OFWGKTA/Swag Music Thread

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Jordan, Feb 19, 2011.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

god tyler is a beast at making beats. lots of good ones on this album. leftbrain's transylvania is swag as fuck

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Love the beats, but the lyrics have been done before so nothing new there.

I'm also going to go ahead and say that I agree with another poster about this sounding like horrorcore.

They can say they're not all they want, but the description fits.

Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

all i gotta say is...

TINA, PERM YO FUCKIN WEAVE!

$pvcxGhxztCasey

Tyler & Earl might, but you can't really call the group as a whole horrorcore when you have a group like Jet Age of Tomorrow (FANTASTIC stuff, by the way), Frank Ocean, Hodgy to an extent... and Jasper/Taco are just pure fucking swag. :p

People said early Eminem was horrorcore too, and I think Tyler & Earl are more comparable to stuff off the Slim Shady LP and maybe the Marshall Mathers LP instead of early Three 6 Mafia or something (which isn't a bad thing, mind you).

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Eminem was never horrorcore.

Not sure why people would even think that.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

While not outright horrorcore (he obviously wasn't doing full albums of the stuff), you can't deny the influence.

"Horrorcore defines a style of hip hop music that focuses primarily around horror-influenced topics that can include demons, self-harm, cannibalism, suicide, murder, and Satanism. "

I don't think OF is Horrorcore, but they have horrorcore elements. But for someone to describe them by saying "They're horrorcore" would be gravely dismissing a great majority of their songs. I agree with what Casey said.

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Oh yeah well there was definitely an influence there.

Then again the midwest is kind of a hot bed for that type of music.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

Yeah, that's how I feel about people saying OFWGKTA is horrorcore :)

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I really like it. It's actually better than I expected. Transylvania gives me mangasms.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Obviously a lot of Tyler/Earl's music is horrorcore, Tyler has explained that a lot of his lyrics are from the point of view of real rapists, serial killers etc. Which basically defines most horrorcore. However, Tyler and fans hate the label because if you actually listen to the lyrics, they're a lot more personal/emotional/relateable than horrorcore typically is - Tyler compares his horror-themed lyrics to his own life and ideals rather than writing a horror narrative.

Then there's countless songs that go nowhere near horrorcore, for example: Luper, Parade, Odd Toddlers, Slow It Down, She, Her, Analog + way more but those are the most obvious.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

okay the countdown discussion/theories for the fucktyler.com site and countdown have reached NIN fan levels. A twitter account thought to be linked to the site in a roundabout way has binary code, and it translates into "he will return".

I'm starting to expect Earl but I really don't want to give into that thought, because I know it won't be :(

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

It's intense, discussion on OFT is at 57 pages. I haven't really been keeping up though, how long has it looked like it does now?

$pvcxGhxztCasey

the censored out copyright image? a few days, apparently. it's just an image on the website though, normally when things like that happen you can't right click and save it, I don't think. All of this reminds me of Year Zero, just with the apocalyptic stuff, y'know. :p

They've found little samples of songs on the site, too. Arcade Fire, 50 Cent, etc. all slowed down and reversed or something. I guess that's where the theory of a Radical-like mixtape comes from, and somehow there have been clues on that twitter to other OFWGKTA members.

I think the Twitter is an account of Clancy's, though. So who knows at this point. lol

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Yeah I found the first slowed down/detuned 50 cent song in the source the first time I saw it, haven't kept up much since then. Is there still a countdown anywhere? I like how even though Goblin just came out, it's already feasible that OF could start an ARG. The Binary code seems to be a clear head nod to Year Zero haha. Apparently Tyler or Hodgy or someone said that OF wouldn't do another group mixtape until Earl came back, soooooo not sure it could be that.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

http://pitchfork.com/news/42532-earl-sweatshirt-speaks-out/

I don't know if Earl will ever come back, just read the New Yorker article. Unless his moms really did alter his reply, it sounds like Tyler and crew was just a huge bad influence on the kid and changed his attitude and style to fit their motif.

Which I'm okay with. Kill people burn shit fuck school

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Read the New Yorker article yesterday - I think something is pretty out here, need to hear Tyler's response to this pretty quickly. It still says "Fuck Earl Mom" on their website :/

$pvcxGhxztCasey

I think Tyler might purposely ignore the article. Kind of destroys the entire Free Earl movement if it's true. Maybe Tyler and the gang knew all of this to begin with (Earl willingly going to Samoa) and chose to make it out to be something else. They got that CREAM swag :p

It's really interesting, though. Seems like every week or two something is happening in the world of OFWGKTA. Tyler being arrested, riots, Tyler getting robbed, articles in well respected newspapers... Either XL and Clancyboy are excellent at marketing this brand, or Tyler is just a big void of negative energy so all of this shit happens to him, haha.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

After Complex found him I thought they'd pretty much stopped the Free Earl movement anyway. If OF were using it as a marketing scheme, why would they let Earl ruin it like this? I don't think they talk to each other as much as the article makes out.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

That's why I think maybe Earl left for Samoa on (mostly) his free will. Kind of fucked up for the gang to still promote the Free Earl meme if they knew this all along, and make money off of it. I'm thinking his moms smartened up to that too, probably, thus why no OF merch can have his face on it, no songs on any albums, etc. But it's still there, they just put up a new Earl....sweatshirt. :p

anyway, Hodgy Beats & Left Brain beat the shit out of a 16-17 yr old kid in Detroit. Some say he was throwing glass bottles and it hurt Syd, others say it wasn't him throwing it. Either way, bottles were thrown, Syd left, Hodgy and LB beat the crap out of a kid (and the audience helped), so he was the sacrificial lamb if it wasn't really him. Who cares. Swag it out, boys.

like i said... lots of crazy shit happening. ofwgktamania!

20. Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Yeah that wasn't so swag - all this shit's making OF look pretty bad. From what I've heard, he didn't get a direct hit, but he kept throwing bottles even after they asked him to stop and told him they would beat him up. So I suppose he kind of had it coming in the end, if it was him.

edit:

[youtube]yDEyBBiqJ58[/youtube]
    There you go, Syd did get hit.

Last edited: May 17, 2011