Rare rare old song: She Couldn't (with clip)

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Blackee Dammet, Jun 28, 2009.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Neither does half of what record companies do these days.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Touche.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Agreed. This legal issues with all the record companies et all really makes me furious.:angry:

Its THEIR song. they wrote it. recorded it. and THEY made it.
    Sure I understand that once an artist signs an agreement with a record company all the rights go over to them. But this was written Pre-HT wasnt it? Not like "one step closer" was written durring the recording sessions.

I mean warner doesnt own the rights to the Xero tape/HTEP now does it? so why should this demo be effected?

If my band ever got a record deal, we'll NEVER let it come to this. F*ck the record company, If wanted to release an old demo for our fans on the internet, or play it live, nothing will stop us. Its OUR song.

Sorry guys. My rant is over :)

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Unfortunately it's the state of the music industry right now, especially when you're signed to a corporate bloodwagon like Warner. Artists get a fraction of their music sales and their songs legally don't even belong to them. The sad aspect of this is that signing away the rights to your songs comes as z standard stipulation when you sign for a label, large or small.

For alot of bands it's double jeopardy - they find themselves being completely screwed out of money and ownership of their material but if they leave their label they risk losing absolutely everything in terms of promotion, financial stability and more.

Music is a business and there's alot of people working within the music industry who couldn't give a flying fuck about any of the artists signed to their labels just as long as they're raking in the cash.

I found this to be an interesting read on the whole matter.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
    Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

It's likely that Warner not only owns all the songs LP have written, but also the name Linkin Park, the rights to songs written by the band outside of LP and any songs written under the Linkin Park name in the future.

It happens.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

To clarify: All of the pre-Hybrid Theory demos were recorded after the band signed their deal with Warner. The only recordings not owned by Warner are the Xero tape, HTEP, and possibly the self-released 2-track Hybrid Theory demo (Esaul/Super Xero).

The band owns all of the SONGS they record, they are their intellectual property. But Warner owns all the RECORDINGS of the songs. That's standard practice with just about any contract with any record label.

Dedicated

It also mean that if LP re-recorded the songs then Warner wouldn't own the re-recordings (Just trying to answer a question that may be asked).

I'd love to have a look at the actual contract LP signed.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

That would only be true if they re-recorded the songs after their contract with Warner expires. Quite a few older bands with large back catalogs of material have done that, actually. They re-record some of their old songs so they can have recordings of them that they can own and license to people themselves, rather than the record label they were signed to at the time they did the original recordings.

Example: Anybody seen that Dr. Pepper commercial with Gene Simmons from KISS? The version of "Calling Dr. Love" used as the background music in that commercial is a new version of the song that was just recorded last year, instead of the original 1976 recording, which KISS's old label (Universal) still owns the rights to. Dr. Pepper would have had to go through Universal to use the original version in the commercial, rather than going through the band themselves, which is both easier and cheaper.

Dedicated

Yeah. I remember a band recently did that with a greatest hits album they did. I can't remember which band it was but they didn't have the rights to use the original recordings of the songs so they had to re-record them.

Does this mean that LP could re-release the Xero tape (for example) but then it'd belong to Warner?

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I think, if, like, they re-released the songs under "Linkin Park" and under Warner, then, yeah, I'd guess.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Ah thats not as bad as I feared. But still frustraighting.

Its a shame though, I guess "She couldn't" was just one of those songs suck in the middle.

We should all be extremely gratefull that we have it thanks to LPLive. If they never brought it from eBay I doubt we'd ever hear or even know about it ever.

The_4GT10_fACE

The_4GT10_fACE Well-Known Member

The song was ok, liked it. Hmmm, too bad there was never a full version of it. But it is different between this and the other demo's ;)