OFWGKTA/Swag Music Thread

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Jordan, Feb 19, 2011.

1. $pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

she said on fb that she's okay and she was lucky she was wearing pants.

i like it when "Syd Bennett liked your wall post" pops up in my news feed.

2. Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

So, I listened to Goblin and I kind of have a love/hate relationship with it. I'm not going to claim to be a music genius with great insight but I will admit Goblin was great enough for me to analyze what the hell I'd just listened to. :lol:

The whole lyrical content thing is definitely not as bad as I thought it'd be. I understand now why the group and its fans don't like their stuff to be categorized as "horrorcore" because the context is different. It reminds me of early Eminem (I mean that in the best way possible). With that said though, some of the lyrics are still absolutely absurd and I think ruin the album in the long run.

Goblin sounds like the diary writings of a psychopath and I really dug that as a narrative, which I'm hoping wasn't just a crutch. It puts a lot of the lyrical content into context and personally, feels like a redeeming factor. The biggest issue I have with Goblin is the production. I dig this is an independent release so it won't be as polished, but the album just seems to drone on for way too long to the point where the absurdity just becomes silly. It feels more like padding and add the fact most of the songs have no real structure, it got annoying. The best way I can describe it is majority of Goblin feels like a collection of run-on sentences. The lack of punctuation and breaks turn something that could be coherent into a muddy jumble of words. Since those muddy jumbles consist of rape, violence, etc... it just comes off really silly. Granted the album isn't supposed to be taken seriously, but again, as a (theoretical) narrative Goblin is interesting, but because it's so drawn out, it becomes a weakness. It sometimes feels like Odd Future are trying too hard to be the rebellious outsiders people see them as.

Overall though I'm glad I gave Goblin a try. It probably won't make its way into my music playlists anytime soon but I'm still glad to have given it a shot. My favorite track was definitely "She". It exhibits a lot of promise and shows a nice change of pace from the rest of the album, especially with the hook from Frank Ocean. I honestly wish there were more tracks featuring Frank Ocean on Goblin. He's a nice dynamic to Tyler's vocals.

Anyway I probably spent way too much time analyzing my feelings on this album, more than Odd Future probably expects. :p The group is definitely deserving of the praise they're given. If they can just tighten up future releases and filter out the unnecessary padding, I think it would help a lot. I'm intrigued by the group and I hope with time they'll grow to be more than just controversy, but for now, Goblin was a nice momentary change of pace.

3. $pvcxGhxztCasey

I don't think you'll ever hear an OF release sound slick and polished, they've made it clear that they'll always do everything in-house, by themselves, at the same studio they've used since the very first mixtape (Syd's studio at her parents house). The label only pays for the promotion of the album(s) and whatnot. It's very much a DYI type thing, I think that's a big appeal to most people.

That's awesome that you actually listened to it, though, and you seemingly "get it". In a lot of ways, it's a sequel to BASTARD. The whole storyline is it's a therapy session with Tyler and Dr. TC that spans 3 albums (BASTARD, GOBLIN, WOLF). If you didn't like some of the more risque lines, you probably wouldn't like WOLF, since it's supposed to feature Wolf Haley (Tyler's Slim Shady-like alter ego). You might like BASTARD more, actually, since this album is like x10 darker than the first album. But, who knows. I doubt you'd want to dredge through the first if you thought this one was long :p

The day GOBLIN was released, someone said on Twitter, "did i just hear the first emo rap album?" which I think is a better description of the music Tyler makes, solo anyway. If you like Frank Ocean, check out his album. He's definitely one of the more accessible artists in the group. I still think Earl Sweatshirt is the best of the bunch, but his shit is really violent and rape-y too. But some songs are like Tyler's, a little emotional (Luper).

swag it out Keaton, swag it out! I think my favorite tracks, a week later, are definitely Analog first and foremost, then Tron Cat, Radicals, Bitch Suck Dick, Window and Transylvania (the beat alone is a monster). She/Her are fucking awesome too.

EDIT: Oh yeah....DEBUTED AT #5 BITCH! 50K!!!

4. BlackedOut

BlackedOut Zero

Goblin ads are all over the internet... Surprising since Tyler is barely even mainstream.

5. $pvcxGhxztCasey

Not that anyone cares but I'm freaking out because Earl Sweatshirt has returned.

6. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Jesus lol. He was gone that long? Pretty fucking funny.

7. Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Trust me, me too man. Can't wait to hear this dude get back to rapping, fuck.

8. $pvcxGhxztCasey

OF's rep can say whatever the fuck they want, I think this is legit. Tyler's never pulled an Earl joke on his Twitter account. Formspring? All the time, on the other hand. Plus, isn't Sage like super serious? Then again, I think it was Matt from the Super 3 that called bullshit on it all and said people will believe anything.

9. Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

I don't really know what I think. I don't want to believe Tyler would pull such a dumb stunt involving Earl - kinda disrespectful and out of character.

10. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

the fact that I had a dream this morning about Earl coming back is freaky. I'm not even really a fan.