Notebook Choices

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Holiday, Jan 1, 2006.

Holiday

Holiday Married and on a life-long adventure! LPA Super VIP

HP zd800

Dell Inspiron 9300

Dell XPS M140

I would really appriciate some help in deciding between these notebooks. I'm going to be using mine for browsing, papers, research, music, and CD burning, basically. I'm leaning towards the Inspiron 9300. I'd really like some input on what you guys think. ^_^

Mitch

Mitch YTB

Yeah, i think u should go for inspiron 300. It can do what u want it to do and its got an alright powered processor, i'd say the inspriron^_^

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

...please don't tell me that Dell and HP are your only choice of companies? >_<

My biased response would be the HP, as Dell has horrible customer support.

From a technical point of view, the HP gives you some great options, and the 2 Dell processors are the same, but I'd say the Inspiron 9300 is better than the XPS.

So either the HP or Inspiron. I'd say HP.

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

I have an HP Desktop, and haven't had problems with it at all. I know a lot of people who have Dells and don't like them. But that's all based on desktops, who knows about notebooks. Good luck on finding one.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Apple iBook

palingenesis

palingenesis Well-Known Member

i would say no to dells period because of it's terrible customer support (i know from experience) and the enormous amount of bloatware they pack their systems with. if you really want the hp, go for it. also, apple notebooks maybe be a bit pricer depending on what you choose but definetly are worth the investment.

Tomi

Tomi &nbsp; LPA Addict

...if her options are HP or Dell, there's no way she's getting a iBook, eh? But yeah, the iBook would be my choice, or PowerBook

Todd

The choices of HP and Dell both suck. I've dealt with both. The amount of bloat and useless crap they pre-install is disgusting, it took me several hours to remove all of that junk. I'm just throwing another option out there.

Canadian Joe

Canadian Joe Bacon strips LPA Super VIP

Thank you thank you thank you thank you THANK YOU!!!

I think I've posted this before, but just to reiterate: Dell sucks.

I have had Dell reps transfer people back to my tech support line (high speed internet) because they can't load Windows. "Is this Dell?" "No, it's not" "Then why am I speaking to you?" "Because Dell sucks."

Ahhhhh I hate Dell! Not to mention that most problems that I flat out OEM a customer for (umm....dude, you're calling Dell! ...and the like) are from a Dell machine...things like bad NIC card right outta the box, etc, and spyware, spyware spyware! If you're good, it's possible to make a Dell a real decent machine, but I'd have to show you sorta how to do that...basically, if you can get your hands on a set of XP disks, once you get the computer, reformat it right away and start again (that's what I did with this Gateway desktop). It'll run a lot better.

Whoo. Ok, I'm done.

[/rant]

(By the way, did I mention that Dell sucks?)

Tomi

Tomi &nbsp; LPA Addict

As soon as you get a Dell, just fully reformat it and stick in a XP Pro disc in there. That's what I did with my laptop, and it's quite decent. :)

2 nights ago my laptop was acting really really slow, you should have seen me bitching. I want a fucking PowerBook already. :lol:

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

Maybe the pre-installed software is crap, but you can always reformat the disk...
    I didn't reformat my disk with the emachine, but I got most of it out, at least what I didn't need.

Back on topic: I'd choose the HP model. The dell models look similar to the specifications of my old dell, which ran quite slow. Even the minimum processing options HP gave you look quite decent. Even though it would be a bigger price, I think it would pay off for the better specs and bigger screen.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Dell's notebooks are horrible.

My friend and his little sister each got an Inspiron 1200 for Christmas and both of them don't work after one week and they haven't done shit with them.

Todd

My sister got a 1200 in August. Its pretty slow (better now since she upped the RAM to 768 megs last week), and is thicker and heavier than my 3 year old iBook.

Holiday

ok, haha, I see no one really likes Dells (but you know, I don't think i've ever called customer service. :blink: ). This is why I ask. :p

Ok, I'm relly looking for something in the $1,000 range that is fast, has a good processer and a bunch of space. I aslo really like the idea of a 17" screen, but I don't really need that.

Since none of you like Dells, which are the only thing I personally have experience with, I really need some advice.

I know a lot of you like Apples, but I don't know anything about them and what I get would have to use Microsoft Word as the main thing, becuase I'm going to be writing a LOT on this and it has to be compatible with my school computers which are all Dell with Microsoft XP.

I was looking at ibooks, but didn't know where to start, they seemed too much money, and compatibility is an issue.

So, please, if not the Dell or even the HP, than what? (Details?)

Tomi

Tomi &nbsp; LPA Addict

OS X has MS Word. :)

If you're considering to buy a iBook, talk to Todd, he knows what he's talking about, hah. :lol:

Holiday

It's called Tiger... =o
    <3

haha, that is one high-tech thing!

Edit: I was looking at the PowerBook....wow....I really wish that wasn't out of my price range. *sigh*

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
    Tomi

Tomi &nbsp; LPA Addict

Yeah, Apple strangely names their operating systems after animals. =\

I've been wanting a PowerBook for ages, I wish they wen't so expensive, but hey, it's worth it. Todd's a lucky bastard. >_<

Glenn

I hope cheetah is coming up next...

Todd

Cheetah was the very first release of OSX. Leopard is up next.

Glenn

Wow. I never knew they had already released Cheetah. I suppose that contradicts the fact that it's very fast, but I guess what are you going to do when computers are always upgrading and a model can't be the fastest.