Your album of the day 2

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by lime treacle, Jul 14, 2015.

1. chris2

chris2 Smiling At Strangers On Trains LPA Super Member

Northlane - Mesmer (Progressive Metalcore)

[​IMG]

This album dropped out of nowhere this year and it's one of the best. Beautiful vocals, passionate screams and fantastic riffage.

2. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

[​IMG]

KonKeR-182 likes this.
  3. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Linkin Park - The Hunting Party
    Genre: Alternative metal / alternative rock

[​IMG]

4. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

GUNDAM - GUNDAM001

[​IMG]

Modern Guitar God likes this.
  5. chris2

Shadow Of Intent - Primordial (Symphonic Deathcore)

[​IMG]

Shadow Of Intent - Reclaimer (Symphonic Deathcore)

[​IMG]

6. LP Soldier 01

LP Soldier 01 True LP Soldier

[​IMG]
    The White Stripes - Elephant
    Genre: Alternative Rock; Garage Rock; Blues Rock; Punk Blues

Great record overall. I love the instrumentation throughout the whole album, but the vocals could have been better and Meg White could have more singing parts. I found out they're no longer making music as a band, but that's a shame considering how good this album is.

Modern Guitar God likes this.
  7. Sasuke

Bring Me the Horizon - That's the Spirit
    Genre: Alternative rock

[​IMG]

Purity Ring - another eternity
    Genre: Electropop

[​IMG]

:wub:

TobinKnowsBest and LP Soldier 01 like this.
  8. LP Soldier 01

[​IMG]
    Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness
    Genre: Contemporary Folk
    Really liked her voice, the overall consistency of the album, the way she welcomed different sounds like the harmonica as well as the nature vibe in some songs with the sound of the waves. Very soothing, dark and beautiful at the same time. Never as dark as Chelsea Wolfe, but her voice embraces the listener and gets the listener going very well all the way through the album. Not too big of a replay value, unfortunately, but it's a record that almost never becomes boring.

[​IMG]
    Julien Baker - Turn Out The Lights
    Genre: Folk; Singer-Songwriter
    This album is almost perfect. Her voice is one of the best among the folk and neofolk artists I've heard. I really enjoy the way she incorporates the piano into her music, which, combined with her amazing voice and the great strings arrangements all throughout, make this album one of the best 2017 albums, both instrumentally and vocally. I can't pick any flaw in this, but this is without looking at the lyrical content. There are highlights like the intro, the lead single, the songs Turn Out The Lights and Hurt Less, but even the deep cuts are very good.

[​IMG]
    Alvvays - Antisocialites
    Genre: Indie Pop; Dream Pop
    One of the best albums of 2017, glad I gave it a listen. It's very colorful and has a great energy, having a great instrumentation all throughout with some sticky melodies. The vocals are very good as well because her voice sounds good despite not being too diverse. The flaws of this album are mostly related to slight errors in some songs in which either the vocals or the instruments are too loud in the whole mix, making it hard to focus on the song as a whole without paying more attention to the what is louder. Highlights are Dreams Tonite, Plimsoll Punks, Your Type, Not My Baby and Saved By A Waif.

[​IMG]
    Wolf Alice - Visions Of A Life
    Genre: Alternative Rock; Noise Rock
    Not a brilliant record, but has some pretty good songs. I liked the vocals for the most part, but most of the lyrics were not that good. The rock vibe works well with her voice, but they could have worked better on the choruses to give the songs a bigger impact and probably sing the same way every time since when she tries to do different things she falls short. Some songs still stood out to me, like Yuk Foo for its energy, Beautifully Unconventional, Formidable Cool, Sadboy and St Purple and Green. The length of the album didn't help either. The best part of the album is the overall instrumentation, but it's not one to come back to many times.

[​IMG]
    Feist - Pleasure
    Genre: Indie Pop; Folk; Baroque Pop
    She is very versatile in her singing, finding different ways to make the song stand out. The instrumentation is very varied in terms of the sounds she uses and the different paces during the same song. She can start a song in a more rock vibe, go to folk and and back to rock in the same song. The lyrics are good as well, dealing with themes like loneliness, secrets, shame, tenderness, rejection. The way she plays the guitar is quite good as well and the songs flow well, even though they could flow even better. The highlights are the quirky lead single Pleasure, I Wish I Didn't Miss You, Get Not High, Get Not Low, Lost Dreams, Any Party and Century.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  9. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Hi guys! I wanted to stop in and see what everyone has been listening to. I haven't been very caught up lately, I've never been as caught up as I was was when I was active haha. So! These are my albums of the day(s of the year):

Circa Survive- The Amulet
    Pvris- All We know of Heaven, All We Need of Hell
    Shadow of Intent- Reclaimer
    Mastodon- Emperor of Sand
    Warbringer-Woe to the Vanquished
    Linkin Park- One More Light
    Royal Thunder- Wisk
    Goatwhore- Vengeful Ascension
    Aborted- Bathos
    Enslaved- E
    Bell Witch- Mirror Reaper

Just stuff from this year. I'm still working on listening to other stuff from this year, but a couple albums and bands took over my Playlist.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    chris2 and Modern Guitar God like this.
  10. LP Soldier 01

[​IMG]
    Arctic Monkeys - Favorite Worst Nightmare
    Genre: Indie Rock; Alternative Rock; Post-Punk Revival; Garage Rock Revival
    I really like this album. Good lyrics, awesome melodies that arevery crafty and catchy at the same time. Vocally really good as well. The only nitpick is the fact that this record is not as catchy as their latest AM. The garage rock vibe reminds me of The White Stripes, but Arctic Monkeys take it to the next level with a catchier sound, better production and better melodies than Jack White's band did. Another thing that helps this album's cause is the short duration. The highlights are Brianstorm, Fluorescent Adolescent, Old Yellow Bricks, Balaclava, Do Me A Favour and 505 I am curious for the upcoming Arctic Monkeys album, but I still have to listen to Whatever People Say I AM, That's What I'm Not at least, I'm thinking of skipping Humbug and Suck It and See.

[​IMG]
    Radiohead - In Raibows
    Genre: Alternative Rock; Art Rock; Experimental Rock; Art Pop
    More of the same, except that this album sounds more quirky for the most part. The instrumentation is once again the clear standout because of the way Thom Yorke sings which hardly ever allows the listener to get the lyrics at first listen and, as a consequence of that, it becomes harder to connect to their songs other than just enjoying the way the instruments sound. In terms of instrumentation I think this album falls short to Kid A, Ok Computer and A Moon Shaped Pool while also dragging and getting and bit boring at times. For me the standout tracks are 15 Step, Faust Arp, Jigsaw Falling Into Place and Videotape.

11. chris2

:headbang: Reclaimer is seriously one hell of an album! One of my favourites from last year, too. Ben Duerr (the vocalist) is a beast, not to forget their guitarist Chris Wiseman. He's also in the band Currents and his riffing simply rules.

Wintersun - Wintersun 2.0 (Melodic Death Metal)

[​IMG]

Wintersun - Time 1.5 (Melodic Death Metal)

[​IMG]

Wintersun - The Forest Seasons (Melodic Death Metal)

[​IMG]

Modern Guitar God and Erica like this.
  12. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Green Day - American Idiot
    Genre: Pop-Punk // Punkrock
    [​IMG]

KonKeR-182 and Modern Guitar God like this.
  13. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Linkin Park - The Hunting Party

[​IMG]

Pink Floyd - The Wall

[​IMG]

14. LP Soldier 01

[​IMG]
    Queens Of The Stone Age - Like Clockwork
    Genre: Alternative Rock; Hard Rock; Desert Rock; Stoner Rock; Art Rock

I really appreciated how well written the lyrics are, being ironic and real at the same time because most of them speak of how Josh Homme felt after being in comatose after having gone through a surgery to his knee, how hard it was for him to get back to how he was before that near death experience (which he couldn't fully achieve) as he states he was dead and was given a second chance, although it feels like some pieces of what he was were lost.
    The lyrics are the most interesting part since the vocals always seem a bit lost in the sound, which makes it harder to connect to the music by the voice and some melodies and riffs fail to get stuck in my head. It's the same feeling I had when I listened to Villains. but Villains had a more pleasing sound from what I recall. No song shines more than the others, but none is horrible either, Fairweather Friendsand I Appear Missing seem the best, but not by far. Still, that undermines the replay factor. Overall an ok album, can't give it more than a 6/10.

[​IMG]
    Julien Baker - Sprained Ankle
    Genre: Folk

The lyrics are the strongest part of this album, exploring anxiety, pain, her relationship with God and religion, loneliness and addiction. I was impressed by how layered the lyrics were, most of the times with two possible interpretations. She explores her pain in a more despondent way in this record, but it ends up needing something more sonically, since it's mostly guitar and vocals with very little pianos, even though she combines these elements quite well, but even her vocals sound too shadowy and lost in the background most of the time. The standouts are Something, Rejoice and Everybody Does becaue while she keeps exploring her pain, anguish, loneliness and religion, she manages to make her voice shine. I also found this album very emotional and comforting, just like the sophomore album, but I feel like the sophomore did that while sounding more vibrant in most songs and with catchier melodies and lyrics as well as showing a glimpse of hope in her quite dark music that she didn't show on this debut album.

15. chris2

Circa Survive - On Letting Go (Rock/Post-Hardcore)

[​IMG]

Circa Survive - Violent Waves (Rock/Post-Hardcore)

[​IMG]

Fantastic band! I've only gotten into them recently, but they're already overtaking my playlists! Anthony's voice is so mesmerising.
    Felt kinda down the last few days and this helps me cope with it a little bit.

16. Sasuke

Wafia - VIII (EP)
    Genre: Indie pop / electropop

[​IMG]

EDEN - vertigo
    Genre: indie / alternative pop

[​IMG]

Of Mice & Men - Defy
    Genre: Metalcore / post-hardcore

[​IMG]

17. KonKeR-182

KonKeR-182 excuse me for my plastic taste

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory EP
    [​IMG]

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
    [​IMG]

Linkin Park - Meteora
    [​IMG]

Linkin Park - One More Light
    [​IMG]

Joji - Chloe Burbank
    [​IMG]

Joji - In Tongues
    [​IMG]

18. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Rihanna - Anti

[​IMG]

Captain-EO likes this.
  19. chris2

Invent Animate - Everchanger (Progressive Metalcore)

[​IMG]

Invent Animate - Stillworld (Progressive Metalcore)

[​IMG]

One of my favourite bands atm. Reminds me of old Northlane.

20. LP Soldier 01

[​IMG]
    Taylor Swift - Fearless
    Genre: Country Pop

This album is much better than what I had thought at first listen. Not much of sing-along potential like in Soeak Now, 1989, Red or Reputation, but a lot of instrumental quality, variety and some true storytelling with lyrics which seem more genuine. Instrumentally not as good as Speak Now, 1989 or Red, but a great country pop album with some great drumming, melodies and even guitar solos. Vocally still not on point, though when considering how well her voice sounds in 1989 and the latest album.

[​IMG]
    First Aid Kit - Stay Gold
    Genre: Indie Folk; Country Folk; Americana

This is the best album I've heard from this Swedish duo with the vocal interplay sounding much better than on the previous effort The Lion's Roar, the melodies are much more consistent while the overall sound is a clear step up from that album with the strings sounding much better and the vocals are really crisp, the songs feel much more connected to each other and even if it's not that well built lyrically, it still has some pretty relatable lines. The replay factor is also higher on this record, but it could have been higher if it was catchier. Highlights are My Silver Lining, Master Pretender, Stay Gold, Cedar Lane, Fleeting One, Heaven Knows and the slow piano ballad A Long Time Ago.