Tomb Raider: Legend Reviews/Thoughts

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Derek, Feb 24, 2006.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Blame Friskey for this but he influenced me to make a new thread about the upcoming Tomb Raider game, Tomb Raider: Legend. My previous threads were about the game when it was very early in production..but now with the Xbox/PS2 versions being confirmed for release in April (7th - UK, 11th - US and other countries) and the PC/Xbox 360/PSP versions coming soon after...it's time to make a new thread!

From here on in, I will be making posts about the game and showing you pre-release impressions about the game before it comes out. All you have to do is just keep replying so I don't have to double post all the time! Well here goes :D. This was pretty tiring to make so please reply if you're even half interested in the game :p.

---
    Screenshots

Xbox 360 (Still In Beta Stage)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PC Version (About Same Stage As 360)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS2 Version

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Xbox Version

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PSP Version

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ----
    Latest Videos

PS2

[​IMG]

^^No sound.

Xbox 360

[​IMG]

---
    PREVIEW HYPE

"It was hard not to be totally overwhelmed with excitement by the whole thing" PLAY

"Tomb Raider Legend will mark a triumphant return to form for the series"
    go>PLAY

"Lara's definately in the right hands. This is one of the best-looking [PS2] games we've seen and the gameplay rivals the visuals for excellence"
    Official UK PS2 Magazine

"Against all expectations, we're massively excited about new Raider...we're expecting great things" PSM2

"Tomb Raider has been successfully restored to its former glory" Gamesmaster

"Tomb Raider Legend still has that elusive charm to it...Crystal Dynamics has made the game both beautiful to look at and a potential beauty to play"
    IGN.com

"Tomb Raider: Legend looks almost certain to be Miss Croft's finest hour"
    GameSpot.com
    --
    Official Model For Legend: Karima Adebibe (<33)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Next two shots are swimsuit...may be offensive to younger viewers)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    --
    And finally..The Official Voice Actress for Lara is:

29 Yr-Old BBC "Spooks" Actress Keely Hawes

[​IMG]

"British actress Keeley Hawes has replaced Jonell Elliot as the brand new voice of Lara Croft. The 29-year-old star of British TV drama Spooks and Macbeth will voice the role of Eidos' globe-trotting adventurer in Tomb Raider Legend, now under the aegis of Crystal Dynamics.

Original Lara Croft voice-over artists Shelley Blond and Judith Gibbins were replaced by Jonell Elliot in 1999 for the release of Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation. Jonell kept the role her own until 2002 and the release of The Angel Of Darkness, the final Tomb Raider adventure helmed by Core Design.

Tomb Raider Legend will see esteemed cyber-heroine Lara Croft pit her wits against an old nemesis as she traverses the globe in search of an ancient artifact. The Eidos title will debut across European territories April 7 and across North America April 11. "
    ======

WHEW. That was a lot of work! Please post your impressions on the game as a thank you for my hard work :D.

Sources:

http://www.trcentral.net (I work there!)
    http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/
    http://www.gamesradar.com
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=159

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

I thought we already had a thread like this? Ah well, this one's better anyways. Good work, Derek.

Derek

It was very very ancient and out of date.

Don't comment on the thread though..say what you think about the game people! lol

*EDIT* Fixed the link for the first image :).

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Yes, good work Derek. Really good work. :lol:

I'm really looking forward to the game, there's so many promising aspects for Legend that it's hard not to. I don't think I've heard one negative thing about it. Roll on April.

Derek

Hopefully this game earns over a 9 in the reviews. Tomb Raider really needs to return back to the greatness of the first game.

It really upset me how Core Design just let the series go and made sequels using the same engine that got worse as they went on.

This is the TR2 everyone always wanted...and with the butler making a grand return..it basically IS the true Tomb Raider 1 sequel in my eyes :).

Joe

Is there any news on Lara's Mansion returning to the game? That would just finish it off right there.

Derek

Tomb Raider wouldn't be TR without her lovely mansion, so I am pleased to tell you that the answer to your question isssssss...............yes. :)

The mansion is now located at Cornwall, England (part of the change in 'reinventing' the series) and will be selectable separtely through the main menu..just like in the old days. The mansion is apparentely an area for lara to test her skills and also..surprisingly enough to view goodies you have unlocked during the game.

Apparentely, secrets are not only back but are there for you to unlock rewards for finding them during the game. Lara is set to have over 20 outfits during the game, and many of them..will be unlockable and able to be changed into at her manor. Of course..im sure she will change outfits much in the style of GTA..so dont get any ideas you perverted bastards ;).

Naturally..Lara now also has a room lined with computers and tech devices where her two new buddies (Zip and Alistair) as well as her trusty butler Winston, will talk to her through her headset while she is on her various adventures during the game.

Basically...the mansion is bigger, better and just plain kickass from what we were told. Also..if you own an Xbox..you can put custom tunes on Lara's jukebox through the Xbox's harddrive feature. Lucky you :p.

Any more questions? As you can tell I'm an expert on Legend.

Joe

I think I just went happy in my pants. No wait. I did go happy in my pants. :eek:hmy:

Also, Cornwall? Haha, that's great. I might take a road trip up there to try and hunt this bad boy down.

Derek

While the original Tomb Raider mansion was based off of the Hatfield House in the UK..I'm not quite sure if her new house is based off of an actual house..although we will have to truly wait and see. There was a building in the first trailer ever released that had beaches..and since Cornwall is known for its beaches..one can only speculate.

Another thing I forgot to say is that this game will have three difficulty levels (a first for the series) and weapon upgrades..which is also another first for the series.

Any more questions minions? I'm sure you gotta be curious about something.

Tomi

Tomi &nbsp; LPA Addict

Damn, this looks impressive. I wonder how the PSP version will be compared to the rest.

I can't wait. ^_^

Derek

If you weren't all hyped already..IGN has revealed the first actual footage of the 360 version in action. This revealed a lot of impressive previously unknown aspects of the game such as controllable hangliding/parachuting (something previously only seen in FMVs in MGS3), communicatable NPCs and Lara's interaction with the countless diversified environments.

Not to mention you get to see the sexy Karima Adebibe in action ;).

Worth a look (select the Karima Adebibe Interview): http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/735/735841/vids_1.html

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

She sure does fit the personality (Not to say that she's hot as well...because she is :lol:)

I got a good feeling that this game will rock. Haven't played much Tomb Raider, but this looks promising.

Derek

I hope this is the game that makes haters/doubters think twice.

Lara has been in need of a strong title. Hopefully this turns out to be one of 2006's best.

But like I said? Any questions? :p. We need to keep this thread alive.

Tomi

Tomi &nbsp; LPA Addict

Any more PSP screens?

Derek

Well...Eidos loves ya Tomi because they released a plethora of new screens on all formats today.

Although..please be advised the PSP version apparentely looks a lot better in motion as the PSP is not set up to take screenshots (without patching) and thus the colors turn out a little incorrect/washed out.

Either way they're still fuckin great for a handheld.

PSP Screens

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Xbox 360 Screens (FRom same build as last screens)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS2/Xbox Screens

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

----------------------

AND FINALLY...EUROPEAN PS2 BOXART (Whether or not this is final is not yet known..but check out the Tokyo city in the bottom screen..looks huge :O.)

[​IMG][​IMG]

All I can say is... (w00t)(w00t)(w00t)

Tomi

Tomi &nbsp; LPA Addict

Orgasmic.

Derek

Hahahahaa. Quite :p.

Starting to see some of these locales I'm kinda struggling to not get too excited cause its hard. I think this game may be greater than the sum of its parts or...greater then just a Tomb Raider game.

Every location is supposed to be rather explorable with several off routes you can take..some leading to secrets.

So I think this game could be better then we think it's gonna be if its done right :|.

Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

When is the Demo coming out?

Derek

See..here's where everyone is getting extremely confused. The 'consumer PS2 demo' (admittingly from an earlier build so not quite as polished as the final product thats coming out soon) is making it's rounds around magazine publications. The reaction to the early demo is actually pretty good and was enough to get them wanting thier hands on the final product.

However..going off of a quote from 1UP they said its coming to OPM in April. Now we don't know if that means the April issue (next month), or actually IN April which would be stupid cause that's when the game is coming out, so that doesnt sound right.

But who knows..my guess would be sometime next month, but for all we know we could be playing the final product before the demo.

Derek

Instead of getting someone to reply everytime I don't wanna double post I'm just gonna post with updates, regardless of replies. Sound good? Thought so.
    ---

Eidos Reveals First PS2 Shots of Tokyo

Content to leave nothing a surprise about this game (ha ha) Eidos has revealed yet another location from the game, Tokyo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apparentely you start the level out with a beyond the knee dress, hiding your weapons until hell breaks loose. Lara then ducks behind a counter, rips off the lower part of her dress to reveal her guns and the rest is history.

Personally I think it's just an excuse to show off Lara's lace undergarments but..ehh what can you do?