Tomb Raider: Legend Reviews/Thoughts

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Derek, Feb 24, 2006.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

So...who in the UK actually bought the game/rented it yet? It was out on the 7th.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

My brother's got it. I've played the first two missions so far, and they're fun, but a tad straight-forward. Hopefully it gets more challenging.

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

It got an 88% in GamesMaster Magazine which is my bible & I have the game. I'll be playing that bad boy tonight & tomorrow as I have no work or college til Wednesday. Yay.

Derek

I'd seriously recommend Hard mode (if it doesnt require an unlock) and taking your time to explore the environments and look for secrets Joe. I've heard its far more rewarding that way :).

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Well I've started to play & so far so good. I'm playing on hard too and I'm glad I did because at the minute it hasn't been that difficult at all really. I'll have this game finished by tonight or tomorrow at the latest. Good stuff.

Jakks

Jakks Point 0

Should be hopefully getting this tomorrow, I havent played a Tomb Raider game since number 3, so has a lot changed ?

Derek

Tons. I'd recommend researching the vast changes this game has undergone.

Shame it's so short and easy. It seems to be a really great game but there's so many threads on Eidos boards bitching about the length that it's crazy.

Hopefully tr8 is very long.

Friskey™

Friskey™ LPA Super Member LPA Addict

7.8 from Gamespot.

Tomb Raider: Legend is a brief but fun adventure that just about anyone can enjoy.

Derek

Fuck gamespot.

Every other place (IGN, Gamesmaster, OPM and more) have given it 8 to 9's out of ten and yet Gamespot gave it below an 8. Gamespot have never truly respected the TR series, so to see such a score from them is of no surprise to me.

Also, I've never heard anyone complain about the framerate. If anything the game runs really smoothly except for 1080i tv resolutions (which crystal is working to patch at the moment anyways).

Screw GS and their Tomb Raider grudge. Everyone who's played it says it deserves AT LEAST an 8.5.

Dean

I could've met Karima Adibebe at Gamestation today, but I just bought Oblivion and left because my friend didn't turn up.

Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

I'm considering buying this at some point. I played on a demo i got with my OPS2 magazine yesterday and fell in love with the game which is weird 'cause i really don't like the TR games that much. I'll buy it after my exams when it's come down in price

Derek

If you're not a totally 1337 gamer (I'm not) this game can take you longer then what people say, especially if you take your time.

I'm at level 4/9 (not counting the mansion) and its already taken me 7 hours.

This game is really beautiful on the PS2. Especially the mansion. It deserves way higher than that 7.8 and I urge you to buy it or at least rent it for a few days..ITS AWESOME :D.

Jakks

Jakks Point 0

Picked up a copy of Monday, got 2 free posters with it as well which was nice, great game, so far I'm on level 3 which has taken me around 3 1/2hrs

Tempted to go and install TR2 on my PC after Ive finished :p

Derek

I just love the little comments zip and alister make. On hard I've noticed they barely talk at all but when they do its humorous.

Especially when you bug zip in the Mansion:

"Stalking another ex-girlfriend are we Zip?".

Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

It took me about half an hour to get past the bit i played in the demo. Where you have to get those boxes onto those switches to open that door. Did my head in lol, but not as much as the other games. The control system is miles better. Yeah it's gorgeous on the PS2. I want to buy it just for the mansion. The butler in the mansion just makes the game complete.

Derek

Sadly the butler doesn't really talk to you or do much when you're in the mansion. He's rather silent compared to your buddies and doesn't really follow you around.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Tomb Raider: Legend or Bejewled 2? What shall I play?

:D

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Well, here's my my poorly written review:

WARNING: Might contain minor gameplay spoilers. I don't know, really.

Considering the last Tomb Raider game I actually played was Tomb Raider 2, I have to say this is a good upgrade. However, I wouldn't say this is "Buy or Die!" material... I hate to say it.

Now... before Derek or anyone gets on my back, let me explain. The one thing I cannot stand is the camera. You'd think with titles like Prince of Persia and perhaps even Shadow of the Colosus, titles that play into the platform genre, they'd take some time with the camera. It took me longer than expected for me and I have to say... it's because of the camera. Having played games that have advanced the genre since Tomb Raider last graced our consoles, it's hard for me to have to revert to basically how it was in the older titles (movement dictated by camera position). It's much better than it was back then, but it doesn't change the fact I fell a lot because the camera would get stuck between Lara and a wall, or it'd do a 180 jump automatically to choose the best angle, but ultimately causing me to fall to my death when trying to make a jump.

Aside from that, I have to complain about one more thing... The mansion. I was looking foreword to the mansion so badly, and I even said I'd buy the game for just that alone. I hate to say it, but the mansion isn't what I thought it could have been. I love the design, though... It's absolutely beautiful, but it's just way too simplistic and lacks a number of things to do as there used to be (what happened to going outside?! :(), so therefore I was a bit disappointed.

Other than these little flaws, the game is absolutely beautiful. It's much more massive, the environments are breath taking, and the story is great. Some of the puzzles and that bit of "free form" in terms of getting over an obstacle was great, and the hook really surprised me in terms of how you could use it.

All in all, I have to say that this game is good. It's not what I expected and that's both a good and bad thing. It's good in the sense that it exceeded some of my expectations, but bad in the sense of some of the textures and gameplay confusing/frustrating me... I really hated the interactive cinematics and transitions because I'm so used to watching a cinematic/cut scene and not playing it... So I'd die every now and then because of that so quickly, it'd leave me wondering, "What the hell just happened?" Also, the bike missions as well as the timing missions were a bit tedious, but good additions nonetheless.

So in conclusion, I'd say this would be an 8 or so. It's good, but could be better. I will admit one thing: If this is any indication of how CD will lead the possible future Tomb Raider games, then they have my respect and support. With the revamp of almost every aspect of this game (especially that weapon! ... those who finished the game know what I'm talking about... ;)), they have succeeded in giving the series the boost it needed, and if they continue to work on the additions they've made, perhaps give us a bigger mansion next time :)lol:) and a bit more freedom, this could be almost flawless.

I'll be waiting for the price tag to drop a bit before I buy it, but I urge people to play it. The gameplay is solid, the environments are beautiful and the story is good. A bit short, and replay value may not be for everyone, but it deserves at least a rental.

It gets an 8/10 from me.

Dean

For my review, I will take part of Keaton's, change the last part, add a verdict and apply it to the whole game.

I love the design. It's absolutely beautiful, but it's just way too simplistic... and why the hell weren't there any dinosaurs like in the first 3?
    I'd give it about 6.5/10. It's a step in the right direction, but it's too simplistic, especially the combat. To kill most of the enemies you just hold down the fire button and roll around. It's a step in the right direction though, and the next one should be good, but for now you could probably get all 3 Prince Of Persia games for around the same price.