Unremovable Spyware?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Kæton, Nov 18, 2007.

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Okay so yesterday out of nowhere some spyware was installed on my PC. One of the components it installed was a "Security Toolbar 7.1" in IE, which along with the little icon/bubbles at the bottom right side of my screen, continues to spew psudo-security BS warnings my way (they don't even spell "private" or "balloon" correctly). I Googled the problem, and nothing people suggest is working. The main problem seems to be that this thing is loaded/created everytime explorer.exe is loaded. I know that explorer is important. However, I used SUPERAntiSpyware and AVG, which both caught it and supposedly deleted/quarantined it, but yet it still remains. I even used Smitfraudfix (I think that's what it's called) to no avail. Thing is even showing up in safe mode, so despite loading my PC that way, I'm still getting the messages. The only thing that doesn't load are the Internet browsers that pop up every few minutes. What really kind of bugs me is this thing got past Firefox... I thought people said when you move to Firefox this stuff stops?! Ugh. If there's any definitive program that'll work (I'm tired of downloading program after program), can anyone let me know?

My last resort would be transferring all my files to my external harddrive (can this be done in safe mode?) and just re-installing Windows... but if I can avoid having to do that, I'd like to take that route.

Anyways, anyone mind helping me out here?

Thanks.

Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

All I can recommend is posting a hijack this log to Daniweb (a techie website I frequent whenever I have problems). Seems like the problem is not specific to IE.

I'm assuming you've already done a system restore?

Kæton

I read doing a system restore with an infection like this wouldn't do anything. I'll try it though.

What's surprising though is my problem seems very uncommon... All the answers I've found so far suggest that in safe mode, this thing wouldn't load, but alas, it loads in safe mode.

But thanks Omar, I'll go to Daniweb if nothing else works.

Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

They're usually very good at diagnosising these sorts of issues. Hope everything gets squared away. :)

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Reboot in safe mode, remove any cords/disable wireless adapter bringing internet to your computer, run the spyware removal program in safe mode, remove the spyware, reboot in regular mode.

Should work.

Reflectionist

Reflectionist Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

I've got this same problem on my computer, so if you find a solution, let me know.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

"I thought people said when you move to Firefox this stuff stops?! Ugh. If there's any definitive program that'll work (I'm tired of downloading program after program), can anyone let me know?"

It didn't install through firefox. Most spyware comes in via ActiveX which isn't exploitable in firefox, it must have been bundled with something you installed.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Honestly, I'd just back up your stuff, wipe your hard drive and reinstall Windows. Some of this crap gets installed so deep inside the OS that it's almost impossible to get back to a fully clean state. We see this at work all the time and systems like this just end up getting rebuilt from scratch because there's no way to get them 100% clean

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I actually back everything up and do a clean Windows install about once a year for this very reason. Plus it's always awesome to see how much faster everything runs on a fresh install too.

Kæton

@Mark: Safe mode doesn't stop the infection from loading. It loads whenever explorer.exe is loaded. For example, certain programs that end explorer's task also removes the pop-ups, however once explorer is launched again, the pop-ups return. I'm going to try unplugging it from the Internet though.

@Neil: Are you sure? The last program I used yesterday aside from Firefox was Photoshop, except when I loaded IE to test a design. I haven't installed anything for awhile now nor have I visited any websites that sport such vicious ads. I could be wrong, but considering it came out of nowhere yesterday after accessing my brower(s), I assumed it bypassed pretty much everything that was slated to "protect" my PC from these type of attacks.

Thanks for the help though guys. Much appreciated. :)

edit: I'm just going to reinstall windows all together. But again, thanks to everyone who helped. I really appreciate it!

Reflectionist

How much is an external Hard Drive?

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Depends on how big you want. Some are under $100. Some are $400.

Reflectionist

oh...

Well, I've got some pretty important files on mine, but I definitely don't want all of them to continue if I decide to reinstall windows... so i'm thinking about 50 Gigs... is that a lot?

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Dude, 50 gigs?! That's HUGE!

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Eh?

When your basic hard drive is like 80-100 gigs?

Kæton

My external harddrive is 250GB. It cost a couple hundred dollars. It was definitely worth it though since I've used 80GB alone on just my work (yeah, production files are huge. :lol:)... great investment if you're constantly working on important projects.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

Do a windows restore back 5 days or something before you completely reinstall.

Kæton

Thanks for the warning. Is there anything else I should know before reinstalling? This will be first time I'm doing it on my own so if there's anything else I should know, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. :)

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

First time you're installing windows? I do it at least 4-5 times a year :lol:

Anyway, you can avoid buying a new hard drive if you split the one you have into two partitons.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

I have 2 500GB harddrives, 1 320GB and 1 60GB. ;)