What genres should LP experiment with next album?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Delicious Dave, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Suffered

Suffered All we need is faith

Well IMO they fucked up Lost In The Echo as a whole. They made an amazing New-Age style song what could've be a great, long, experimental song. And the final result is a generic Nu-Metal track with 20% more electronic stuff. The chorus melody is actually fucking catchy and the synth is catchy as hell too but the whole song is ruined for me. But I see what you ment.

2. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I though I already pointed out LITE is not nu metal...not even close....Mike mixtape was a good representation of what nu metal was. And I don't see any similarities between Mike's mixtape and LITE.

However, LITE not being nu metal doesn't make it a better song, and I can understand how some could not like it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  3. Suffered

It is Nu-Metal. I has everything what a Nu-Metal song has. It's better then most of the Nu-Metal songs but I still don't like it.

4. Qwerty19

An important thing to be nu-metal is to be at least a little metal. Except for the screams, LITE is as far from metal than U2 is. Have you ever heard nu metal guitars? Now compare them to LITE guitars and you'll get my point. Having rapping and screaming in a song doesn't make it nu metal.

I mean...how could LITE belong to the same genre as this song for example?

[video=youtube;kcHSCCE0w8U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcHSCCE0w8U[/video]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

LITE is pretty much a carbon copy of the band's earlier sound, only updated slightly to fit in more with this era's musical punching bag.

6. Geki

Geki >.

This is why LITE is awesome. Also why am I so glad LP made LT the way that it is.

7. jare0674

jare0674 There's a seat here along side me...

I thought that LITE was a perfect reimagining of old school LP with their new sound. I don't want LP to every go back to their old sound but I think that every album should have that one throwback song that mixes old school LP with their current sound at the time like BIO, W&K and LITE.

8. ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

Use a nu-metal song to define nu-metal.

Just because you polish a turd..

9. Qwerty19

Lol sorry, but Korn's debut album is widely knowd for having started nu-metal. You can't get more nu-metal than Korn if you ask me. I'm not saying that it is a bad thing, Korn debut was great!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  10. ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

Their debut was made possible by riding the coattails of the Seattle scene.

11. Suffered

I'm comparing LITE's Nu-Metal sound to Linkin Park's Old-School Nu-Metal style, not Korn's. It has heavy, distorted guitar..it just the mixing why we can't hear it. It's is not a bad song, but the demo sounded much better and the lyrics is REALLY like the old skool LP........And the lyrics is the main problem IMO in the song. But the synth saved me the song.

12. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Oh boyyy yet another innocent thread that has dissolved into harassing Lost in the Echo...

I don't know how many times I have to bring it up but calling Lost in the Echo nu-metal because of the heavily distorted guitar is like calling Lies Greed Misery dub step because of the "wah wah" beat - which is almost as absurd as calling Castle of Glass country (which I've seen people compare).

Burn it Down has a catchy, soaring synth? It must sound just like Numb!

I'll Be Gone has a loud alternative guitar riff? It must be What I've Done part 2!!

Also basing what LITE could have sounded like off a few seconds of a demo is pretty ignorant. Especially stating it would definitely have a unique and experimental structure. For all you know Holding Company could have ended up worse.

On the topic of the thread - I would love to see a song from the band that starts off soft and calm (acoustic anybody?) and builds overtime until it climaxes into an extremely heavy ending with Chester screaming his lungs out and layers of powerful guitars and synths creating an overwhelming presence. Make it a longer track too so it has time to grow and develop ala The Catalyst/The Little Things. Essentially an even more fleshed out Blackout in reverse.

Oh and less of a reliance on Mike's computer. Bring back the raw organic instruments.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  13. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

There's pointing out the obvious similarities in songs written by a band that takes pride in attempting to never repeat itself and there's slamming your ears against your head while yelling, "The lyrics are different and the synth isn't the exact same preset. It's not derivative!"

14. RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

In my opinion, LITE was a deliberate attempt to mix their old sound with their new synth-heavy influences. I guess its the closest they got to that HT/Meteora sound in a while, but they DELIBERATELY wanted to do that.. :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  15. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

One critic called LITE's guitars "video games metal"... I agree with him. It's far from heavy.

16. Qwerty19

I agree with this

17. mastae

mastae Some Honky

Despite all of these claims over genres, I think we can agree that LT was LP's "safest" record since Meteora.

The album attempted to pine to all facets of the LP fan base in a struggle to create an "LP Summation" record (which seems like quite an antithetical concept for LP). Immediately after it's release, everyone recognized a shift in the style at about Castle of Glass.

The first half of the record attempted to appeal to LP's 'rock' fan base while not completely falling back on their old sound, even though it is within the context of their old formula. They couldn't go back completely, because they'd be going back on their word, and that'd look weak, but at the same time, they wanted to do something that modernized that sound. They needed a strong hook for a song, which was related more with their old work, so they did Burn It Down which is why it's compared to Numb, New Divide, Crawling, etc. It's just a modernized version of their old formula.

The second half of the record attempted to appeal to LP's "experimental" fan base, but to a point where it almost feels like a caricature of itself. I, personally, love Until It Breaks, but can see why it's such a polarized track, because when they said it was a cramming of four demos, you can really tell it was just a cramming of four demos.

Leave that with Castle of Glass to bridge the gap by means of adding folk influence into a short, single ready song whose potential feels somewhat squandered (seriously, imagine a 4-5 minute Castle of Glass... it could've had such a good build up).

While they took some chances with the latter half, within the context of LP's career, this has, by far, been the most "safe" record since Meteora, which is why I found the record to be somewhat of a disappointment (my first one from LP). Throughout the entire album, I was thinking, "Okay... this is good... but they can do better." It's not that none of the tracks on LT are excellent, it's just that, when I listen to them, it's like there's this potential, and then the song just ends. I felt I was listening to a lot of potential with no actualization.

Hopefully, they won't belittle themselves by being comfortable on the next record.

18. Arjun

Arjun Comin' at you from every side!!!!

I'd like to see mike do some aggressive vocals/singing (not screams lol). i dont care what else they do but what they need for the next album is a better mixer. Manny pretty much messed up Living Things.

19. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Leave the aggressive singing to Chester. Mike's vocals are unique because he reaches levels of solemnity that Chester can't, or hasn't yet fully displayed.

20. Suffered

Well, Mike can/could scream or growl or something like that. He did scream/growl in the early performances of By Myself in the last "stuck on the outside" in the bridge. Milan 2001 is a good example. And he did "scream" in QWERTY in Summer Sonic. But agree with Faint into Pieces. Mike adds that deepness and darkness in a song what Chester can't. And that's why he's good.