NHL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Mark, Jul 13, 2005.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Legace will probably be traded. He makes far too much for a backup goalie (in today's CBA), and Detroit has a good wealth of minor league goalies. I liked Legace, but we need to make cap room.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

Yeah that's true.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Chances are Leafs won't be trading for Zetterberg:
    Not really surprised. It was a horrible rumor to begin with... why? Because the basic rumor was that they'd trade for Zetterberg, who's asking for $2.5 million, which the Leafs can't afford to pay if they want to sign anyone.

And then there were rumors that they signed him to an offer sheet that the Red Wings wouldn't be able to match because it'd put them over payroll -- when the Wings still have $11 million or so left and the Leafs have less.

Edit: More...

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Yes, they can. Is it advisable? Not really. With the Allison signing, the Leafs have a good $9 million left to spend. I'll post something I posted over on the Leafs forums.

Leafs Current Salary Structure for 2005/06:

Signed
    Sundin: $6,840,000
    Belfour: $4,560,000
    McCabe: $3,458,000
    Kaberle: $2,280,000
    Klee: $1,900,000
    Tucker: $1,596,000
    Stajan: $805,600
    O'Neill: $1,500,000
    Allison: $1,500,000
    Domi: $1,250,000

Qualifying Offers
    Berg: $1,064,000
    Antropov: $1,007,000
    Belak: $798,000
    Kilger: $668,000
    Pilar: $450,000
    Perrott: $450,000

Total: $30,126,600

That's $30.1M for 16 players, giving us $9.4M (realistically around $7.5M with some space for trade deadline) to sign 7 players.

Colaiacovo, Ponikarovsky, and Wellwood will get $500,000 contracts, leaving us $6M of the (imaginary) $7.5M left for 4 players. Lindros for around $750,000 (plus performance bonuses, like Allison, that don't count against our cap until next season), and hypothetically we have $5.25M left for 3 players. $2M for a defenceman (slim pickings now), $2M-$2.5M for a Left Winger for Mats, and $0.5M-$1M for a second or third liner. Total cap would be around $37.5M.

Our lineup could look like;

Whitney Sundin O'Neill
    Tucker Lindros Allison
    Poni Wellwood Antropov
    Domi Stajan Perrott

Spares: Belak, Kilger, Ling/Wilm

McCabe Klee
    Kaberle Hamrlik/Biron (?)
    Colaiacovo Pilar

Spares: Berg, Belak (Can play both positions)

Belfour Tellqvist

Not bad. Not great, but not bad.

Testament

Testament \m/ LPA Super Member

@Mark-YEAH! Crosby with Deuce Bigalow and Leno was motherfucking hilarious. Especially with all the "dryer" remarks. :lol:

Haha, let's see how Tellqvist will do, starting in 50 games this year. :whistle:

Yes, I'm a big fan of Belfour, as he's a fellow Manitoban....but dude, just hang it up before you really get hurt. I wonder why they didn't conserve money and go after Khabibulin. He'd look pretty good in a leafs uniform. Damn better then he would in a Hawks uniform.

And it won't help the leafs as 70% of their fans are assholes.

I just might find myself cheering for the Hawks this year. :whistle: THe Cam Barker factor. ;)

Ant

Ant Ambient

Yes, they can. Is it advisable? Not really. With the Allison signing, the Leafs have a good $9 million left to spend. I'll post something I posted over on the Leafs forums.

Leafs Current Salary Structure for 2005/06:

Signed
    Sundin: $6,840,000
    Belfour: $4,560,000
    McCabe: $3,458,000
    Kaberle: $2,280,000
    Klee: $1,900,000
    Tucker: $1,596,000
    Stajan: $805,600
    O'Neill: $1,500,000
    Allison: $1,500,000
    Domi: $1,250,000

Qualifying Offers
    Berg: $1,064,000
    Antropov: $1,007,000
    Belak: $798,000
    Kilger: $668,000
    Pilar: $450,000
    Perrott: $450,000

Total: $30,126,600

That's $30.1M for 16 players, giving us $9.4M (realistically around $7.5M with some space for trade deadline) to sign 7 players.

Colaiacovo, Ponikarovsky, and Wellwood will get $500,000 contracts, leaving us $6M of the (imaginary) $7.5M left for 4 players. Lindros for around $750,000 (plus performance bonuses, like Allison, that don't count against our cap until next season), and hypothetically we have $5.25M left for 3 players. $2M for a defenceman (slim pickings now), $2M-$2.5M for a Left Winger for Mats, and $0.5M-$1M for a second or third liner. Total cap would be around $37.5M.

Our lineup could look like;

Whitney Sundin O'Neill
    Tucker Lindros Allison
    Poni Wellwood Antropov
    Domi Stajan Perrott

Spares: Belak, Kilger, Ling/Wilm

McCabe Klee
    Kaberle Hamrlik/Biron (?)
    Colaiacovo Pilar

Spares: Berg, Belak (Can play both positions)

Belfour Tellqvist

Not bad. Not great, but not bad. [/b][/quote]
    I don't think you understood what I meant, Mark.

The Red Wings have more payroll room left than the Leafs do. It is impossible for the Leafs to sign Zetterberg to an offer that the Red Wings cannot match. And, even if they do sign him to that offer, they're only screwing themselves over in that they'll have to sign even more AHL-calibur players. Not to mention the Red Wings have the right to match any offer made to Zetterberg because he's an RFA.

If the Leafs sign Zetterberg to a deal over $5 million, which is probably the only way they'd get him, they'd owe the Red Wings 4 first-round draft picks in the future as compensation. Don't count on it.

And, I know you were referring to the $2.5 million that the Leafs "can't afford to sign." I meant they can't afford to sign him at that if they want to be in good shape for the seasons to come. And if they only offer him $2.5 million the Red Wings will obviously match.

Mark

I see.

Although I think the Leafs would stop pursuing him after $2M.

Couldn't the Leafs just trade for him and sign him under their own terms? They did that with O'Neill. Unlikely, but plausible.

I can see the Leafs singing UFAs Whitney and Lindros, though.

Ant

Ant Ambient

It's possible, but I don't think Holland will trade Zatta unless he starts asking for an insane amount of money (ie. $3.5 mil or more). Right now he's asking for 2.5, but I think they want to try and talk him into 2 right now.

I'm 80% sure Lindros will go to Toronto, too, I think that's right. Whitney could go anywhere.

Mark

Yes, it's just a matter of whether the Leafs want to sign him because he said he'd play for them for peanuts. That's an actual quote he gave.

Whitney's on the Canes, damn. He would've been a great fit.

Palffy on Pittsburgh!?!?! Damn, they're going to be great! What a turnaround for the Pens.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Pens are going to have an amazing offense... defense and goalie is still a bit sketchy. They'll at least make the playoffs, though, and they should get a round or two deeper.

Ryan

Ryan You Greasy Bastard LPA Super VIP

Yes, it's just a matter of whether the Leafs want to sign him because he said he'd play for them for peanuts. That's an actual quote he gave.

Whitney's on the Canes, damn. He would've been a great fit.

Palffy on Pittsburgh!?!?! Damn, they're going to be great! What a turnaround for the Pens. [/b][/quote]
    Mark your just all about the pens hey. I tihnk that Crosby will be a decent player in his first season but I think he will only be good enough to put up like Third liner numbers when they will be playing him on the top line the whole seaosn. I think it will be a battle between him and Ovechkin for the calder. The Pens have some good players but as long as they stand on their head they wont make it anywhere. Alot of their good players are really young, Crosby and Fleury. Lemieux and Palffy are getting older and I would say Palffy is past his prime. As well Lemieux will have to stay healthy, that will be his biggest battle this season. Plus their defence, they dont have an overly great core, but the addition of Gonchar will help add offence from the point. But I guess we wil have to wait and see. Anything is possible as new stars and heros come about every season and some superstars find slumps.

Mark

Mark your just all about the pens hey. I tihnk that Crosby will be a decent player in his first season but I think he will only be good enough to put up like Third liner numbers when they will be playing him on the top line the whole seaosn. I think it will be a battle between him and Ovechkin for the calder. The Pens have some good players but as long as they stand on their head they wont make it anywhere. Alot of their good players are really young, Crosby and Fleury. Lemieux and Palffy are getting older and I would say Palffy is past his prime. As well Lemieux will have to stay healthy, that will be his biggest battle this season. Plus their defence, they dont have an overly great core, but the addition of Gonchar will help add offence from the point. But I guess we wil have to wait and see. Anything is possible as new stars and heros come about every season and some superstars find slumps. [/b][/quote]
    Crosby, Malkin, Pallfy, Lemieux, Recchi, Gonchar, Fleury. They're better than last year, that's for sure. :lol:

In order for Crosby to compete for the Calder, he'd have to get 50-60 points. Those are hardly third-liner numbers.

Testament

Offence is nice, they got Ric Jackman, Sergei Gonchar and Dick Tarnstrom on defence(I think) and Fleury in net. Fleury and Crosby's production is key to where they go this year.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Mark

Leafs got Lindros. If he stays healthy, he'll be a threat.

If we get Anson Carter like we're supposed to, we'll have a top six forward line-up of;

Lindros Sundin O'Neill
    Carter Allison Tucker

I think that's pretty good.

Testament

Anson Carter kind of just fell apart sine 2003. :lol:

Ant

Ant Ambient

Anson Carter kind of just fell apart sine 2003. :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Have to agree, personally. I hope he has a better year with the Leafs, though.

Mark

Have to agree, personally. I hope he has a better year with the Leafs, though. [/b][/quote]
    Well, it's kind of hard when you're playing for 3 different teams during the season. :lol:

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Word up, players.

20. Testament

Have to agree, personally. I hope he has a better year with the Leafs, though. [/b][/quote]
    Leafs? I think you confused them with Vancouver.