The Top 100 " " of all time (Rollingstone)

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Gloomy Mushroom, Jan 13, 2009.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

lol. to people above talking about a musical genius list:

HAVEN'T WE BEEN THROUGH ALL THAT MUSICAL GENIUS STUFF IN THE LPA BEFORE!

and besides, if there were a musical genius list, Mikael Akerfeldt would be on top.

:lol:

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

I was kinda pissed that David Gilmore was so far back on the greatest guitarists.

He is a fucking wizard with his strat. His solo's deserve WAY more credit, especially his live stuff which sounds better than the albums sometimes.

It's pointless reading these lists. All you do is disagree with them.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

...because people are just biased to what they like.

Neotriple

Neotriple LPA VIP LPA VIP

Top 5 modern day may be (and probably is) a stretch, but Chester is really pretty good. We're also talking modern day here, so definately not top 5 all time. I just think Chester can do so much vocally in different ranges (regarding Rock -n - Roll, then something to more of a 'singing' voice, to even screaming).

This may be pure bias coming in, but I really think he's pretty good, and I know others who aren't too fond of Linkin Park that think he's really quite good as well.

I don't think anybody here suggested anybody from Linkin Park be put on the guitar list, but like Harlz said, Chester's voice is really very good, even after Hybrid Theory.

As for Trent Reznor; he's the greatest of a singer, but he's a musical genius, but like someone else said as well, there isn't a category for that.

Nick

Nick Great Job! LPA Super VIP

Well I respect other people's opinions, but the list WAS made by OTHER people.

So the best list is to make it yourself, I enjoy looking at big lists like these just to see what they write about the said person.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Exactly, God... I knew there was a reason why you were somewhat loved by me.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

I LOVE how it's embarrassing to like Linkin Park on this forum.

It's incredibly hilarious watching you guys discus Linkin Park, in the other music part of this forum.

Oh, and does modern day vocalists only include POPULAR modern day vocalists? Because if it doesn't I'll put Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth) up for best vocalist as well. And Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield etc.). And that Australian vocalists (who's name escapes me) from Karnivool and Birds Of Tokyo.

And Sarah: In your signature, what is that Perfect Circle related image? It almost makes me want to really listen to some Perfect Circle.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
    Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Looking at Chester strictly from a technical point of view, ignoring his lyrics (as far as I know that doesn't actually have much bearing on whether you're a good singer or not) and the fact that he isn't always able to replicate his studio performance perfectly (I'm wracking my brain and it's hard to think of vocalists who are good singers and are capable of being dead on 100% of the time), who is there from a big rock band who has the same range and versatility as him? About the only person I can think of is Brandon Boyd. Come to think of it he is actually a better live singer, but there is surely a much lower proportion of Incubus songs that involve really aggressive vocals.
    That's another thing that has to be taken into account for Chester's voice not being up to scratch as often - the style of vocals used in a lot of Linkin Park songs. There have to be at least 70% that involve more aggressive vocals and screaming. There are various other vocalists such as Chino Moreno who's voices have suffered as a result of the same sort of thing.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

I wouldn't say it's embarassing. I'm not arguing that Chester is a good singer. Or even great for that matter, but one of the top five? Not in my eyes.

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

"i think" means in my opinion and id very much appereciate if you didnt talk down to me by referreing to me as "kid"
    i take everyone's opinion in account so why dont you :sleep:

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

Amen. Also agree with the rest of your post, but it was kind of long to quote.

Did I miss John Frusciante and Johnny Marr on the list of greatest guitarists?
    I mean, I understand why John Frusciante wouldn't make the list in a way, but Johnny Marr?

I do agree these lists are based on huge bands only and I think bands today are dwarfed a lot more. Certainly bands like Radiohead or Coldplay are equally popular among young people than those old bands.

They generally avoid the indie world too, that's kind of fair, but it wouldn't hurt.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

James Mercer should be on a 100 top list for best lyricist haha.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

It's not like we're bagging out LP, it's just...there's better bands out there. I don't like Hedrix and the Beetles very much but I respect their music.

And yes it is :)

Ok, sorry dude.

I do. It's just a very opinionated topic.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
    Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Just remember I did say top 5 of this era.
    Just curious, if you limited yourself to the last 10-15 years, who would you say?

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

Maynard James keenan
    Trent Reznor
    Chris Cornell
    Dave Grohl
    Billie Joe Armstrong

And I don't necessarily like the bands they are in but I think they have made much more of an impact than Chester has, personally.

Neotriple

Neotriple LPA VIP LPA VIP

I'll agree with Possibly Dave Grohl and DEFINATELY Chris Cornell.

But do you really think Trent can outsing Chester? Trent keeps his voice to a limited range, and he NAILS it, which is great, but how far high does he go compared to someone like Chester who is constantly singing in a higher voice.

Maynard has great range too, but once again, I think his range of voice is quite limited compared to some of the others.

There are definately people with higher ranges than Chester in the rock business, but he's quite good is all I'm saying.

With Chester I feel he has a great range and can do anything from slower music (My December) to stuff with Camp Freddy.

And Billie Joe Armstrong? I can't really see him as being a ...great vocalist. He's cool, I love Green Day, but is he really that talented of a vocalist to be deemed the top 5?

I agree those vocalists have definately had a greater impact, but does that represent vocal prowess? Kobain had a great impact on the musical world, and he was definately talented, but a top 100 guitarist? Really?
    I may be minunderstanding these charts in terms of 'greatest guitarists' versus 'most impact', and I'm pretty sure Kobain is in there because he has had such a widespread impact, but I think that would be more in the 'musically-inclined' category (if they had one) rather than 'great guitar player'. I'm kind of torn between that that choice, but what I"m trying to basically say here is that impact doesn't equate into pure 'skill'.

NOW, there are also other vocalists that were robbed bigger than Chester, and I'm definately biased TOWARDS him. And I really like Trent Reznor, Maynard and Nine Inch Nails and Tool/APC, they're one of my most favorite bands ever. However, to say their vocalists are some of the best of their time I think would be a...stretch.

I'd put guys like the guy from Opeth (Someone mentioned him earlier)

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Maynard i think has a good voice, so yeah i guess so but we've had arguments in this thread on him already.

Trent Reznor i fucking love, and i love how much emotion he puts into his vocals. But his range isn't all that impressive enough to be top five of the last 10-15 years. Although it wouldn't really suit much of his music if he sang higher.

Chris Cornell i agree with.

Dave Grohl i'm eh on. He has the same problem as Chester that when he goes higher his voice gets a bit [insert word i'm thinking here that i've forgotten but someone should be able to fill me in]. Although he has much more power in his voice than Chester.

Billie Joe Armstrong i have no idea what he's doing there.

For me, i haven't much idea who I'd pick for the last 10-15 years since my favourite music is, for the most part, picked on the goodness of the music, not the vocals.

Which is why i pick Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt, solely because they are good singers and have great intelligent music underneath them which makes them sound even better.

Daniel

Daniel Run for your life. LPA Super Member

Hayley Williams. Shut up, I'm being serious. :lol:
    Jesse Leach
    Howard Jones
    Mikael Akerfeldt
    Greg Puciato

And from a purely range-oriented point of view, Oliver Sykes. I'm not just being a fanboy, I'm just saying that while his voice might not be...appealing, his range is pretty varied.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
    Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

At Oli Sykes: :lol: I've really only listened to BMTH once (my opinion of them then is another story that apparently i'm not allowed to post) and all i heard was his high shriek screams. So i guess maybe, that's high range but... :lol: if that was the case i'd post every possible Black Metal screamer.

BUT as i said i only listened to BMTH once, does he sing too?

Hi-five for Mikael Akerfeldt!

And yes Howard Jones is a great vocalist. BUT Jesse Leach whilst his screams are much better (imo) than Howard Jones' his singing voice is a bit weak.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Mike Patton
    Chris Cornell
    Morrissey
    Jeff Buckley
    Jake Bannon