What was wrong with Meteora?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Agent, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Neotriple

Neotriple LPA VIP LPA VIP

Just saw this thread at work, thought I'd add my 2 cents:

When band's in general release their sophomore effort, people tend to want more of the same thing. Pretty much: Meteora was KEY to Linkin Park's success today. If LP had gone and done a Minutes to Midnight instead of Meteora, their popularity might not have grown so much, since tracks like 'Somewhere I belong' and 'Numb' and 'Breaking the Habit' were key to a LOT of their success. If Linkin Park had released Minutes to Midnight too early, this TOO rapid of change could have reduced their fanbase too rapidly, but by making sure Meteora came out first, their fan base was big enough already, where, they KNEW they were going to lose some of their fans, but, that was there choice. [Honestly, I love the new album].

People hate change: In the music industry, a band has to establish themselves by showing they are a good, strong, band, usually with two to three albums before they try anything radically different from their original sound, so the world knows they are there to stay, and can be a power house in multiple genres. By showing they can produce TWO albums with HUGE singles, people knew that, and LP had successfully established themselves. They just first needed a bigger fan base.

Pretty much: Marketing.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  2. Xenogenesis

Xenogenesis Well-Known Member

No, it wasn't. Meteora had a higher score on Metacritic than Minutes To Midnight, scoring 62/100 over Minutes To Midnight 56/100. Meteora is mostly underrated for LP Fans and critics and Minutes To Midnight is underrated heavily by critics, and some fans as well. Meh.

3. Sucre06

Sucre06 The Bartender

Hit the floor, I do not understand this song so far * :ermm: *

4. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Stop. Bumping. Old. Threads.

5. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Well, while we're in this thread, I thought I could point out how much I agree with neotriples post above.

6. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I can't say Meteora was key to Linkin Parks success. Or even a big factor in it, really, since I don't think a lot of people really remember how mammoth they were in that 2001-2002 period. I highly doubt they premeditated everything out enough to think about how they should make a samey-enough album with just enough newness to shoehorn in something new so it would take. Look at Meteora, and most of the 'newer' elements were already on Hybrid Theory and most of the time it was better (Numbs screaming sissy rawk is a poor mans Crawling, Somewhere I Belong is almost exactly In The End part 2).

That really brings me to my own problem with 'Whats wrong with Meteora', like 80% of it they already did, and did way better right before.

7. Agreed. In my opinion, In The End is what made Linkin Park one of the most popular artists today.

8. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Meteora was more or less the creation of Warner Bros. because they wanted to capitalize on the success of HT. LP used to tell the story that they "wrote a second album, then trashed it to avoid the sophomore curse."

Translation: We were writing an album that sounded more down-tempo and industrial (see demos: Halo, Unfortunate) but Warner wanted to milk the cash cow that was nu-metal so they sent in Don Gilmore to help us make Hybrid Theory part 2.

That's what's wrong with Meteora. It isn't all bad, Breaking The Habit and Easier To Run are good songs. Nobody's Listening, though not the greatest song ever, gets some creativity points for the Japanese flute. But it seems like too much of an attempt at re-creating success rather than being honest art (which is what music is; art).

9. BlackedOut

BlackedOut Zero

This thread is so bumped, and so was Meteora.

10. Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

:lol:

I think that he's bumped about 100 old threads.

11. Doris The Spider

Doris The Spider Who-ligan

Meteora was my first LP album. I love it! So, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Yeah, it was the same thing as Hybird Theory but I don't see the problem. :/ They were still a new band and most bands don't changed their sound on a second album. In fact, it seems most bands don't change their sound until their 3rd or 4th album.

12. GekiLPL

GekiLPL Guest

I don't think there is anything wrong with Meteora. I love a lot of the songs on the album and Faint was the song that got me hardcore into Linkin Park. Meteora sold a lot of copies and was a pretty big album. The only thing I had a problem is if that LP tried to recreate Hybrid Theory and Meteora for MTM, but luckily they didn't. Which is why MTM is still my favorite LP album.

13. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Wow, Sucre's digging deep with this necroposting spree...

In any case, I think the better question is "What ISN'T wrong with Meteora?"

Mostly because that list is a lot shorter.

14. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Preach on, sista!

15. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Only things I can think of are the title of the album and Session.

16. GekiLPL

GekiLPL Guest

As well as the fact that nearly every song on the album sounded like they could have been on Hybrid Theory...but to each his own.

17. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

You think that's a good thing?

18. Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I would also add "Catchy as fuck" to the list. Because it is (which is why I'll give it a spin every now and then).

19. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Because it isn't the album that LP really wanted to put out, and WB can go EABOD because of it.

20. Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Enjoy a bouquet of daffodils?