28, 2005. That's two weeks for you to vote. I want everybody who can to vote! I want this to be interesting. So, here are your prizes this time:

1st place: $30 iTunes Money or 2 requested albums.
    2nd place: $25 iTunes Money or 1 requested album.
    3rd place: $10 iTunes Money or 6 requested songs from one album.

No, Raj will not record a song :lol: . Also, please do not request something rare or hard to find because I will not be able to find it! Also, you will have to request an album, not a compilation of songs. And for 3rd place, you will have to recieve 6 songs from ONE certain album. Not a compilation of different songs.

The e-mail address that you should send your lyrics to is listed at the end of this post. E-mail me there with your poem or lyrics and then later with your vote. YOU CANNOT VOTE FOR YOURSELF.

I don't want ties this time, also. So, the ties will be put head to head. Who ever wins gets their requested prize (only 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, obviously). If you lose your head to head, you don't get a prize. I don't want to look around everywhere for music. It's annoying and frustrating.

Remember, January 2nd, guys. It begins. I suggest you start writing what you want to send soon.

GX

E-MAIL ADDRESS: [email protected]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
    esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Are you gonna mail the winner the actual CD or just email us the songs? Because if it is the latter, it would be kind of pointless.

EDIT: And these have to be new, right? You can't have posted them here before?

EDIT #2: Also, is there one entry per person?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
    Louis

Well, here's the case.

According to iTunes, you can gift someone with iTunes money to buy what they want. So, that's pretty easy. If you don't use iTunes, then I'll have to get the music. I will send the songs by e-mail. And it isn't pointless. No matter what, you're getting the songs you want. I'm not going to send you the actual disc because, well, my parents would never let me send a disc by mail. You'll recieve the album, or albums, by e-mail. It's not that difficult. If you want the actual CD, you're going to have to get it yourself. This is the best I can do.

And yes, it has to be a song that you have not posted on the LPA before.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I just mean, I could probably download the songs myself if I wanted to. I gues sit would save me a touch of work (but the poem would mroe than cover that). I'm not complaining, as I know this is all for fun, and the prizes are just an added bonus. I was just pointing out, it would be nice if you could do it another way. Regardless, congrats on hosting another one of these.

Louis

You make a point, but this competition is not about the prizes. It's about who are the best lyricists of the LPA. TransArhaz won last time, and David tied, so they were the best lyricists. That's the point of this competition. The prizes, like you said, are an added bonus; a treat. Yeah, it saves you some work. And if you have iTunes, it saves you money!

EDIT: Yes, one entry per person. If you enter 15 poems for example, you have a better chance of winning. So, 1 per person makes it fair.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Okay, thanks. Yeah, I know it is the best lyricist thing. I was just pointing out soemhting so you could make it even better if you got any ideas. Again, thanks for holding this. I think I'll try to enter something, even if I know I'll get schoolled.

Louis

No problem, bro. It's always a pleasure.

D_A_V_I_D

D_A_V_I_D Pure Pwnage

Well i havn't been here in quite a while, nice to see that a new comp is running. Hmmm, i have a few unfinished works, i'll have to get cracking and write something good. I like the new voting system but i have one problem with your rules. If someone come draw first and then looses their head to head, you said they get nothing, that is completly unfair. the preson who looses the head to head, if their were to first place winners should come second and everyone else moved down.

If this didn't make any sence to u, i'm saying if votes were to turn out like this.

Entry 1 - 8 votes
    Entry 2 - 8 votes
    Entry 3 - 7 votes
    Entry 4 - 4 votes

Now say entry 2 lost the head to head, the positions should end up.

#1 Entry one
    #2 Entry 2
    #3 entry 3
    #4 entry 4

and entry 4 shouldn't get a prize.

I think that is a much fairer system.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Fully agreed. If I make something am I allowed to post it on other boards and such (not LPA) to get feedback and suggestions first?

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

So I'm actually going to enter this one. :)

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Game over me.

Louis

It seems like it, but it's not. If such a thing happened, entry one and entry two are tied, entry 3 gets second fairly, and entry 4 gets third fairly. It would seem mean to bump someone off after they did recieve their top 3 position. But, as I explained in my first post, I'm trying to make it more interesting so that maybe ties don't happen.

I might consider doing what you said, but we'll see.

No, scrap that. What will happen is that if such a situation happens, the person who was originally third will just get a smaller prize because they were originally top 3.

Glad to hear you are entering, Will.

And esaul17, don't be so pessimistic. You might do well. Just put effort into it. I'm giving you more than two weeks to write and submit your entry.

D_A_V_I_D

D_A_V_I_D Pure Pwnage

I still think to save you money, it is fairer my way. It may seem unfair that entry 4 would get bumped down but there where still 3 poets better than him/her.

Anyway, do what you want. It's your competition. :closedeye

Louis

David, no offense to you, but you're honestly making me feel guilty about how this competition is going. Your way is a fair way, but I just don't want it to go that way. And that doesn't make my rules unfair because they're pretty much similar to your judgement.

So, like your example situation, if 1st place is tied, then the loser of the head to head will become 2nd, original 2nd will be 3rd, original 3rd will be fourth, but will still recieve a smaller prize because he was originally in the top 3.

That's being quite fair, in my opinion.

Linja

Linja Good. Be magnanimous. Über Member

Yay, a new competition. Whatever way you decide is fine with me. I've just finished my poem for this, it's not the best, but what the hell. Good luck to everyone, may the best lyricist win.

Louis

Glad you're participating, Mali.

EDIT: Remember, you're sending your lyrics and vote to [email protected].

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
    D_A_V_I_D

D_A_V_I_D Pure Pwnage

I don't want to make you feel guilty, lol. I'm just saying, it could almost turn out the way the last one did which is what you were trying to avoid.

What happens if 3 people draw first 2 people draw second and 4 people draw third.
    But if your willing to fork out the cash. I've got no problem ^_^

You doing a great job.

tremulant

tremulant Well-Known Member

ummm ok.. im gonna enter but this is my first time so i got some questions..

The main one is what are the specifications of the actual pieces themselves?
    Do they have to be lyrics to a song or can they be an actual poem with stanzas, metaphors and all that poetry mumbo jumbo?

Coz i dont write lyrics.. im an old fashoined poet

Also is there a theme to the lyrics/poems we have to write or can we go with whatever we want? Do they have to be about an emotion or can they tell a story?

heheh i know im asking much but i dont wanna start writting to end up knowing that my work cant enter :p

Also.. do we have to get the prizes? Coz if i win anything (which is most unlikely) can i just give my prize to someone else?

Louis

David: I don't want to even go there with your requested situation. I doubt it will, though. If it does, I'll kill myself.

Tremulant:

1. It can be lyrics, and it can be poetry. I don't want stories because they can tend to be very long sometimes.

2. There is no specified theme. Go for whatever you want.

3. You don't have to accept your prize. But if such a situation was to happen, I wouldn't allow you to give your rewarded iTunes money to somebody else. Because that money is mine and it's directed to the certain winner. So, if you are to give your prize away, it will have to be the album(s) or songs (depending if you are 1st, 2nd, or 3rd) you win.

I hope I have answered your questions!

D_A_V_I_D

D_A_V_I_D Pure Pwnage

You can write "old fashion", there is no restriction to the form of the poem/lyrics.

The poem can also be about anything, no specific topic.

Prizes you'll have to talk to girios

Edit: lol, i'm too slow, just read the above post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.