The Official Mars Volta Thread

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Branden, May 1, 2006.

Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

Yes, I realize that I may be a little early as far as official threads go, but I'm rather bored at the moment and I'm on a Mars Volta kick. Ideally, I'd like this thread to be an epicenter of Mars Volta news, praise, and criticism. Also, a place to anticipate their new album. I don't know if this thread will survive or not, but whatever. The Nine Inch Nails one worked wonderfully (though NIN is much closer to Linkin Park than Mars Volta is), and the Tool one has also been a hit. I know there are some fans of The Mars Volta here at the LPA, like Casey, Odaton, Brent/Neo/whatever he's calling himself these days, and Cameron. I know there are others who have made it public knowledge that they despise them, like Will. And that's quite alright.

[​IMG]

I guess I'll start off at the beginning.
    The Mars Volta is a band. They're a band that I like quite a bit. They're my personal favorite band. Their music is described as "progressive," although the band themselves don't like labels. The Mars Volta have released two full-length studio albums, one studio EP, a live full-length record, and a live EP, along with various compilations and singles. The band as of now is Omar A. Rodriguez-Lopez on guitar, and he also produced the past two records, Scabdates & Frances The Mute. Cedric Bixler-Zavala does vocals, Juan Alderte plays bass, Jon Theodore drums, Isaiah Ikey Owens plays keyboards and such, Adrian Terrazas-Gonzalez does saxophone and things like that. There are various other players that are part of the live show, but I can't remember who they are. Omar Rodriguez and Cedric Bixler-Zavala are probably most well-known for playing in At The Drive-In, which was apparently a pretty popular band back around 2000/01. They broke up.

In 2002, The Mars Volta released Tremulant, a three-song EP that showed what Mars Volta were about, to those who were expecting another At The Drive-In. In 2003, they released their debut full-length record De-Loused in the Comatorium, which I guess quite a few critics regarded as the best rock album of that year. Later in 2003, they released the Live EP, a four-song EP featuring four songs from De-Loused... live. Well, I guess two were at a BBC session or whatever. In 2005, they released Frances The Mute, which is a little weird to some people. It's made up of essentially five songs, although originally there were meant to be six, and the first song of the album wouldn't fit physically on a CD, and I guess the record company wouldn't pay to ship a double album. Anyway, The Widow, a pretty popular track by MarsVolta standards, was on that record. Scabdates, a live record, was released this past November, and featured various live recordings that Omar welded together to make the record. It's pretty good. But there's a lot of noise. They're kind of a noisy band.

The Mars Volta have worked with quite a few people. Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, played bass on De-Loused in the Comatorium, and played trumpet on Frances The Mute. Maybe he played some trumpet on De-loused too, I don't remember. John Frusciante of RHCP fame played guitar on the song L'via L'viaquez, and Larry Harlow played piano on that song. He's a piano player who's pretty famous in the world of salsa, and is a major major influence on Omar as a guitar player. I've heard a bit of Harlow's stuff, and it is quite good. Um... hmm. Omar Rodriguez has put out two solo albums, A Manual Dexterity..., and Omar Rodriguez. He's playing guitar on the Chili Peppers' upcoming Stadium Arcadium for a song, I don't remember which one. Something about Detroit. Cedric-Bixler Zavala is doing guest vocals on the upcoming Mastodon record, and Ikey is playing keys on that album as well. Ikey also created the beat for the Saul Williams song "Black Stacey", for those of you familiar with him.

Anyway, now I come to the whole point of this thread. The new record. Little is known about the new album, but I've come across a few clues indicating, to me at least, that there is soon going to be a sudden influx of information. First off, a BBC interview with John Frusciante revealed that he is playing guitar on the new album, and that Omar wrote those parts, but didn't want to play them, so he could be objective as a producer. In that same interview, he said "the new Mars Volta album that is coming out in a few months". Now, certainly he doesn't mean exactly three months, but I think this is a sign that things are moving along. The drum tracks and things have been done for a while, so I've heard. Today on Myspace, The Mars Volta sent out a bulletin about t-shirt sales, but in it said that "New Mars Volta information is right around the corner". Also, Theory, a web designer who not only does The Mars Volta's websites, but also a fansite, The Comatorium, has said on that forum that TMV has already started giving him ideas for a new website, which he will be creating soon after he's done doing stuff for AFI.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure that not many people care, but I felt that I'd make this thread anyway, and I hope some people contribute to it.

TOUR DATES WITH THE RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS
    ug 11, 2006 - Portland, OR - Rose Garden
    Aug 15, 2006 - Boise, ID - Taco Bell Arena
    Aug 16, 2006 - Salt Lake City, UT - Delta Center
    Aug 18, 2006 - Denver, CO - Pepsi Center
    Aug 21, 2006 - Phoenix, AZ - Glendale Arena
    Aug 22, 2006 - San Diego, CA - iPay One Sports Arena
    Aug 24, 2006 - Oakland, CA - Oakland Arena
    Aug 27, 2006 - Fresno, CA - Selland Arena
    Sep 14, 2006 - Vancouver, BC - GM Place
    Sep 16, 2006 - Calgary, AB - Pengrowth Saddledome
    Sep 17, 2006 - Edmonton, AB - Rexall Place
    Sep 19, 2006 - Saskatoon, SK - Saskatchewan Credit Union Center
    Sep 20, 2006 - Winnipeg, MB - MTS Centre
    Sep 25, 2006 - Toronto, ON - Air Canada Center
    Sep 28, 2006 - Montreal, QC - Bell Centre
    Oct 01, 2006 - Quebec City, QC - Pepsi Collisee
    Oct 17, 2006 - E Rutherford, NJ - Continental Airlines Arena
    Oct 18, 2006 - E Rutherford, NJ - Continental Airlines Arena
    Oct 20, 2006 - Boston, MA - TD Bank North Garden
    Oct 21, 2006 - Albany, NY - Pepsi Arena
    Oct 23, 2006 - Philadelphia, PA - Wachovia Center
    Oct 24, 2006 - Philadelphia,PA - Wachovia Center
    Oct 26, 2006 - Atlanta, GA - Gwinnett
    Oct 30, 2006 - Columbus,OH - Schottenstein Center
    Oct 31, 2006 - Cleveland, OH - Quicken Loans Arena
    Nov 02, 2006 - Grand Rapids, MI - Van Andel Arena
    Nov 03, 2006 - Detroit, MI - Palace of Auburn Hills
    Nov 05, 2006 - St. Paul, MN - Xcel Energy Center

Resources
    TheMarsVolta.com
    Myspace.
    TheComatorium
    TheMarsVolta Wikipedia

Information on the new record:

title: Amputechture

releasedate: September 12th, 2006 (USA)
    artwork: "Big Mutant" by Jeff Jordan:
    [​IMG]
    tracklist:
    1. VICARIOUS ATONEMENT
    2. TETRAGRAMMATON
    3. VERMICIDE
    4. MECCAMPUTECHTURE
    5. ASILOS MAGDALENA
    6. VISCERA EYES
    7. DAY OF THE BAPHOMETS
    8. EL CIERVO VULNERADO

Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
    Darcy

Darcy LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I love them. I think this thread will go way far, considering the general amazingness of The Mars Volta.

But mostly I just wanted to say that, after looking at that picture, I've decided that they both look way better in women's pants than I do.

Bastards.

EDIT: Can I get a link to the t-shirt sales bulletin? If it's not too much of a pain.

Chris Luke

Chris Luke LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

The Mars Volta Live from the Electric Ballroom = orgasmic.
    The Mars Volta Wiltern shows = orgasmic.
    The Mars Volta = orgasmic.
    Omar's hair = orgasmic.
    How Jon Theodore can remove his shirt without anyone seeing = semi-orgasmic.
    The ambient noise in Miranda = fucking annoying.

ktxhbye.

Branden

It was for Threadless, Darcy, not for Mars Volta shirts. But www.threadless.com
    I guess the guy who runs all The Mars Volta sites has a connection to threadless.

and Franny, I agree. Except I've grown accustomed to those damn frogs. And I wish there were better quality versions of The Wilterns. But I like Saul Williams on Eriatarka from that one Wiltern show.

Chris Luke

Bass solo on the May 12 show > Saul Willaims on Eritarka

But yeah, Saul killed on Eriatarka.

Branden

I don't think I downloaded the May 12th show, just the 13th. I downloaded just Eriatarka from the 12th.

Tour Dates with Red Hot Chili Peppers.

May 08, 2006 -- New York NY -- US -- Irving Plaza
    Aug 05, 2006 -- Chicago IL -- US -- Lollapalooza
    Aug 11, 2006 -- Portland OR -- US -- Rose Garden
    Aug 15, 2006 -- Boise ID -- US -- Taco Bell Arena
    Aug 16, 2006 -- Salt Lake City UT -- US -- Delta Center
    Aug 18, 2006 -- Denver CO -- US -- Pepsi Center
    Aug 21, 2006 -- Phoenix AZ -- US -- Glendale Arena
    Aug 22, 2006 -- San Diego CA -- US -- Sports Arena
    Aug 24, 2006 -- Oakland CA -- US -- Oakland Arena
    Aug 27, 2006 -- Fresno CA -- US -- Selland Arena
    Sep 14, 2006 -- Vancouver BC -- CA -- GM Place
    Sep 16, 2006 -- Calgary AB -- CA -- Pengrowth Saddledome
    Sep 17, 2006 -- Edmonton AB -- CA -- Rexall Place
    Sep 19, 2006 -- Saskatoon SK -- CA -- Saskatchewan Credit Union Center
    Sep 20, 2006 -- Winnipeg MB -- CA -- MTS Centre
    Sep 25, 2006 -- Toronto ON -- CA -- Air Canada Center
    Sep 28, 2006 -- Montreal QC -- CA -- Bell Centre
    Oct 01, 2006 -- Quebec City QC -- CA -- Pepsi Collisee
    Oct 17, 2006 -- New York NY -- US -- Continental Airlines Arena
    Oct 20, 2006 -- Boston MA -- US -- Fleet Center
    Oct 21, 2006 -- Albany NY -- US -- Pepsi Arena
    Oct 23, 2006 -- Philadelphia PA -- US -- Wachovia Center
    Oct 26, 2006 -- Atlanta GA -- US -- Gwinnett
    Oct 30, 2006 -- Columbus OH -- US -- Nationwide Arena
    Oct 31, 2006 -- Cleveland OH -- US -- Quicken Loans Arena
    Nov 02, 2006 -- Grand Rapids MI -- US -- Van Andel Arena
    Nov 03, 2006 -- Detroit MI -- US -- Palace of Auburn Hills
    Nov 05, 2006 -- Minneapolis MN -- US -- Xcel Arena

Last edited: May 2, 2006
    DIJ Metal

DIJ Metal Banned

damn it. they're coming here August 11th......I don't know if I'll even have a place to live in August, my mom is going to be down $400 a month

I'm still buying a ticket though NOTHING will stop me from seeing TMV and RHCP

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I don't see Tennessee on that list. Fucking bullshit.

Branden

That sucks. The closest they're coming to Tennessee is Columbus where I'll probably go. Maybe they'll do another tour. I'm sure RHCP, and Mars Volta will probably do a headlining tour, I'd imagine. Once their new record is released.

Branden

If you're in Vancouver, it's September 14th.
    Sorry about before, I didn't think the dates would post like that.
    But I went and spaced them out.

Darcy

Threadless? What a strange connection.

--------

The problem with this thread is that the minute I hear rumors of new Mars Volta stuff, I want to hear it NOW. I'm so impatient.

Ooh, tour dates. Yay @ October 20th. Whoever wrote that hasn't caught on to the Fleet Center not being called the Fleet Center anymore. For some reason there always seems to be something wrong with the MA part of tour lists. Oh well, I'll get over it.

Last edited: May 2, 2006
    Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

I absolutely love The Mars Volta. If I would have seen them on tour with System of a Down my life would have been officially complete.

DIJ Metal

DIJ Metal Banned

nah I'm in Vancouver, WA which is just across the river from Portland, OR

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

"Tour dates with Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Sep 20, 2006 -- Winnipeg MB -- CA -- MTS Centre "

FUCK YES. :lol:

Chris Luke

Well download Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt, your life isn't complete without it.

Darcy

Weird...for some reason there's no date in Providence, Rhode Island. That sucks. Bitches are going to have go to my show...less time for me to buy tickets before they most likely sell out. That's so strange, though. Bands almost never skip Rhode Island.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

Why is it rare for a good band to come by Nebraska? And if they do it's always Omaha...which is still a rare occassion.

Branden

The Mars Volta have said before that (although I doubt they had anything to do with making the dates) they like to play bigger cities, like New York or San Francisco, or Texas, because there's more diversity. They don't really like the midwest, because it's mainly "macho football-oriented" people. But where I live, I have to agree with them on that statement.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

They are right...This place does suck, and I doubt they'd get the crowd they deserve, but it really narrows my chances of seeing them ever.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Mars Volta are kickass.

If only they would come to Texas...