online dating

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by rosanna, Dec 18, 2005.

rosanna

rosanna Well-Known Member

do you find it ethical? do you think it should be allowed? do you participate? do you worry about people lying about themselves?

anything else...add it in.

i started one, but i don't think i am going to continue. anyone else?

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Rarely works.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I would never do it, but I've got nothing against it. If people want to use the interent to find dates, who am I to stop them?

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

It works. Well, I dont do it, but one of my friends did it and she's happy :)

rosanna

yeah but i don't think they work as well as people say. or if they do, then there is an equal amount of relationships that don't work.

and i would also be worried about people making stuff up to get to someone, like a serial rapist or something. or even to make themselves look better. there is too much room to lie. even though it's a good idea, people always want to look better.

Messy Marj

Messy Marj LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Depends on the person.
    If they both really want to, it works.

But there are always persons who can't wait for so long and sneak with someone else behind their lovers back.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

Probably no different from normal dating services..

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

My friend sees her boyfriend in the weekends :lol: As long as you see each other in real life, I wont laugh at you.

rosanna

i don't know, i have one on yahoo and my friend just informed me that he did too, idk it's like a thing we do around here even if we have someone in real life. just to see how it is i guess.

i wouldn't mind finding someone on the internet but they better not be lying about themselves or i wold cut that out quick.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

You know what amuses me? Those online couples that live halfway across the continent from each other, then one of them moves to live with the other, then eventually they breakup. Then the one who moved is fucked. :lol:

I don't have much of an opinion of online dating. It should be allowed, legal, whatever. And if you're going to lie about yourself, then you shouldn't bother.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I met my girlfriend on MySpace. Granted she goes to my school, lives in my town and lives 5 minutes away from me, but if it wasn't for MySpace/Internet, I wouldn't have ever talked to her probably.

I've also had an internet girlfriend. She used to post here. If you've been here awhile, you probably know who I'm talking to. It obviously didn't work out, and we don't talk much anymore.

rosanna

the internet is so much different than in person. i talk to my friends online and on the phone and i find it hard to believe they are the same people. seriously.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

*snickers* I surprise a lot of people that know me in real life when I talk to them online. It's quite amusing. :lol:

rosanna

or you have internet arguments with someone and it's like it never happened in real life...or vice versa.

isn't that insane?

i don't think i would be able to trust an online person in person (did that make sense?) cuz personalities really come through on the internet. therefore the person that you are trying to get with on the internet is not the person that you are going to meet. make sense...?...cuz i know what i am trying to say, but i don't know if i'm saying it right.

tremulant

tremulant Well-Known Member

well i met my fiancee over the net... it wasnt delibertate... i didnt really care or understood online romance..

we just found eachother and started talking.. and started talking more.. soon enough we became best friends and slowly knew everything about eachother.. After talking everyday for 6 months we decided we wanted to be together and we stayed loyal to eachother for a year until she gave up her life there to fly down here and we've been living together happily since :)

It works :) .. you just need to find the right person and know that you can really trust that person.. you cant just keep it over the computer too.. you have to talk over the phone, send letters, photos.. that kinda stuff... if you reduce the relationship to just lines of text or the random email then its not going to go very far.. Also you have to be committed.. it cant just be something for fun, if you dont take it seriously its going to end in heartache and if you fall victim to the shit people throw at you for having an online gf/bf then its also not going to work

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

There are special cases, but for every 1 person who's successful at online dating, there's thousands more failing. It's like a lottery, you have a chance at succeeding, but the odds aren't exactly in your favour.

Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

Eh, I've done it quite a few times. It never really works, unless you try hard enough at it. It's very hard though because you're not able to stay together for very long, one or the other soon decides that they find someone else who lives in their town and is much closer.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I think it's cool so long as you really try to find someone perfect for you. And so long as you're not lying and the person you're meeting isn't lying. And so long as you don't really care about looks too much (let's face it -- not everyone who uses online dating services are the best looking). I've done it a couple of times and both times it didn't work out. But that's because I was stupid about it. And they were hundreds of miles away. :lol:

rosanna

yeah, what will said.

not that i am incredibly desperate or anything, but i think it might be a good idea cuz people online don't know about all the drama surrounding me in elkton, md. (oh shit did i just say that...?...don't stalk me)

Intergalactic Christ

Intergalactic Christ Blood On Ice LPA VIP

Meh, it's hard enough having friendships with someone on the other side of the world, a relationship would probably kill me.