Sydney

Discussion in 'On Stage' started by Harlz, Aug 3, 2007.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I think that just kind of boils down to the whole big name thing. For example, David Gilmour just did his On An Island tour and played a bunch of small, intimate venues. However, if he tours with Pink Floyd, he fills huge arenas. Paul Stanley just did a solo tour and played to a couple thousand people a night, but when he tours with Kiss, they bring in like 5 times that many people. When a singer from a big-name band (or in Chris' case, two big-name bands) does a solo tour, most of the time, unless they're on a bill with another big act, they won't bring in a whole lot of people.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Not trying to reignite the argument, but I do think that Chris Cornells voice has seen better days. Mind you the evidence I have is only from three different sources (Audioslave in Cuba, Live Earth, and the Henry Rollins show), but he doesn't sound too hot on the more rocking songs now. I would hate to see him try to do Jesus Christ Pose today. :lol:

Cale.

Cale. Banned

Can't believe I remember this, but I do worship Chris Cornell.

Live in Cuba - He was sick. Larangitis(sp?) I believe.
    Live Earth - Couldn't hear himself in the ear piece.

Never seen the Henry Rollns performance. But he's been doing Jesus Christ Pose on this tour, and it's sounded fantastic from what i've seen on youtube and more importantly reviews from people who were there.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Okay, well that explains a lot. Not that I would hold it against him or anything.
    After 20-plus years of screaming his lungs out, it's not too far-fetched to think
    his voice would start to suffer a little bit.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

can you guys say "tomorrow"?! :D

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

I can say Fuck YES!!!

Radish

Radish Guest

Whooaa!! Guys, have fun!
    It's gonna ROCK. I'm eager to see the clips come up on Youtube of Chester singing with the state his arm is in.

Fear

Fear Well-Known Member

I can't wait for live videos from this concert.

minuteforce

by the way, you guys should all rock up with your screen-names on your shirts. :D seriously.

just because i'm going to. and i don't wanna look like a loner. ha.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
    lostcontact

lostcontact Active Member

I can't believe I'm the first one posting about tonights show :D

Fresh off of the press, my ears are still bleeding :lol:

They played Set A, which was okay. Would have much rathered Set B but to be honest, I got to see Linkin Park for the first time so I'm not going to whinge. I actually bet my mate $2 that it was going to be Set A - looks like he should be buying me a cheeseburger soon, hahaha :lol:

Chester actually played guitar on SOTD, which amazed me. Looked a bit awkward, but he pulled it off :p

Chris Cornell didn't really strike any chords with me. I can see what you guys were arguing about earlier, his voice did sound a little strained at times, but yeah, considering he's 40 he's not bad. Plus, his mic channel wasn't loud enough so I could barely make out what he was saying. Chester and Mike's mics were the right volume though.

And for anybody that was up the front, and slightly on the right side of the stage...I was the one yelling "CHESTER" and "MIKE" nearly the whole set :p was right up the front. So happy ^_^

All in all, I probably would have payed $500 for that ticket :p haha. A great night!

Astat

They played the set starting with One Step Closer, which is Set C.

minuteforce

whoa, i thought they'd made a new set every night. 'cause, if we'd gotten set C, we would've gotten "QWERTY" with it.

lostcontact

lostcontact Active Member

Ah, I was just going by what was posted in the news forum a few weeks/months back. I thought it was changed when we found out we had it muddled up >_< so yeah.

Great night though, I can barely hear anything at the moment, haha :D

Astat

QWERTY was in Set B on Projekt Revolution but it was dropped midway through the tour. They're still using the same 3 setlists, Set B has just been modified a bit with the song order and Don't Stay has been added to replace QWERTY.

Cale.

Cale. Banned

I can't stand the crowd's at these concerts. It was worse than Taste of Chaos. 13 year old girls should be banned from General admission, it's a farce how many there were. I've always maintained than GA should be MA15+ and I'm sure I was backed up tonight.

Cornell was outstanding. Superdome was only about half full when he started, but I suppose it's only idiots who would turn up just before Linkin Park anyway, so no great loss. Can't wait to see him on the 24th. Outshined was the highlight for me, great vocal performance and the band was better than I expected. Quite a contrast in the guitar/drums department between the band and Linkin Park.

Linkin Park were great aswell. Lot's of energy onstage as expected. Chester and Mike have great live chemistry with their vocals. Only thing that I was dissapointed with is they continue to neglect their best songs from Hybrid Theory. Forgotten is class. Play it you gronks! I heard good things about the No More Sorrow intro so I would've rathered hear that opening.

Wouldn't even bother remembering the setlist. Can't remember what they played apart from a few songs.

minuteforce

true that, the older sets were much more pit-oriented. you had, like, "with you", "a place for my head", "figure.09", stuff like that. i mean, yeah, i saw, like, no pit action last night.

chair

chair Member

I had no beef with the set list, however I think I would have been better is they didn't start the encore with TLTGYA, and something like WID. :)

Big ups to Chester playing guitar. :D

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

It wasn't at the Superdome... :lol:

Cornell wasn't bad. What he did, he did perfectly in my opinion. The Audioslave songs sounded great, Black Hole Sun was amazing, but the rest didn't sound like anything special to me.

LP were at the top of their game, perfect the whole night through.
    I love the way they actually know about the rivalry between Sydney and Auckland too.

Chester amazed me, he has a broken arm, yet he was still energetic, and still played guitar on Shadow Of The Day.
    No best song for me, all of the were amqazing. Pushing Me Away was beautiful though.

minuteforce

"jesus christ pose" sounded pretty gun. ;) the problem i had with chris cornell's set was the mixing. the vox was way too loud.

LP's set ... heck, you know what? i have a long-ass blog entry about the night, ha -- http://blog.myspace.com/third_faction_0937

Cale.

Cale. Banned

Fuck, entertainment centre. >_<

The taste of chaos comment left a run on thought in my mind probably. The superdome isn't even superdome anymore. Acer Arena. Bloody naming rights.

And yes, i agree about Black Hole Sun. The fade out of "Black hole sun, black hole sun, won't you come" was quite something. His voice was at it's beautiful best.

Chester sounded great during Shadow of the Day too. Suprising, 'cause I thought the preoccupation of having a broken arm and playing guitar may have taken something away from his vocals. Not so. Stellar performance.