The case for the LPA Wiki

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by Adam., Aug 7, 2010.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

EDIT: Shows now.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
    Derek

I encourage people to keep updating the articles through the red link method. We need this project to take wind.

Kathy, I have updated the bios of the band members with our bios. We will need some help re-potholing those articles.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

I will be doing some editing tonight!

Adam.

Adam. Well-Known Member

I notice the speed of edits on the wiki appears to be slower in light of the lack of usability enhancements available to people using Wikia or wikipedia. Is there any chance we could get at least those few addons installed to increase progress more rapidly?

Derek

We'll try to get that done this week. With the podcast preparation we had absolutely no time for the Wiki.

Also, the speed might be because it hasn't been heavily promoted yet. That too will change :).

Adam.

Adam. Well-Known Member

I'm just observing the differences between the Wikia and Custom-Hosted wiki. I think the usability enhancements helped to get people into it more easily.

Derek

Agreed. We'll try as hard as possible to get enhancements rolled out this week. We're working on some other things for the site, but since the podcast is out of the way we're a lot more free.

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

OK, I'm learning some of the more advanced functions of the wiki and stuff, so i can cover for the users who dont.

I figured, that I'd try and make the navigation tables and other templates and stuff, basically meta-wiki work because i'd think those would be helpful. But, as I've done some of this I can't write pages like the "citation needed" page, for instance, because there dont appear to be any rules yet XD.

I guess, before a giant flame war breaks out, it's be wise to institute a basic set of editing rules before the wiki goes public. I think I would also like the LPA wiki to be less intimidating than Wikipedia and it's maze of editing rules pages. I'd like to propose something like this:

This good? bad? needs more? I'm a dumbass?

Derek

I think citations should still be included. Otherwise rumors would get out of hand.

Vriska

that's basically what that first special case is for. I was trying to convey that as soon as one person questions it, it must be cited. Wiki Magic tends to do good by itself, cause there'll be people noticing those rumors and flagging them. People having an edit war would also be breaking the rules because they're supposed to be reading the talk page.

I figured energy shouldn't be wasted on creating citations for "obvious" stuff, like having to cite a CD for the CD's page for instance. Less red tape.

Derek

Agreed. Also we're in the process of trying to work on some plugins to make the Wiki more accessible.

However, we're not 100% sure if we should implement a WYSWIG editor and make it too easy to edit. The problem is, if we make it simple as pie...it's easier for the Wiki to be vandalized, and not only that...it's welcoming people who aren't that intelligent. I fear if we make it too easy, our articles will be rife with spelling errors and I kinda want to encourage intelligence on the Wiki.

Limiting it to Wikitext only could achieve that. But Wikitext has a huge learning curve. Thoughts?

Vriska

I don't think intelligence is correlated with the determination to scale a learning curve. Some otherwise good editors just don't have time to learn.

Furthermore, it takes neither intelligence nor wiki knowledge to vandalize a page. All you have to do is
    1. Ctrl-A
    2. type "MIKE SHINODA IS A DOO DOO HEAD"
    3. press submit.
    I've never reverted a page before, but I know pages can be reverted. (IDK if this is an admin ability or not, i dont think so. EDIT: normal people can revert pages)

Futher-furthermore, grammar nazis are encouraged to make spelling and grammar corrections, as hardcore LP fans will make information edits. Someone knowledgeable about the band is not automatically good at spelling. And someone good at spelling may not be good at formatting. Someone who's a Linkin Park noob may be great at both spelling and formatting. You wouldn't need to worry about that.

heck i suck at both spelling and grammar, and someone was already covering my ass on the first edits to that wiki.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
    Derek

Sadly we can't add a WYSWIG editor. All the ones out there are beta, and are not guaranteed or provided with a warranty. The directions are horrible, and we could possibly fuck things up. People just have to use your guide and learn Wikitext. It's the only way till a "supported" wyswig editor comes out.

Also in other news:
    http://wiki.lpassociation.com/index.php/Main_Page

Houston, we have a logo!

Vriska

Very nice logo! sweet.

Okay, next I'll work on getting a clearer, nicer looking help page, and maybe the Cheatsheet will get its own bigger page.
    But first, food. buh bye.

Derek

You guys can start promoting the link above now. We're gonna slowly implement some upgrades here and there but for those knowledgeable in Wikipedia its ready to go.

Zak

Zak HEY, EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

Infoboxes are... HARD!!
    So I improvised and used a table instead on some of the albums and on the catalyst.
    Plus I need more info about each and every song possible such as tempo and which key it is in so I can get started on them.

Vriska

I suggest just starting off with what you know. I only know a few, like Faint being 135 BPM, I think in the end someone who learned them by ear will have to divulge this information.

I was actually gonna try and make the navigation box templates, like i did for Hybrid Theory, that's supposed to go on the bottom on all the song pages. They are tricky, aren't they? I think i tried to copy some complex template over... and it just got too crazy so I'd just stick with tables.

Derek

Anybody know how to make the category pages like here? Must they be custom done or is there a script?

20. Vriska

make a page titled "Category:category name"

at the very bottom of any applicable page. add a category tag [[Category:categoryname]] or [[Category:categoryName|subcategoryName]]. the category page should populate automatically.

EDIT: oh btw something i found that this wiki doesnt automatically do is have <ref> reference </ref> tags.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010