The Official "With Teeth/NIN" Thread

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by $pvcxGhxztCasey, Jan 31, 2005.

1. $pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Before the hack attack (...), there was a thread on KROQ's Almost Acoustic Christmas, I believe.

Yeah. Nine Inch Nails is going to be there, according to the current section.

2. Cale.

Cale. Banned

Downloading Pretty Hate Machine finally. Can someone tell me what to expect and how it differs from TDS/TF/WT.

3. Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

On Nine Inch Nails: Lite aka Pretty Hate Machine:

Lyrics are a little more "angsty" than actually "angry" He was just finding his songwriting niche. It was made with like a sampler and .... a keyboard. That's about it. Compared to TDS it's like 5 tracks of midi compared to 100 tracks of audio. I still love it but you'll instantly sense the dated feeling of it. He wasn't as angry as he'll get on Broken. Nowhere near. Best songs to me: Head Like a Hole, Terrible Lie, Something I Can Never Have, Sin.

Can't really compare to The Fragile, With_Teeth or TDS. At all. It's his first album and this was before Pro Tools and 1000 tracks of audio crammed into 4 minutes. I don't think Trent really became the songwriter we know until Broken. I'll-rip-your-face-off Trent.

For being technically simple he evokes a lot of emotion from that keyboard. If the re-master/5.1 deal goes down, and I don't think it will, I'd snatch it up. It's a good overall album but I wouldn't go back and listen to it anytime soon. Broken and later just blows it away from a musical standpoint. The songs sound better live so get And All That Could Have Been[I/] or Closure.

Casey can probably give you some better points than me.

4. Rachel

Rachel look at my horse. LPA Super Member

I went to the 11-9 Boston concert.

Oh.mah.gawd.

Amazing.

Purely amazing.

Death From Above= <33

Queens of the Stone Age=<333 with the exception of the lack of playing "No One Knows".

Then. NIN.

oh.my.god.

They started off with Pinion then rip into Love is Not Enough.

Oh my god.

Oh my god.

I can't describe it.

No "Reptile" or "Starfuckers" :'(

But they played "Dead Souls" which was all fine and dandy.

I'm shaking thinking about it.

Religious experience? Yes.

5. $pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

"Pretty Hate Machine" has some of the most well known Nine Inch Nails songs on that record (Head Like A Hole, Terrible Lie, Down In It, Sin, Something I Can Never Have), but it's also very underrated in the aspect that some people think those are the only good songs on there.

The Only Time, Kinda I Want To, Sanctified, That's What I Get, and Ringfinger all kick ass in different ways. The album, while sounding like it's hot off the printing press in 1989, still is a solid album. Perhaps the only downer of the whole thing is Down In It, but that song still kinda rocks in it's own little way.

In closing, it might not be as career defining as "The Downward Spiral", or as good as "The Fragile", but atleast it isn't as bad as "With Teeth", right?

P.S. - Yes, this album is very angsty. I believe Reznor once said it's the perfect college rebellion/break-up record.

6. Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

They played it on the DC show but they ruined it with a giant solo in the middle. The non-solo parts were cool though, it was kinda sped up and chunky sounding...

My reaction was exactly the same. Someone asked me how it was the other day and I giggily talked their ear off.

7. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

What's the length of "Pinion"? My version sounds incomplete.

8. Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

1:02 :)

9. Will

1:02 :) [/b][/quote]
    :lol: Okay.

10. Testament

Testament \m/ LPA Super Member

How are NIN/Death From Above 1979 live? I've already seen QOTSA live, and was unimpressed.

11. Will

Someone needs to seed CDs two and three of We're in This Together (Halo 15) and also Halos 9 and 10 and then give me a link to the torrent. NOW. :(

Edit:

Oh, and Halos 18 and 20.

12. Branden

Branden hey! LPA Super Member

Why do you want the WITT single?

Futher Down The Spiral is wonderful, though.

I've been thinking lately about making a torrent that contains every single Halo up until today. Because the one that I downloaded only went up to 16.

13. Will

I'm trying to get all their songs... no real reason. Just to say I have them.

I've got most everything else. I'm missing a couple songs from Halos 9 and 10... I don't have ANY of Halos 18 and 20 (and I just checked nin.com and there's a LOT)... I don't have Halos 12 or 17 because they're video-oriented... and I don't have the other two discs from Halo 16 (I have the first CD single).

14. Branden

17 also comes in audio form. Along with Still, which a lot of people consider to be their favorite album.

Most of the singles don't contain b-sides, sadly. Mostly just remixes.

15. Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

Believe it or not, I think I have them all. Enhanced CD parts excluded, of course.

16. Will

I know. :lol:

17. Branden

Down In It sounds a hell of a lot better live.

Also, if any of you do torrents, and find a torrent called And All That Should Have Been, I highly suggest downloading it. It has a bunch of extra songs, live. And soundboard, so they're very good quality. Like AATCHB quality.

18. The Outsider

The Outsider Billy Corgan = God

my friend says that ex-member of NIN Twiggy played really badly similiar to the ways that punks play their music. i said that wasn't true. but is it?

19. Will

Because, you know, all punks play badly. :rolleyes: Don't stereotype.

20. Branden

:huh:

A.] Jeordie White ("Twiggy") plays in Nine Inch Nails now. Meaning he's playing with them at this very moment in Montreal. Meaning he's not an "ex-member".

B.] "Twiggy played really badly similiar to the ways that punks play their music." If I'm supposed to come up with a retort to this, then I'm lost, because I have no clue what you said.

C.] "i said that wasn't true. but is it?" If you said it wasn't true, then you should be educated enough on the subject to not have to ask as to whether you were correct or not. Of course, being the nice gentleman I am, I would've answered had I a clue of what you were saying.