"Rap Isn't Real Music"

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Justin V., Mar 18, 2004.

J-Flex

J-Flex Ambient

When is the last time that you heard a mainstream rock song about devils or whatever the hell you just said?

No one ever said -- at least, not me -- that all rap is about "bling-bling" and other crap like that. Mainstream rap, however, is about that for the majority of the time. There are very few mainstream rap songs with an actual emotional meaning.

You saying that rock is all about "devils" or whatever is being just as stereotypical as someone saying all rap is about "bling-bling." It's mainly the underground death metal (which, in fact, isn't Satanic all of the time) that will talk about killing people sometimes.

I listen to a lot of underground metal and whatnot and if anyone can even understand what they're singing to start actually doing what they're singing about shouldn't be allowed to listen to music period.

So, getting back to any kind of point I was trying to make: You are being just as stereotypical as the next person by saying rock is "screaming about devils" and rap is "rapping about 'bling-bling.'"

*shrugs* [/b][/quote]
    i am half agreed with you
    but yeah death metal is a part of rock
    and gangsta rap is a part of hip hop

Cassie

Cassie The time to hesitate is through.

Yes that's the reason people hate Rap, Rawk-Star. She said it best. [/b][/quote]
    woo-hoo, I get congraluted for being opinionated. :D

Adam

Adam !!!! LPA Super Member

I used to like rap when I was about 10 years then people singing abouting pimping and looped drum beats got boring and now i think its boring and all the same.

I dont like rap personally but Im not sayin it aint talentless or aint music
    Because it is

It just aint my style

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

Great post Keaton. I agree with a lot of what you said there.

Ironic, since Linkin Park is a rap-rock band :p

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Anyone can write a rap. I've ghost written for my friends who want to be rappers. Writing a rap song is different. You Need to know song structures, patterns etc. That's one of the main reasons I like 50 Cent. Even in his freestyles on mixtapes, he treats it as if it were a song on his album. He writes a hook to almost all of them. And he got it from two of the best: Jam Master Jay and Dr Dre. [/b][/quote]
    So if you know the structure: intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/chorus you should be able to write music?

I heard fifty cent say on an interview: 'They brought me in and showed me how to do da beats.' To have a sample like that: you need to know the basic song structure plus some experience with synthesizer equipment and have the ability to create a 5-second rhythm with a simple drum beat/bassline under it? Sure thats music, I admit, but are they talented musicians? No, for the most part. (I am talking about mainstream rap)

Take a look at classical/jazz/blues/rock/world musicians. They have been making music since they were kids, they have a genuine love for it. They have their own distinct style, and most of all they are experts at theory. Rudiments, Harmony, counterpoint....its all important to know when you are an elite musician/composer. Rappers have minimal knowledge of theory so thats why their songs are so simple. Also, what instruments do they play? Besides their voice, and thats mainly monotone, they have no talent at any instrument.

Its music, but not very good music! ;)

Tony

Tony war in your bedroom.

exactly...

but really, I will admit I do litsen to Eminem only because his lyrics actully mean something... I mean he dosen't sing about that stupid #### like Snoop Dogg and them do. He sings about his own personal life and stuff unless it's one of his "joke" songs, I can't stand those ones... oh and 2 Pac is good to, I feel the same way about him that I do about Eminem

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

i am half agreed with you
    but yeah death metal is a part of rock
    and gangsta rap is a part of hip hop [/b][/quote]
    I can't believe you're going to completely write off an genre because a certain category deals with that ####. Rock music is about love, emotions, feelings, circumstances, and everything in between. You are very close minded.

J-Flex

J-Flex Ambient

I can't believe you're going to completely write off an genre because a certain category deals with that ####. Rock music is about love, emotions, feelings, circumstances, and everything in between. You are very close minded. [/b][/quote]
    Rap could also be about love, emotions, feelings, circumstances, and everything in between.only not every rapper does that...like not every rock band does that too

LornVourkolakas

LornVourkolakas About To Blow Chunks

Rap doesn't suck.
    Rock doesn't suck.

Some rap songs do suck, in my opinion.
    Some rock songs do suck, in my opinon.

It's all in a matter of whether or not I relate to the music.

Sure, some rap songs talk about hoes and bling bling. Some people could relate to that, therefore, they like it. Nothing wrong with that.

It's not my type of music, but who am I to be a hypocrite and judge someone for the music they like or to bash a certain genre of music?

Sure, some rock songs speak of the devil. Some people do worship the devil. Therefore, they like the music. Nothing wrong with that, either.

I may not prefer music about the devil, but again, who am I to be a hypocrite and judge someone for the music they like or to bash a certain genre of music?

I like both rap and rock.

I mean, if I could relate to a song and it has a nice beat, I'm listening to it. Simple as that.

J-Flex

J-Flex Ambient

totally agreed with LornVourkolakas

Mark

Rap could also be about love, emotions, feelings, circumstances, and everything in between.only not every rapper does that...like not every rock band does that too [/b][/quote]
    Not the mainstream stuff. The only exception there is the Black Eyed Peas lyrically great "Where Is The Love" and a bunch of Eminem songs.

I don't see many rock bands going off into ridiculous topics. Very few.

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

Not anymore, anyway.

/me looks at the 80s

Hot for teech0r :whistle:

Mark

:lol:. Let's call it modern mainstream.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

He got the rockers there lol. "Turning Japanese"? Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto? They had some weird songs no doubt. Now COUNTRY! That's where it's at!

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Yeah, but I think we're for the most part discussing mainstream rap here, where 99% of it is about hoes, bling bling, weed, and no mainstream rap song would be complete without spinners on an escalade

Mcnasty

Mcnasty Y2K

Yeah, but I think we're for the most part discussing mainstream rap here, where 99% of it is about hoes, bling bling, weed, and no mainstream rap song would be complete without spinners on an escalade [/b][/quote]
    WHATS wrong with all that stuff ?

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

WHATS wrong with all that stuff ? [/b][/quote]
    It's pointless #### that people who have to follow trends listen to, that's what's wrong with it.

Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

You notice how in almost every rap video they have all these people groping eachother on the dance floor in slow-mo with beers in their hands?

I hate that. Same thing every time, nothing's ever new. It's like each rap artist steals the video concept from the next artist, and the next, and the next.. It's just over and over.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

WHATS wrong with all that stuff ? [/b][/quote]
    First of all, it's repetitive. When every mainstream rapper is rapping about the same ####, it gets real boring real fast. Nowadays it seems the only real difference between the songs is the color of the damned Escalade the spinners are on.

Second, it's pointless. Rock music has meaning and people can relate to it. Is there a point or meaning behind talking about your bling bling? Can anyone relate to some rapper rap about how cool he is because he's rich, drives an Escalade, smokes weed and bangs the hos? NO.

Third, it shows a general lack of talent. If you're using the same goddamn drum loop for half of the album and rapping about your hoes and weed and your Escalade the entire time, are you talented? Not at all. Get off your lazy ass and write about 15 meaningful songs that are completley different like real bands do.

Last, rappers are getting more credit than they deserve. All the mainstream rappers like 50 Cent and lil John are getting rich off their lack of talent while the people who are really good get no respect and no one knows about them.

20. Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

But don't more of the "good" artists fans want them not to be recognized on a mainstream level to sort of keep it cultish?