Star Wars

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Delicious Dave, May 1, 2014.

1. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Only a second time? Filthy casual.

2. Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Han gives Finn a blaster and says ''keep it''. Finn keeps it with him. But when Maz's castle gets attacked Finn says ''I NEED A WEAPON!'' and is forced to use the lightsaber. What the fuck happened to that blaster Han gave him?

3. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Pretty sure he picks it up later on, so he probably had it, but didn't use it. Cuz lightsabers r kewl.

Though, I guess that doesn't explain him asking for a weapon, dunno.

4. Delicious Dave

I got an explanation on reddit but I'm not sure and don't remember, but apparently Finn loaded his gear unto those two guys' ship moments before the attack.

5. Zak

Zak HEY, EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

Can someone explain why R2D2 woke up when it was super convenient and he just happened to have the rest of the map? Deus Ex Machina.

6. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

That would make sense. Probably something that got lost in editing.

We can only hope they give a reasonable explanation for it in the sequels. Presumably Luke turned him off before he left, but yeah. Deus Ex Machina.

7. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

R2D2s update just finished :kappa:

Captain-EO likes this.
  8. lovablepanda

lovablepanda Well-Known Member

The theory I heard and also believe is that Luke could feel the Force Awaken in Rey and Han dying, he turned on R2 to get Rey to come to him.

9. Zak

Zak HEY, EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

I'd also like to know how Poe got off of Jakku and how Rey was as good as she was against Kylo.

10. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

How he got off Jakku is unknown, but I'm guessing he managed to get on a ship/steal a ship to return to the Ressistance. He just landed on a different place on Jakku or something, which is why Finn and him didn't see eachother on Jakku. Poe also says he woke up during the night. It's a bit vague, but yeah.

About Rey and Kylo. Kylo was already pretty badly hurt, since Chewbacca shot in in the side with his crossbow (as seen in the rest of the movie, it's a pretty brutal weapon). Because of this, Rey had an advantage. She's also emotionally more stable than Kylo Ren, which I think also gave her an advantage. And of course, she obviously has had some sort of training before, since she's shown that the can manage that pole of hers really well to fight. Which is why people believe she's another one of Luke's pupils.

11. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I interpreted the R2-D2 reawakening as another hint that Rey may or may not have some strong connection to Luke (since she didn't arrive at the Resistance base until after the Starkiller was destroyed). Still a very convenient plot device, and honestly not a very good one, but science fiction and fantasy is always full of that shit. Hopefully it's elaborated on in one of the sequels.

12. Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

In the flashback it showed Luke touch R2D2 and put him into sleep mode (I think). It's possible Luke just used the force to awaken R2 because of the disturbance caused by Han's death, or maybe Rey is the key to unlocking him. I do think it was Luke that put Rey on Jakku. The way that they left so many plot point explanations up to interpretation as it sets the next movies up very well. JJ set the trilogy on the right track. Rian should be able to do some special stuff with it.

13. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

My theory is that R2-D2 is a massive troll (for lack of a better term) and knowingly withheld the rest of the map for no discernable reason. :rolleyes:

14. Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

R2D2 is Darth Plagueis

15. Delicious Dave

I thought the Supreme Leader actually was giant. But it turned out to just be snoke and mirrors.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  16. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Thank god. I would've hated that.

17. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Well, you're really gonna hate it when he actually turns out to be two feet tall or something :p

18. Minus

Don't worry, person on the internet. I got the joke.

19. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

I ended up enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would. There are still some unexplained questions that I have, but I feel that almost all of them will be answered in the next film. I like how Kylo still has a lot to learn himself, it seems that he'll be a lot more powerful in the next film once he completes his training with Snoke and is able to control his emotions. I've seen many complain about why Rey is so inexplicably skilled, but obviously there's much more to her that they'll explain in the next film so it's all good. Finn brought a lot of fun to the movie, but I wonder how they'll utilize him in the next film, he could be a good teammate with Poe. Poe Dameron and Kylo Ren are two characters I'm excited to see be more fleshed out.

Lightsaber battles had more weight to them than before, it actually feels like they're fighting this time instead of being flashy like the prequels. Reminded me of the OT, much more realistic.

Dialogue was a little cringe-worthy in some scenes, particularly the scene with Han and Kylo. I loved Ford and Driver's facial expressions, they were perfect and definitely made you feel for them, if only the dialogue could've matched it. Han putting his hand on his son's face after he got stabbed was good though, and Chewie getting mad got me more upset than Kylo's talking. Maybe I would've like the scene more if Kylo didn't say as much, but was still clearly emotional.

It was so refreshing after the prequels to get this, even though I liked RotS. Really my only complaint that I feel is valid is the soundtrack, I honestly think the prequels were more memorable in that regard. "Heroes Collide" and "Duel of the Fates" was better than anything here imo, but episode 9 could sound more climatic since it's the last.

20. Minus

Vehemently disagree. Rey's theme is fan-fucking-tastic. Like John Williams and Joe Hisiashi had a symphonic baby. A lot masterfully composed tracks here. The soundtrack is a lot more low-key, but that doesn't make it any less great. I make the comparison of, to dive into another fandom, the 11th Doctor's Theme "I Am The Doctor" compared to the 12th Doctor's Theme "A Good Man". I Am The Doctor is a LOT more memorable. But A Good Man has so much gravitas and gets across the message perfectly without shouting "HEY LOOK AT ME I'M A GREAT SONG".

Don't get me wrong, I love Duel of the Fates but that song just screams "Notice me! I'm being epic!" As opposed to just, you know, being epic.