The Coldplay thread

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Abel, Sep 7, 2013.

1. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Yeah, definitely.

I should probably write an album review sometime. Eh I'll do it this weekend.

2. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

For the past hour or so, I've been hunting down high quality versions of b-sides and unreleased versions of songs from the Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends era. Totes gonna create a better version of Propsket's March. Always couldn't stand how Lost+ and Lovers in Japan were on there. There's so many songs from that time period that could have been included on the EP, but noooo.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  3. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

ALBUM #8 CONFIRMED :kappa:

[video=youtube;-1jd4o68_XY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1jd4o68_XY[/video]

4. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

[video=youtube;iQar3ayLaP4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQar3ayLaP4[/video]
    [video=youtube;n1O9X0_WNTY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1O9X0_WNTY[/video]
    [video=youtube;UCYM9fU0OdU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCYM9fU0OdU[/video]

Always loved Coldplay for Jonny Buckland's sound.

5. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Make sure you get those super early demos with just Chris singing on the piano. Those songs had so much heart.

6. Gibs

I guess I should go find those, I forgot they existed. I'm definetely gonna include Lost? and Lovers in Japan acoustic though.

7. brady

I do like there being a version of Lovers in Japan without the hidden track. I love Lovers in Japan.

8. Gibs

Oh, don't get me wrong. Lovers in Japan is one of my favorites by Coldplay. I just don't like how they wasted 2 track slots on the EP with alternate versions of songs we already have. Life in Technicolor ii is worth it though, since it has vocals.

9. Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Those VLV demos are great. I wish instead of PM and MX we just got finished versions of those and the best from PM.

10. brady

Yeah, that's fair. But Lost+ was completely unnecessary.

11. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

I thought Coldplay said this was going to be their last album. Was that just a rumor or something?

12. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I really dig Amazing Day and Up & Up. Everglow has a really nice sound to it, but it feels like it doesn't really go anywhere. AD and Up & Up, along with Advernture of a Lifetime, are probably the only tracks I'll keep listening to.

13. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I think Chris said something like AHFOD "feels like the end of something" but journalists interpreted that as meaning the band would stop making music. I'm not sure what Chris means. Maybe he thinks that band should go back to the more minimal, indie rock (at the time it was considered that) sound they had on Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head. Or maybe not the sound, because it's a little dated and would be too regressive for them. Maybe they want to go back to that mindset but use the new things they learned from their more recent work? But again, I'm not in the band and am not Chris, so who knows

14. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Chris said in an interview recently that it didn't mark the end of the band, but it felt like the end of a story-arch that started taking place from Viva la Vida onwards. These three albums, in his mind, were a trilogy of sorts. This certainly doesn't mark the end of the band making music, unless something unforeseeable happens. That particular comment, about the end of something, was distorted by the media - no question about it.

15. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

I really like that album, also if this dont beat Viva La Vida for me. I would put it on the same stage with MX.

Favorite tracks so far. Up&Up , Amazing Day and Army Of One

16. Gibs

I just listened to Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends for the first time in a while. I'm really starting to realize how much A Head Full of Dreams pales in comparison to Coldplay's other works. Other than maybe Up&Up and Amazing Day, the album just isn't emotionally engaging like Viva is, or how A Rush of Blood to the Head is. I was initally excited that Coldplay was putting out new material so quickly after Ghost Stories, but it's apparent that they should have taken their time with this one. Hopefully whatever comes next will be a more focused, and refined effort. Coldplay is capable of so much more than middle-of-the-road Pop tunes.

17. Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

A Head Full of Dreams is definitely on par with Mylo Xyloto with me, and that's a good thing! I still liked Viva la Vida and Ghost Stories more, but I'm probably easy to win over when it comes to Coldplay, because I really liked it.

Best tracks are "Hymn For The Weekend", "Army of One", and definitely "Up&Up". That totally felt like a finale before Coldplay goes on hiatus, which...I know it's not their very last album, but hypothetically "Up&Up" is such a great track to end with.

18. Gibs

[video=youtube;vqOnUB9gnDM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqOnUB9gnDM[/video]

19. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

The video's alright. Does that mean "Birds" is the next single? Cuz I was expecting either Hymn for the Weekend or A Head Full of Dreams :eek:

20. Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Hymn for the weekend will be one of the last two singles along with either Fun or Amazing Day. Sadly I doubt A Head Full of Dreams will be a single.