Vegetarians

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Mark, Jul 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I was inspired by some recent posts and a very wise man who refers to himself as 'Maddox' to write this.

Many think that by cutting off their supply of meat and boning up on eating vegetables and fruits helps save the animal kingdom, eh? They couldn't be more wrong.

Every year, millions of free-roaming animals are killed during the harvest of your vegetables that they've claimed as their only food source. Rats, field mice, voles, and many other species of rodents, even birds! By buying these vegetables, they give more money to the farmers that slaughter these animals. And these animals endure even more pain than a humane spike through the throat to a cow! Their bodies are mangled in the combines, putting them through unbearable torture. Let me ask you this question; if you were to choose which way to die; would it be through swift shot to the head, or by being fed through a woodchipper?

Another thing is that lots of bigger animals (elk, deer, antelopes, etc) are killed every year through permitted hunting because they pose a threat to crops. The only way you could ever stop the killing of animals in order for you to get food is if you bought some land, planted your crops by hand, and then picked them yourself without any machinery. Or just give up eating food, but then you'd die within a matter of days. That isn't exactly realistic, right? Vegetarianism is a complete contradiction of what people stand for.

Oh, and this isn't meant to antagonize anyone who is a vegetarian. It's merely a message that what you think you're preventing is only pursuing the problem. Don't shoot the messenger, please.

Check out Maddox's rant on this here.

Scarlet

Scarlet Well-Known Member

I didn't read the whole article but I just want to say that I'm not a vegeterian.

I just want to know, for the people that are vegeterians, are there different reasons why people are vegeterians or is it because of the same cause ("to save the animal kingdom")?

Mark

Very good point. I didn't think of that.

This is for those of you who are vegetarians to try to save animals. Not for those of you who are trying to eat healty with all the problems with meat nowadays. That's absolutely fine.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

I used to be a vegetarian a few years ago.

Canadian Joe

Canadian Joe Bacon strips LPA Super VIP

One of Maddox's best quotes:

"For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three"

:lol:

I found that site about a year ago...it truely is "the best page in the universe"...

:chemist:

LinkinJunior

LinkinJunior LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

I never tried being a Vegeterian.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

yeah, being a vegetarian to save animals is pointless, if all 3,150 LPA members stopped eating meat as of tonight, there wouldn't be any fewer animals killed

ChooseYourPoison

ChooseYourPoison nymphetamine

I don't know when people are just going to accept it. Cows, deer, whatever meat humans may eat was put on this earth to provide humans with food. It's the foodchain. It's how things work, okay? And really, you DO need meat in your body to help you stay healthy. My stepsister was vegetarian, and she got sick, a lot. People just need to accept it, we need food.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I don't get straight-edge vegeterians or vegans. I kinda agree with HybridMinoda; animals probably weren't put on this planet to provide humans food but eating meat is natural nontheless. And I don't hear about animals being frowned upon for eating meat.

EDIT: Also, why the hell do some vegetarians still eat fish? Are they not part of the animal kingdom? Or is it because they aren't cute like lambs or chicks?

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Exactly. No one gets pissed off when a lion attacks a gazelle, so why should people get pissed when a human kills a cow humanely for its meat?

rosanna

rosanna Well-Known Member

i am not a vegetarian. and i feel bad for all the cows and piggies that i eat, but i think that as long as i am not the one killing it, then i am not responsible for its being killed. i do not have to eat meat, and i know that, so if there is suddenly a cow shortage it would not kill me.

i have friends that are vegetarians...but then again i also have friends that say they are vegetarians but go to mcdonalds for a big juicy quarter pounder.

i feel bad for the animals that die, but my stopping of meat consumption is not going to stop other people from eating meat, so the animals are going to die anyway.

Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

My friend actually used to be a vegetarian.. hopefully she'll read this I guess but that's a very very good point I never thought of that.

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

Being vegetarian cause you don't like meat is OK. Being vegetarian because you don't want to kill the animals is simply WRONG.

And the hardcore vegetarians that don't eat anything that comes from animals (milk, cheese and such) have a problem...

The food chain isn't so without a reason.

Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

My aunty and uncle are vegetarian but my uncle has gone veggie because eating meat made him ill and my aunty i think just doesn't like eating meat. They're not doing it to 'save the animal kingdom' atal.

I don't particularly enjoy eating lamb and such but it tastes nice and it's needed and if someone doesn't eat them then as Maddox says, they will get killed anyway.

Maëlle

Maëlle I've seen it all

I think people who think that killing animals to eat them never think about two things:

1- First of all, haunting is good 'cause if we didn't kill animals, there'd be way too much on earth, so if we kill them, why not eat them?!

2- I don't think Humans would have evoluated the way they did if they had been vegetarian since forever.

emmmers

emmmers Super Member LPA Super Member

Most people are vegetarians because it's their religion. I'm pretty positive I read that somewhere.

Alacrity

Alacrity don't stop talking to me; i haven't been listening LPA Super Member

I am a vegetarian and I barely get sick at all. I just don't prefer meat and how many problems there are with it these days (recalls, etc). It just isn't my cup of tea, I suppose. I do occasionally eat meat though, only hot dogs and like ground beef in tacos. Those are like the only cases I can tolerate it.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Who has tea with meat? :lol:

:p

Mark

Who has tea with meat? :lol:

:p [/b][/quote]
    Civilized lions.

Cassie

Cassie The time to hesitate is through.

Most people are vegetarians because it's their religion. I'm pretty positive I read that somewhere. [/b][/quote]
    Religion, economics, personal decisions...

I made the decision to become a pollo vegetarian (I eat veggies and fruit, milk products and only chicken) because I don't really care for other meats. Plus I'm quite concerned for the animals and their rights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.