The Music Inside My Head: Linkin Park

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Blake, Jul 28, 2017.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Ever since the tragedy on Thursday Linkin Park has been the music inside my head. When I'm at work, since I shouldn't be listening to music, I have basically had a Linkin Park concert in my head singing very few select songs in my head.

Unlike a lot of people here, I am super bad at remembering lyrics to full songs. Until last Thursday I only knew 3 songs fully word for word off the top of my head and if I tried to sing two of those songs at this given moment I might mess up the lyrics slightly.

So last Friday I had my phone open in front of me on my work desk with the lyrics to Final Masquerade. FM has basically been the song for me ever since Chester's death. Luckily for this song the lyrics fit all on one page. I sang and I sang along in my head until I knew the lyrics word for word then I sang and sang even more for the entire day long without needing the lyrics in front of me. Friday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. All 4 days, singing Final Masquerade in my head all work long. Probably 6.5 hours total a day.

Today, one week from his death I decided to branch out and realized maybe I know more lyrics then I thought I did.

First I started with One More Light. A song that without knowing I already knew off the top of my head. The lyrics are pretty simple and easy to remember because it's the one song I actually relate to from the band. Then I decided to add Leave Out All the Rest which I also knew already by heart without realizing it. I guess all those years during the MTM cycle when it was tied as my favorite LP with Breaking the Habit really paid off. So I decided to branch out again, this time with Powerless. This one I did have to sit down and memorize the lyrics. Luckily the lyrics take up less than half a page and it was super easy. Trying to vary across all albums I turn to Somewhere I Belong. I failed. I failed for the life of me. No matter how many times I tried to remember it Mike's rapping would always mess me up. Outside of In the End I really have trouble memorizing lyrics to the first to albums.
    So that brings me to Waiting For the End. A song I thought I knew so I tested myself. Turns out I kept wanting to skip Mike's second verse. One quick look at the lyrics and bam I remembered the entire second verse from looking at the first line. I would sing these songs in that order over and over again all day long.

So basically ever since Friday I have had a Linkin Park concert in my head but today it grew to an actual mini concert with a rotation of:
    1. Final Masquerade
    2. One More Light
    3. Leave Out All the Rest
    4. Powerless
    5. Waiting For the End

To me having this mini concert inside my head has actually been calming and keeps your mind off of thoughts and other things that could potentially bring you down.

I share this because it's been a unique experience for me and something that I've normally not good at doing (memorizing lyrics) has become more natural to me.

Now I ask you guys, have any you ever had similar experiences now or in the past?

alex4d and EvilMamma like this.
    alex4d

alex4d Member

I agree 100%. Since the events of last Thursday, all I've been able to listen to is Linkin Park. I know that some people are the opposite, and can not listen to them right now, and may never be able to again, but for me its therapeutic.

My go-to songs, and the ones I've been humming and singing to the last couple of days has been...

1) One More Light
    2) Shadow Of The Day
    3) Burning In The Skies
    4) In The End
    5) Bleed It Out

Pretty much an even mixture of new and old.

I will say too, that there are plenty of LP songs I've memorized lyrics to, even semi-complicated ones like the intro to Bleed It Out I nail every time. Sometimes I surprise myself and sing along even when I seem to think I don't know what lyrics will be coming next.

Long Live Linkin Park.

Edit : Blake, I just read your bit on being unable to sing through Mike's portion of Somewhere I Belong, and I've listened to that song SO MANY times I can sing it by memory.

EvilMamma and Blake like this.
    Mysticliz

Mysticliz Well-Known Member

@Blake I can relate...

When George Michael passed Christmas day I put on my old wham album.. (vinyl.. yes I'm that old I still have original vinyl) I knew all the songs as soon as they played word perfect... I shocked myself

Modern Guitar God and EvilMamma like this.
    EvilMamma

EvilMamma Active Member

I have insane memorization skills. Been that way my entire life....was singing lyrics to songs my dad would play since I was 3. In in my 40s now...a few years older then Chester.

There isn't one song off any album of LP I don't know the words to by memory. I have 12 playlist, defined by mood. I have no less then 6 LP songs (all different) on each playlist.

Oddly enough, every day, I choose a song of the day for my fb friends. The day Chester died, Final Masquerade was the song I chose. I pick that song at least once a month. Probably one of my top 5 all time favorites.

My main, everyday random playlist had these 7 LP songs...along with Seether, Original Three Days Grace, Sleeping With Sirens and A Day to Remember

1. Burning in the Skies
    2. From the Inside
    3. Final Masquerade
    4. Blackbirds
    5. One Step Closer
    6. The Catalyst
    7. In the End

Each one of those songs have significant meaning in my life, and that playlist will never change. I sing those songs in my sleep...

Blake likes this.
    Blake

Thanks for sharing! I just want to say that you have really good taste in music :)

I also want to say that I have a great memorization skills as well but I always had trouble when it comes to lyrics. Maybe because I listen to so many artists that it would be insanely hard, or maybe because I dnot try hard enough and just mindlessly sing along when I do without trying to remember. I really don't know.

EvilMamma likes this.
    EvilMamma

EvilMamma Active Member

@Blake honestly, I listen to so many genres of music...sometimes, Idk if I'm coming or going. Age has a lot to do with that...I grew up with and still listen to The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Stones, Rush, The Smiths, Depeche Mode, Greenday, The Offspring, The Eagles...omg the list goes on and on and on....

I was born into an era of fantastic music...I ended up branching over to the rock and alternative/punk/indie genres. LP fulfills all of those genres for me. I wanna scream, Given Up and From the Inside goes on...I wanna chill, I play LOATR, Invisible, In The End...songs like that. I get all I need from one band! It's what makes them such a unique group.

Mysticliz and Blake like this.
    Blake

I agree with what you said!

I listen to all genres, even genres the Internet likes to make fun of like Country. Kenny Chesney is actually my second favorite artist of all time after Blink-182. Werird right? I don't find it weird but some people don't seem to grasp that all genres have artists who make good music.

In terms of Linkin Park I also agree they are so good in terms in everything they do. They were good at changing their sound and always come up with something fresh and unique that usually sounded good too. For me personally, my 3 favorite Linkin Park songs of all time come from The Hunting Party but 5 of the 7 Linkin Park studio songs I don't like also come from the The Hunting Party. So to me they made 6 amazing albums and 1 album that overall wasn't my cup of tea. But I love that they threw everybody for a curveball with The Hunting Party. I love that they have so many different styles that can fit my various moods. And I love that I can listen to heavy song like Mark the Graves (my favorite LP song) and then listen to One More Light (the song) right after. Makes for an awesome and unique listening experience the fact that type of music is all from the same band.

StrictlyJohnD

StrictlyJohnD Go Texans & Rockets!

"Crawling" and "Halfway Right" have been on loop in my head since Black Thursday last week. The former was mentioned quite a lot in various media outlets' reports on Chester while the latter is one of my favorite tracks off One More Light. And "Talking to Myself" will soon be my latest symptom of Last Song Syndrome since I'm binge-watching covers on YouTube.

I'm glad you started this thread @Blake because I want to share my list of LP songs that are my all-time favorites i.e. the set list of my own LP concert.
    1. "Papercut"
    2. "Don't Stay"
    3. "A Place for My Head"
    4. "Faint"
    5. "Leave Out All the Rest"
    6. "My December"
    7. Waiting for the End"
    8. "War"
    9. "Hit the Floor"
    10. "When They Come for Me"
    11. "Wretches and Kings"
    12. "I'll Be Gone"
    13. "Nobody Can Save Me"

Blake likes this.
    EvilMamma

EvilMamma Active Member

I draw the line with country....just cannot listen to it.

It's difficult for me to choose 3 top LP songs for me. My mood defines what LP songs I listen to. If I have to pick my all time favorite...Toss up between Burning in the Skies and From the Inside.

So many good songs to choose from...lol

Mysticliz

I have a number of bands I'm like that with... top 3 tracks... ppfff before I know it listed nearly all tracks...
    I say it's my age... lol

EvilMamma

EvilMamma Active Member

Lol...I have my go to favorites from everyone I listen to. LP is just one of those groups I have listened to since I first heard them 18 yrs ago. I will listen to them for another 18 and then some.

Blake and Mysticliz like this.
    Mysticliz

@EvilMamma ...
    Last few weeks I've had lots of 80s and 70s playing o my "my week" Spotify playlist lol...

Even shocked a few ppl cause I listen to all time low, you me at six & fall out boy...

Discovered stone sour few days ago on the linkin park radio on Spotify..
    Not to mention disturbs sound of silence and land of confusion... wow those tracks are amazing

EvilMamma and Blake like this.
    EvilMamma

EvilMamma Active Member

Omg...huge Stone Sour fan! Nice Cory Taylor is back at it with them...not that I don't like Slipknot...love Fall Out Boy as well...my youngest loves their song "light It Up..." yelling the lyrics out the window as loud as he can...great times! He can do the intro to Disturbed's Down With the Sickness...creepy as hell when my then 7 or old was singing it lmao

The 80s was a trying time for me with music. Spent most my time listening to AC/DC and The Cure...opposites, I know. Lol

My oldest son, apparently the apple doesn't fall far... He has been screaming LP songs since he was 3 (he's now almost 18)...The Catalyst, Nobody's Listening and Runaway (in that order) are his favorite songs by them. He was due to see them for the very first time in Philly next week...he is absolutely heartbroken.

Music has defined my entire life. My dad was a HUGE music fan. I grew up with a headset Lol

Blake likes this.
    BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I didn't read this entire thread but I will say that I've woken up almost every day with the urge to listen to Nobody Can Save Me. I listen first thing on my way to work and when I get to work. It's just crazy good.

Blake likes this.