What kind of music video do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by RyRy, Jun 18, 2013.

?

What kind of music video do you prefer?

1. The band plays the song and never leave the screen

5.6%
  2. The band plays the song with a few scenes that add to the lyrics/story

55.6%
  3. The band has little to no involvement with the video and never is seen

11.1%
  4. I don't care about music videos

27.8%
    RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Do you prefer a video with the band straight up playing the song (example, Nine Inch Nails' "March of the Pigs"), the band playing while some scenes provide extra story (example, Alice In Chains "Stone"), or a video where the band has little to no involvement with and is completely it's own film (example, Linkin Park's "Lost in the Echo")

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
    Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

The band plays the song with a few scenes that add to the lyrics/story

Castle of Glass-y.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I always like to see the artist in the video, even if they don't perform. But, if there are to be both performance and "story" elements, they need to be combined as smoothly as possible for a cohesive result. That's what really matters to me, that different elements work well and, importantly, work well together, resulting in something which is greater than the sum of its parts.

Anyway, I prefer vibes or moods to full-on plotlines. Even simple performance videos should provide moods.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I generally like what fits the song the most.

Sometimes when I'm listening to music there are songs that have like an "evident" story to me, I picture it in my head and everything, so when they release the video and is artist-only or something along that I get really disappointed, because I felt like the song had a lot of potential.

It happened to me with "Already Gone" from Kelly Clarkson and many other videos.

I don't really like videos where the artist has no involvement whatsoever, when that happens I feel like the music is just a background track.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
    RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

With both of your replies, I realized there are too many exceptions and such to be able to label what you like in a music video only by the three options I put... Well, I failed. :timothy:

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

EDIT: alright, fine - don't post your favourite music videos of 2013 so far.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

A) is often uninteresting.

B) is often the best option because it doesn't let the fans down while adding up to the lyrics/story, as you've said. Also, when the band themselves are involved, that can be great.

C) is often disappointing to the fans, but is better than just the band performing because of the adding up to the lyrics/story again.

Also, some songs have lyric videos as their official music videos, which I find lazy.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I like artistic approaches. So long as they aren't cheesy.

Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

I like the ones with so little of the band but not too little.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I like the ones which are fucked up, either in a weird way or a psychedelic way, or in a stupid and hilarous way, or which are so bad they become good. Those makes me feels something, they either amuse me or intriguate me.

On the other side, I'm not really a fan of all those "modern" videos where a band/MC/singer/... is just showing his face and his way to move. And those with a story, but scenarised in a Hollywood-way, with all the cliché modern ways of filming something. Not my thing I guess :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013