"Rap Isn't Real Music"

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Justin V., Mar 18, 2004.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

Now I'm black and this is one topic that really hurts when people say it (since rap/hip-hop is a black dominated genre of music). If you don't like rap, fine. Say "RAP SUCKS!" "It's CRAP!". But please... please, don't say "Rap isn't music." "Rappers aren't musicians." That really hurts. It's like something that a race built STILL isn't accepted by some people as genuine art. Now I'm a rapper and a songwriter. Writing a song for me is easy, pulling it off is hard. But writing a rap is WAY harder. Pulling it off in the studio is easy for me. Anyone heard of the Roots? They're musicians. And rappers. In a topic about Dedicated one fan said "You aren't missing much." Now I think it's an amazing song. One of LP's best. But people say it's "Too much rap." I thought the point/mindest of a LP fan was to be open minded. That they liked LP because they liked rock AND rap. So if it was all Chester, they'd love it. All Mike? They'd still love it. So what do you guys/gals think about the whole "Rap isn't real music." argument? I just had to get it off my chest. Because rapping definitely isn't easy...

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Rap is music. But when all these mainstream rappers sart rapping about their bling, hoes, weed and 24 inch spinners on an escalade and then make up words, then no, that's not music.

Mcnasty

Mcnasty Y2K

Yes it is music and all worlds are made up :mellow:
    [EDIT] I hate these topics I seriously think an Admin should close this because this whole thread is going to turn into one big argument even if were allowed to voice are opinions and fight nicely I still think this thread will blow up. I dont think the members in the LPA will be able to talk seriously on this topic.

J-Flex

J-Flex Ambient

i am more a hip hop/rap fan of LP than the rock side
    but i like both and i respect other people's opinion

LPNeSSRGB

LPNeSSRGB Super Member LPA Super Member

My view exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself.

J-Flex

J-Flex Ambient

My view exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself. [/b][/quote]
    i dont have any problem when they talk about bling bling and hoes..
    i mean thats their style like coolio raps about peace and other things and snoop dogg about shizzling etc.
    like rock has own style for example LP's lyrics about emotions and LB about dont givin a #### etc..

Mcnasty

Mcnasty Y2K

I would like to see you guys argue about this on a all Hip-Hop site instead of it being on a Rock site :mellow: you all know most of the people here are going to say rap is crap and that its not music, pity on you people who don’t appreciate the art work of other who make millions of dollars.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

My post is going to offend a lot of people probably but I can not stand the lack of talent or rappers who use real words in their songs on the radio right now. It's sickening..so cover your eyes:

Mainstream Rap is a joke. If I want to hear some idiot go "YEEAAUUHHH!!" "OOKKAAYYY!!" "SKEE SKEE" "WHAT! WHAT!" "FROM DUH WINNDOWWW TO DUH WAAHHL!!" throughout an entire song, I'll make sure I'm deaf beforehand. I don't want to hear about hoes, I don't want to hear about 24 Inch Rims and Escalades, I sure as hell don't want to hear about how much money they have and I don't want to hear technically racist words dropped over 10 times in a single line.

You wan't real hip-hop? Listen to Jurassic 5, and Hydroponikz. Even Dilated Peoples sold out by rapping aside Kanye West, they should have kept it real and stayed on the streets.

I have yet to hear ONE mainstream rapper I enjoy with the exception of Ludacris.

ass_kicker

ass_kicker Banned

i think i agree with you in a way.
    im into lp's rock side. im into rock/punk music, stuff like this. i dont give s*it about rap... i mean they could all die for all i care. still, i respect other people's tastes. and i think it is music. well i just say its rap. i wouldnt call it music... i dunno its rap. its a different thing. it has its own category. just hip hop. yeah thats my point.
    but i dont like it myself. if you like rap, then good for you. its not my kind of thing. peace.

Derek

i think i agree with you in a way.
    im into lp's rock side. im into rock/punk music, stuff like this. i dont give s*it about rap... i mean they could all die for all i care. still, i respect other people's tastes. and i think it is music. well i just say its rap. i wouldnt call it music... i dunno its rap. its a different thing. it has its own category. just hip hop. yeah thats my point.
    but i dont like it myself. if you like rap, then good for you. its not my kind of thing. peace. [/b][/quote]
    The thing is that Rap used to be a really respected form of music but then in the past few years its just become horrible, it's lost its credibility. That's why Hip-Hop and Rap are now two different things when they used to be regarded as two words for the same thing. Hip-Hop is that non-commercial #### that is about keeping it real and having a good time on the mic (Jurassic 5), Rap is that annoying crap you hear on the radio today that makes you want to tear your eardrums out.

ass_kicker

ass_kicker Banned

The thing is that Rap used to be a really respected form of music but then in the past few years its just become horrible, it's lost its credibility. That's why Hip-Hop and Rap are now two different things when they used to be regarded as two words for the same thing. Hip-Hop is that non-commercial #### that is about keeping it real and having a good time on the mic (Jurassic 5), Rap is that annoying crap you hear on the radio today that makes you want to tear your eardrums out. [/b][/quote]
    i didnt know theres a difference between rap and hip hop. sorreys.
    so yes, i think i agree with you. as far as i understand. im really slow you know?

Aaron

Aaron Foundation LPA Super Member

The other day, I was pretty much forced to listen to the radio in my car because I didn't have my walkman, or any CD's with me.

Just so happens that a rap song comes on. Yep, you guessed it, it was crap.

Within the first verse I picked out these 'lyrics' : All I awnted to do was have sex, and move onto the next'. That line there is pure proof that mainstream rappers talk about bullshit. It's all a load of crap. Booze, cars, money, sex, and drugs, with your occasional racist term thrown in.

My mom screeching at me is a more pleasent sound then the bullshit they talk about.

-----

It's really hard to insult rap and rappers without saying anything that would get me banned for good. -__-

Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

A kid in my class listens only to that kinda stuff, like Chingy, Usher and that other crap. The only one (IMO) who keeps it kinda real, are 2Pac (RIP) and Eminem. Those are the only ones i can listen to for an hour. I dont like the other #### where they have a yellow Hummer with a flatscreen in the back.. thats just #### :p

Cassie

Cassie The time to hesitate is through.

I think rap has gotten a little ridiculous lately. I can almost always count on hearing the same bass lines or ones closely similar. There's never any ground breaking lyrics in rap and it's getting old fast.

Derek

Yes that's the reason people hate Rap, Rawk-Star. She said it best.

Leslie

Leslie huh? LPA Super Member

I like rap, but some of it gets old because it's almost the same lyrics over and over again. Hip hop on the other hand is different... there is a lot of good stuff out there, you just gotta look. ;)

Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

I don't really mind what hip-hop or rap is really about because I listen to what I like. So if I don't want to listen about sex, hoes, etc then I don't listen to it :)

I like some old school hip-hop for example, the Beastie Boys because it is less about the sex, drugs and money stuff.

I also like 2Pac (RIP), Ludacris and Eminem. Nelly's music is okay...

And also... Rap definitely is music...

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

The rap and hip-hop that you hear on the radio is watered down and it isn't real music. Almost always, it's the same people making the beats, and all of it ends up sounding the same. A good percentage of the songs that are released as singles end up saying the same exact thing at some point, and a lot of times those songs are by the same artist. None of the lyrics are good at all. I can write a better 15-line rhyme in about 30 minutes than half the artists in the mainstream can write in a week. The only reason that rap is so popular is because people can dance to it. That's it. That and the fact that listening to rap in a car with booming speakers makes you cool... for some reason. The only good rap and hip-hop is underground, like Jurassic 5, The Roots, Aceyalone, etc, and a couple mainstream rappers like Eminem and Xzibit.

Derek

I totally agree with that entire post, especially the last part where he names the true artists in rap and hip-hop. I couldn't have said it better myself (really I couldn't, I suck :lol:).

coley8605

coley8605 Guest

Yeah, I agree with Will... And not to shoot Rap down, but the lyrics are usually pretty basic and don't have a whole lot of depth. For me, I need something with more meaning. Good for dancing at clubs and such, yes. I guess the songs pump some people up too, so whatever. Everyone has their own opinion...